Outdoors
Sponsored by

Old old family table put to use

2,271 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fightingfarmer09
fightingfarmer09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So we are emptying out the homestead as the house is really starting to fall apart fast and it was time to bring this table home and put it to use.

The family settled outside of Houston on the Brazos river and we still run cows there today. During that time they ran multiple businesses including a small sawmill (we still have the old equipment). Which leads to this old table. Our best records show that the table was made from wood cut on the farm, processed in their sawmill, and finally constructed by one of my great uncles.

My kids will be the 5th generation to sit and eat at it. Gonna fry up some fish we caught on my oldest's first fishing trip earlier this summer.

Pretty awesome.

cavscout96
AG
very cool
Wearer of the Ring
AG
beautiful
GSPag`
Great story!
Post removed:
by user
TwoMarksHand
AG
Beautiful.
cupofjoe04
AG
This is the most OB thing I've seen in a great while. Well done!
EskimoJoe
very neat, and a great backstory as well!
tony
AG
I went back to our old family farm in Canada when I was a kid. Similar table but it's also where my grandma and all 12 of her siblings were born!
Jason C.
AG
Cool table.

If the house it's coming out of is its contemporary, there's probably a lot of valuable wood in it. Don't just let it demo and rot by neglect. If you don't want to do anything for a while, put a cheap roof on it, cover broken windows, etc.
fightingfarmer09
I did not expect so much interest. So here is the other piece we saved.

This is the bench that goes with the table. While not as old it also has a story. Built by a family friend Gerhard in 1978. He immigrated from the home country (Germany) and came to Texas, because my family was the best contact he had some years before building this bench. My Grandpa was able to secure him a job with his employer, despite Gerhard not knowing a word of English. My Grandpa would act as translator and help him navigate working with customers and English speaking coworkers in order for him to keep his job.

As a way to show his gratitude he built this bench as a replacement for the original bench that was beyond saving.

While not the highest quality antique by many standards, it was built with the best materials he could afford and signed on the bottom.

As for the house. Sadly it is beyond saving at this point. We have taken much of the high value wood out of it at this point, but it is a matter of time before it falls apart. We have no intention of putting more into it, but hope to save as much as possible before it goes.
herbie
S
If more people helped folks like your Grandpa did there would be a LOT LESS STRIFE in the world.
herbie
fightingfarmer09
Agreed. Never met the man, but I like to hold on to things that were his. I'm told he was a great man.
tmaggies
AG
Love the history
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Do you have any pictures of the old sawmill equipment?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
fightingfarmer09
I have them somewhere. The blades are 3-4' in diameter and they use to run it off a belt from a tractor.

I bookmarked this and will take a photo next time I can.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.