Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bass Fishing vs. Fly Fishing

1,477 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by shiftyandquick
FbgTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just bought a 22' Airstream and I'm wanting to head NW to boondock, hike, and try fly fishing.

But I've never fly fished.

So obviously I've gotta get some gear (I DO have some waders from fishing for reds and specs in the bay, and some floundering) but I don't have a clue about fly fishing.

Don't even know where to start on not only obtaining some beginner gear, but even where to go, license requirements, etiquette, etc. Hell I don't even know if you can eat them or if they're catch and release only or slotted?

Thanks in advance OB.

The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Youtube is your friend. Orvis has instructional videos online.
Gig 'em! '90
chocolatelabs
AG
What city do you live in?
FbgTxAg
AG
chocolatelabs said:

What city do you live in?
Fredericksburg, Texas
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Here ya go

https://hcff.org/index.html
Gig 'em! '90
OnlyForNow
AG
Look up the orvis YouTube videos they actually do
A great job of teaching you the basics.

You'll need to get some hands on lessons though, to at least point you in some of the right directions. But I imagine you can find someone and ask and they'd be happy to help (not real paid lessons)
Stat Monitor Repairman
In addition to fly gear, I'd bring a good ultralight rod or two with 4lb test. When you get up into Wyoming, Montana area there signs for pull offs on the highway where you can jump out and fish. Most were places where wading was impractical for whatever reason. Also a lot of BLM and forest roads where you can fish from the river bank.
cupofjoe04
AG
Agree with others- Orvis videos are where to start.

Some fly shops also offer monthly free casting instructions- I know one of our does here in Pagosa Springs. Google that as well.

As far as your questions about regs- you would have to give us some specific areas to get specific answers. The regs will vary everywhere you go- and sometimes different sections of river have different regulations (they make some trophy waters, some fly only, some barbless, some allow bait, etc). It shouldn't be too hard to research the regs wherever you are going, through state or local wildlife offices/websites.

I would highly recommend getting out with a guide at least a time or two. You will learn so much just by watching how he reads the water, approaches a run or hole, controls his drift, chooses his flies... etc. Ask loads of questions.
FBG_Ag78
AG
Here's the site for our club: www.fredericksburgflyfishers.com/
We meet the second Thursday. Good bunch of folks. Come, join us.

Also, go talk to Martin Pursch '56 at his shop, The Country Flyfisher at 1974 Goehmann Lane. Call first 830-990-9453

Lots of other resources close by. PM me if you want to talk.
rather be fishing
AG
If you want the best of both worlds, Noxon and Cabinet Gorge Reservoirs have one of the best northern largemouth fisheries (not to mention small mouth, walleye, and pike), and plenty of great fly fishing options in the area. Noxon produced the Montana State record largemouth at 8.26lbs. Acquaintance up here caught a fish in a B.A.S.S. tournament a couple of months ago that was 8.25.

It's also a beautiful area. I'm more satisfied with my move every day.
Drip99
AG
What kind of rod should a beginner get that's looking to be able to fish for bass, trout on the guad and trout in the high country? Would that require multiple rods? Sorry for my ignorance.
Duncan Idaho
If they are back to doing them, the orvis 101 class is good way to spend a Saturday morning if you are interested learning about the sport. You will get about an hour of casting instruction. Which will be a big help.

Best part is you get a few coupons for their flyfishing stuff which rarely goes on Sale. The orvis Clearwater combos are a pretty good value. You used to be able to upgrade the line and keep the package discount. For someone coming into the sport the idea of $100 line will seem insane but it does make a huge difference.

The standard 9' 5wt will serve you for most bass, panfish and trout fishing.

I also recommend the Mad River outfitters intro videos on YouTube.
FunkyTownAg
AG
9ft 5WT is the most versatile type of rod. You can also push the rod up or down a half weight by adding 1 WT heavier or lighter line. I started out like this and it worked for awhile. However, eventually you will just buy multiple rods for each type of fishing. I pretty much only use my 9'8WT for bass/redfish and a 9'4WT for trout. Just have to decide to spend the money now or later.
jpb1999
AG
I'm in same boat as OP, but always wondered if I could catch the same fish (Like heading up north to catch trout, etc) with a normal rig? Would I HAVE to fly fish?
tony
AG
You don't have to fly fish. I did half fly half spin in Colorado last week. Caught way more on the spin rod.
ratfacemcdougal
ALWAYS check the regs where ever you go. There are areas everywhere that are fly fish only, catch and release only, barbless hooks....etc.
tony
AG
There aren't a ton of fly only Places. in New mexiCo and Colorado there are no bait, single barbless hooks, and other restrictions but
AgDad121619
AG
JesusQuintana said:

What kind of rod should a beginner get that's looking to be able to fish for bass, trout on the guad and trout in the high country? Would that require multiple rods? Sorry for my ignorance.

Start with a 5 wt rod - good for trout, panfish, and small bass - if you really get into it you can start accumulating more technique specific rods. And you don't need to wait until you get out west to start. Farm ponds and bream are a great way to get started and you are surrounded by the best rivers is Texas for fly fishin for bass - S Llano state park is great place to wade and fish.

And I agree on the ultralite spinning rod - great backup for western rivers and can save a trip. A few mepps in lines spinners and spoons like a buoyant will catch the he'll out of trout.
Strongwind86
AG
I really have nothing to add other than this...
(For the record I don't fly fish.....)

FbgTxAg
AG
Any of you veteran fly fisherman mind jumping on Amazon for 5 minutes and recommending one of the fly rod starter kits? They've got a dozen or more full kits ranging from $85 - $120ish, but I have no idea which one might be better.

Thanks in advance! And yes I'll be taking one of my regular spinner rod/reels and a few lures.

shiftyandquick
I posted the same question more than 10 years ago, and got a lot of very detailed recommendations, which I followed religiously, and they have served me well.

I sort of got everything at once. But you don't need to do that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.