Outdoors
Sponsored by

Krill

1,841 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jayelbee
Slamn Sharpe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Is outdoors"

Found this bottle cap on the beach while walking Galveston. It had 3 krill in it which I thought was pretty cool. Probably my first time to see krill in person. The smaller of the two was very active. There was another that was even smaller but its not in the photo

bam02
AG
I've found a bunch like that just finding large chucks of sargassum and shaking it out into a bucket. Didn't think about them being krill. I assumed it was baby shrimp.
Slamn Sharpe
bam02 said:

I've found a bunch like that just finding large chucks of sargassum and shaking it out into a bucket. Didn't think about them being krill. I assumed it was baby shrimp.

I initially thought it was baby shrimp as well. Maybe one of the Sea Ag's can chime in?
bam02
AG
IS ANYONE HERE A MARINE BIOLOGIST!?!?!?
Ragoo
AG
I watch enough Octonauts to o ow that those are baby shrimp do do to do do do
tmaggies
AG
Krill boil anyone?
malenurse
AG
tmaggies said:

Krill boil anyone?
Man, and I thought peeling and eating crawfish was a lot of work with little return
Bottlerocket
AG
Ragoo said:

I watch enough Octonauts to o ow that those are baby shrimp do do to do do do

Creature report!
Those are Sargassum Shrimp. Cool little guys that prefer to hang out in and on the sargassum weed.

They are tiny shrimp that do not exceed an inch or so and hang around cover for protection.

If you grab a clump of floating sargassum clump before it actually washes ashore, and shake it vigorously inside a 5 gallon bucket, you will see several shrimp as well as other small camouflaged critters ( crabs, file fish, sargassum fish, nudibranchs, etc ) fall out into the bucket. Don't bother with trying it using the sargassum that has washed ashore already. When it does, the critters abandon their beached home to find another floating home or die.

All of the critters that live in/on the sargassum are remarkably well camouflaged to look just like the sargassum, so you have to look carefully. Besides they are all small, about = 1 inch or less.

This page has a lot of images of various sargassum shrimp and others.....

Sargassum Shrimp Images
bam02
AG
TailG8TR said:

All of the critters that live in/on the sargassum are remarkably well camouflaged to look just like the sargassum, so you have to look carefully. Besides they are all small, about = 1 inch or less.

No kidding! We caught one of these in a seining net years ago. Crazy adaptation!

Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Yeah, if you have little kids when you go to the beach and there are weed clumps floating in, if you have a collander type strainer you can scoop it up and shake it in the strainer. Lots of great stuff for them to see.

The bucket trick works too.
Slamn Sharpe
Very cool. I love learning and this was good stuff
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Strain, purge and run through a blender for a bisque?
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.