Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wyoming fishing and backpacking trip

2,131 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PharmD4
Sublette County
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since our Belize trip was cancelled, my wife and I decided to take a fly fishing trip to Wyoming instead. We backpacked the Bridger Wilderness in the Wind River range for 5 days, with a goal of finding some elusive golden trout, and preferably a big one. Amazing place, and tough hiking with heavy packs at over 10,000 feet.

We found a lake with a bunch of small golden trout, or maybe goldenbows that were more than willing to rise to a dry fly.

At sunset, the lake was boiling with rising fish.

Scenery was nice.

Made it up to a lake above the tree line that I was wanting to fish, hoping it might have some big Goldens. Due to weather delays, we didn't get there until 5:00pm, leaving us only 1.5 hours to fish before we needed to start hiking back to camp. We had several hookups that shook off, but with 5 minutes left I landed the 16" Golden I was looking for.

Caught a rainbow on the way back down.

Back at the trailhead after hiking 35 miles and catching a bunch of fish.

And then a leisurely drive to Grey's River the next day for some cutthroats.

All in all, it was the best trip I've ever taken. I'm now consumed by a desire to move to Western Wyoming. Anyone know of some job openings out there?

johnrth
Beautiful golden. I'll be up there in 2 weeks doing the same thing minus the camping. Just long day hikes in the back country. I'm doing a day hike to Union Falls in Yellowstone and stopping to fish the Falls River on our way out. I've read it's a good river to fish with minimal anglers. I also plan to fish the Green River underneath square top mountain in the Wind River Range.
harge57
AG
See any mule deer? I have a tag in that region.
Sublette County
AG
We actually did, saw a big doe on our way out at lower elevation in the wilderness (relatively), 9,300 feet.
Sublette County
AG
Make sure you have bear spray with you, supposedly the area along the Green River has more grizzly and black bear activity than the area we were in.
OilManAg91
AG
Great post and tanks for the pictures. The Wind Rivers are the best kept secret in the country.
OilManAg91
AG
Johnrth, post how you do fishing the GR. It's be 30 yrs since I fished that area but I'm trying to go back next year. And post pictures of the GR lakes as they are incredibly beautiful.
IDAGG
AG
civilaggie2011, great post!! That is how you OB!! Beautiful country and great fish. I have never been to the Wind Rivers. I may need to go.
12thAngryMan
AG
Looks awesome. How much of that scenery is accessible via day hikes?
Sublette County
AG
There are a few day hikes with nice views (Photographers' Point for example, 9 mile round trip), but the most epic views are near or above the tree line and require at minimum 1-2 nights in a tent. If you're looking to do only day hikes, Yellowstone and Teton will have better opportunities for that.
Patriarch
AG
You've got a keeper! No way I could get my wife to go on a trip like that. But I'd love it!
OilManAg91
AG
Civilag...can you post your hiking route as I might want to duplicate your trip next year. Thanks.
Sublette County
AG
We did the basic route from Elkhart Park outside of Pinedale up to Island Lake (we spent one night at Seneca Lake before getting to Island). The view on the trail before descending to Island Lake might be the best scene you can find anywhere on the continent. I didn't post a picture of that view because it's on our DLSR camera, we haven't uploaded our good pics yet...these are all iPhone shots. From Island Lake you can set up a basecamp and take day hikes in any direction...Elbow Lake, Titcomb Basin, Wall Lake, etc.

Will you be fly fishing on the trip?
jsdaltxag
You've got a keeper if she will do 35 miles. Most won't do 3.5 miles.

Looks like you had a great trip. I've spent the last 5 years or so trying to figure out a way to move/work up there.
wyoag77
AG
OilManAg91 said:

Great post and tanks for the pictures. The Wind Rivers are the best kept secret in the country.
....and we would like to keep it that way.....
30wedge
Very nice pics! Thanks so much for sharing them.
TommyGun
AG
"All in all, it was the best trip I've ever taken. I'm now consumed by a desire to move to Western Wyoming. Anyone know of some job openings out there?"

Do it. I had the time of my life living there. Jobs are actually more available than you might think for that region if you're an engineer.
shiftyandquick
I have relatives in Western Wyoming. It's been a dream of mine to own my own place out there. Thanks for posting the pics and telling us about your adventure.
dmart90
AG
Wow! Looks like a great trip!
sjislepilot
AG
That's one heck of a keeper you got there
PharmD4
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.