Outdoors
Sponsored by

Seeding Bermuda?

1,253 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jayelbee
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will it do ok in the August heat if i put enough water on it? Trying to establish grass on a levee about 25' wide by 200' long. After a soil test, i added nitrogen and pelletized limestone to it a couple weeks back. Ive got drums and a 4gpm sprayer pump. How much water will it need for germination and to keep it alive? Any other suggestions?
Jbob04
AG
Gonna be hard to get it going. I would probably wait a month and then put rye grass on it for the fall/winter and then plant warm season grasses next spring.
BQ_90
AG
if you seed it with annuals this fall, use unhulled bermuada seed. The seed coat will take winter to break down and will germ next spring.

don't use ryegrass if you seed this fall, its too agrressive and honestly doesn't provide good winter cover since it's mostly grows March-May.

Use oats and rye, not ryegrass, they are different.
texAZtea
AG
Where are you generally? That might change the advice you get too.
Apache
AG
If you can keep enough water on it, it'll grow like crazy.
When I establish bermuda lawns with seed this time of year, we water 3 times per day - just enough to keep the soil damp.
I'd say you're better off waiting 4-6 weeks when the weather is a little more forgiving & you can water less.
allMondjoy
Be ready to see more weeds than burmuda for a good while!
tamc93
AG
Consider some curlex/erosion control matting on the slopes and water away. You should have a couple of months to get it going. You may want to over seed for a cool season grass in the bare areas.
CS78
Its near college station. I put out hulled bermuda last week after the rains we got. It was drying out fast but some has sprouted already. I was able to water it good today and will do more seed and water tomorrow.

At this point, weeds are fine. I can deal with them later. Its crazy how many things are sprouting when the soil was just pulled from so far down.

Theres a bunch of vines popping up that i think are a wild morning glory.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.