Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cooler Recommendation?

3,893 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Buck Turgidson
12th Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for a decently capable, moderately priced cooler to take out on the boat. I know Yetis are the schizz-nazz (that's in case my daughters read this...), but I just can't bring myself to outlay THAT much for a damned cooler. Anybody had success with something from a lower shelf?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Check out Engel Coolers.
aTm2004
AG
How big of a cooler are you needing?
AgEng06
AG
Hey, I saw where RTIC is offering financing now! Buy one of each of their coolers.
rally-cap
AG
You really can't beat an RTIC for the price. That's what I use, and I've never regretted not going with a Yeti
Hoyt Ag
AG
I have 2 large Engels on my offshore boat and 2 on my bay boat. LOVE them. RTIC is good for the money but the Engels are tought to beat IMO.
StoneCold99
AG
RTIC. The owner is an Ag I believe?
FIDO*98*
AG
Legend makes some nice coolers for the $
Billy Foster
AG
Anyone have any Lifetime coolers from Walmart? I typically try to buy something with wheels but these have decent reviews and there's a few "ice challenges" posted on YouTube where they seem to perform well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-77-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler-Grey-90903/775870674

aggiepaintrain
AG
otterbox makes coolers now

CrawfordAg
AG
Keep an eye on facebook marketplace, I was able to find an RTIC 65 for $75 that was only used once for a river trip. Good deals to be had if you keep your eyes peeled.
SharkinAg
AG
CrawfordAg said:

Keep an eye on facebook marketplace, I was able to find an RTIC 65 for $75 that was only used once for a river trip. Good deals to be had if you keep your eyes peeled.

My guess is most of those are stolen. Easy to sell.
Aggietaco
AG
Lots of folks buy a cooler, never use it, and sell it. I've collected more coolers than necessary over the years and sold them via CL and FB.
Aggie Apple
AG
I just dealt with RTIC on a warranty issue. My cooler was just over a year old and past the warranty date, but they honored it anyway and replaced for free. Was an easy and fast process. This was on a soft cooler.
CTGilley
AG
I had a soft cooler I got as a gift. I had an issue the first time I used it. They would not even talk to me since I did not have the receipt.
Ogre09
AG
Igloo

Made in Houston
RAB87
AG
I have a Kodi and love it. It's the brand sold at H-E-B. Of course it's a YETI knock off but cheaper and I like the vacuum release button.
Aggie Apple
AG
CTGilley said:

I had a soft cooler I got as a gift. I had an issue the first time I used it. They would not even talk to me since I did not have the receipt.

I'm sorry to hear that. I ordered mine through their website so they had records of purchase date, etc.
Old Sarge
AG
Specific use on boat?

For storage with cushioned seating behind console= Igloo. Same for in front of console for use in icing down fish. Save weight wherever possible (I fish backwater).

For standing on, as casting platform on front deck and food/bev storage= YETI 50 (strapped down and with SeaDeck for safety)

If just for drinks, etc that you'll be putting in and out repeatedly, a mid size/cost soft side (see RTIC, Polar, or Yukon here)

Still prob would not have a hard side rotomolded cooler if not for need of casting platform and separate drink/food storage from fish cooler ( doesn't bother me, but the wife and son get grossed out).

WC87
AG
RTIC or Legend
CrawfordAg
AG
I am sure that happens a lot but this guy lived in fairly affluent neighborhood and drove a nice 2020 Ford. His reasoning was by the time they filled the 65 with ice and beer it was around 200 lbs and a PIA to drag that to the tube place and had issues with it fitting on the cooler tube. His mistake is my find, fits perfectly in the back of my truck and use it for camping and road trips, never plan on carrying it further than 20 yards. Thats what my yeti backpack and softside coolers are for.
Buck Turgidson
FIDO*98* said:

They make the roto molded coolers with the most features for the price. Better overall value than any brand I've seen.
texags08
AG
RTIC for rotomold, I'll never buy a Yeti Rotomold when RTIC is essentially the same thing

For soft side Yeti is superior and worth the money if you need a bigger cooler. If you need a smaller soft side I would go ice mule classic. They are air insulated, easy to grab and go, and high quality. The Hopper line on Yeti is unbeatable from anything I've seen. I'm open to try other brands for larger soft sides, but I haven't seen anything as durable or useable with comparable features.

Disclaimer, I have all three of these in the flavors I recommended. They are used depending on the purpose and amount I need.
bam02
AG
CrawfordAg said:

I am sure that happens a lot but this guy lived in fairly affluent neighborhood and drove a nice 2020 Ford. His reasoning was by the time they filled the 65 with ice and beer it was around 200 lbs and a PIA to drag that to the tube place and had issues with it fitting on the cooler tube. His mistake is my find, fits perfectly in the back of my truck and use it for camping and road trips, never plan on carrying it further than 20 yards. Thats what my yeti backpack and softside coolers are for.

He doesn't sound skrong. A loaded 65 is nowhere near 200#. Maybe 100.
WC87
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

FIDO*98* said:

They make the roto molded coolers with the most features for the price. Better overall value than any brand I've seen.

As an early adopter of Legend (previously Kuer) I will say its my favorite cooler by far. If I recall FIDO and I have the maroon versions.

I have a 65 qt and 110 qt RTIC plus numerous RTIC softpacks and they are awesome and fill needs. If I had to choose one cooler, it's my Kuer/Legend 75.
TXAG 05
AG
Ogre09 said:

Igloo

Made in Houston

You mean Brookshire
Ogre09
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Ogre09 said:

Igloo

Made in Houston

You mean Brookshire

Did I stutter? Close enough. Outside city limits, inside the greater metropolitan area.
AgsWin2011
AG
I have an Ozark Trail from Walmart. Paid $125 for it and it does great and is very well built. The same size with a Yeti logo was well over $300.
Ol Jock 99
AG
My Coleman Xtreme holds ice like a champ and costs a fraction of those fancy ones.
texags08
AG
Heismenberg said:

I have an Ozark Trail from Walmart. Paid $125 for it and it does great and is very well built. The same size with a Yeti logo was well over $300.

Good option, but zipper, shell material, and insulation don't compare at all. If it was $60 for the Ozark then I'd say go for it all day.

yakin ag
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

My Coleman Xtreme holds ice like a champ and costs a fraction on those fancy ones.

Plus one for Coleman Xtreme.
Ag 11
AG
Igloo Sportsman
SockDePot
https://www.bisoncoolers.com/collections/coolers?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-uXIxuaL6wIViIbACh270QxrEAAYASAAEgI7N_D_BwE

We did a yeti, igloo, rtic, bison side by side at the deer lease with 3 bags of ice. The bison held ice a full day longer. 2nd was rtic, 3rd was igloo, yeti got last.

I also like it has rope handles for carrying with people, and hard handles when you have to carry on your own.

Best cooler I've ever owned.

Disclaimer: scientific method was definitely not followed, it was opening weekend of dove season in west Texas...
AgEng06
AG
SockDePot said:

I also like it has rope handles for carrying with people, and hard handles when you have to carry on your own.

Don't they all have this?
SockDePot
AgEng06 said:

SockDePot said:

Don't they all have this?

Not Solo carry hard handles

Yetis don't, kind of a slot where your fingers can go.

Rtics have kind of a slot where your fingers can go

Igloos have that folding / sliding / floppy handle, depending on which model you get.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.