Outdoors
Sponsored by

Recommendations Please re: outdoor power tools for small yard

964 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lawless89
jakester03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,

I have a small yard and am currently using the following:

String Trimmer: Stihl FS45 Curved Shaft I bought 10+ years ago
Edger: Crappy corded black and decker
Hedge Trimmer: Old corded Craftsman that is dying

I'm looking at replacing them all with an "attachment-based" system.

I had been having issues with the Trimmer, so I did a full tune-up on it with new carb, filters, lines, etc with a $25 kit. It runs somewhat better now, but I think I need to due some hi/low/idle adjustments on the carb to get it to run perfect.

My edger sucks so I've been trying to turn the curved shaft string trimmer on its side, but the engine keeps dying when I do that.

The hedge trimmer is so old it barely runs/cuts anymore so it needs to be replaced.

Any recommendations? I've looked at the Stihl Kombi-system but its pretty pricey. Echo? I've also looked at the battery-based systems, but don't have any experience with them. I do have some DeWalt and Ridgid power tools, but they are all 12V. No experience with the higher voltage tools.

The entire lot is only about 100 x 70, so the yard is small. Takes me about an hour to mow, trim, edge, and blow.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Thanks and Gig 'Em!
Jake
lawless89
Buy all EGO equipment at Home Depot and you'll never look back. I used a whole ego system at my house in Fort Worth and it was fantastic. Still use the blower, trimmer and hedge trimmer for my five acres in CS.
abileneag09
AG
I've got the Kobalt 80v stuff from Lowes, been running it about 2 years now for mower, weedeater, and leaf blower. I'm pretty happy with it so far.
rootube
AG
+ 1 I have all EGO from Home Depot. I have the mower and string trimmer and like them a lot so far. I love how quiet they are compared to their gas counterparts.
jakester03
AG
So for those using the EGO stuff: Are you using the multi-head attachment system or standalone tools?
zachsccr
AG
I have all Black and Decker stuff and love it. I can't speak for the other stuff, but as long as you are consistent with yard work there's no issue in the city. I wouldn't take my stuff out to a pasture, but I'd bet 99% of stuff today is fine for city work.

Just pick a brand and go all in. Don't hose yourself with 3 different brands and 3 different batteries.
lawless89
jakester03 said:

So for those using the EGO stuff: Are you using the multi-head attachment system or standalone tools?

Multi head. I like it, but the stand alone weed eater is better. Had one as a sample from my last job and it was much better than the multi head. But the convenience of the multi head is really nice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.