Outdoors
Sponsored by

Surf fishing with artificials..

2,807 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SquirrellyDan
nealan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm in Galveston for a couple of days . How well does surf fishing with artificial lures work?? I see a few guys fishing and I think about 1 out of 5 is using some type of artificial lure .. in thinking about making a trip to Walmart and grabbing a rod and some big rattle traps or something . TIA!!
barney94
AG
I've had luck fishing saltwater assassins or gulp shrimp on a jig head, but just depends on water conditions and luck.

One morning camping at Matagorda, woke up at daybreak and staggered down to the water and me and my buddies were pulling in keeper specks on just about every cast for like an hour.

Have also had some luck with a big silver spoon.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Soft plastics, spoons, topwaters. Same stuff you'd use in the bay/flats.
Gig 'em! '90
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I've had good luck in the surf this time of year with an intermediate sinking mirrolure in red and white
FIDO 96
AG
We are headed to Santa Monica / Malibu for a quick back to school trip. When surf fishing , do you cast perpendicular to the waves and fish the calm between breakers or so you cast parallel?
SteveBott
AG
Back to surf in Galveston. If you can wade to green water take your pick of bait. If brown water work on the tan, BBQ, and beer.
Mowdy Ag
AG
It's been a few years but we regularly smoked the specks in the surf at Cedar Bayou (Matagorda / St Joseph) this time of year (best at sunrise). My go-to was H&H Cocahoe in avocado firecracker w/ red tail dip. ...just had to watch out for the black tips (and a few bulls) looking for an easy meal when a fish was on.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I've always had good luck in the surf with a small or medium sized Johnson Sprite. With the right rod you can cast them sum*****es pretty far out into the trough.
Ikanizer
AG
Pink tout or Tony Acetta gold spoon.
chickenfingers
AG
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/h-h-lures-tko-shrimp

This under a popping cork is easy to use and will work if they're there
nealan
Thanks guys! Someone on our trip with us was at Walmart. I had them pick up a rod reel combo and some lures. Unfortunately, the combos didn't come spooled and I don't have any line with me . Facepalm. So I'll pick up some line today and try this evening
nealan
As far as water color right now. It kind of looks like old avocado. A mix of green and brown and then breaks to a sort of aqua and blue mix. But , that's far far out . So, I'm not sure how to interpret that
FTAco07
AG
Always had good luck with 3/4 ounce Johnson sprite in the surf and you can cast those things a mile
jefe95
AG
Fished the surf in Alabama a few weeks back. I hit a few on just a casting spoon. Get some distance with that have some hits. Caught bluefish, a Spanish, and some ladyfish. Wasn't trying to fill a cooler. Just having some fun
Brahma
Johnson sprite gold or silver and get a few different sizes. Sometimes they like them smaller. And don't forget to get a pack of small swivels with the clips on them. It helps the spoon spin better.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Gulp shrimp on a jig head bounced off the bottom. Color doesn't seem to matter if they're biting. Lot of people use spoons, maybe my technique is off but I never have luck with them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.