Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fishing on golf course creek in kayak?

4,086 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by htxag09
shiftyandquick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Local private golf course has a creek through it. If I access the creek in a public spot, don't I have the legal right to fish the creek? As long as I stay in the water?

Bad idea?
BackPocket
Worst case you get kicked off. Best case, you catch em good before someone boots you.
Log
AG
Welcome to the wonderful world of navigable waters in Texas.

https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2014/05/13/public-right-of-use-for-texas-waterways/
03_Aggie
shiftyandquick said:

Local private golf course has a creek through it. If I access the creek in a public spot, don't I have the legal right to fish the creek? As long as I stay in the water?

Bad idea?

Hope your username checks out.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Onion Creek by chance?
shiftyandquick
ATX_AG_08 said:

Onion Creek by chance?

No. But it sounds like golf course Creeks are attractive places for fishing.

My head hurts after reading about Texas law. I am not at all sure that this Creek would be considered navigable waters. How the heck am I supposed to know whether it averages 30 feet from the mouth.
JonSnow
In addition to PFD, wear a helmet.

Trucker 96
Taking one off the noggin while in a kayak sounds dicey
ChemAg15
AG
Sounds like as long as you're in the kayak they can't do anything about it. They can't own the water, just the bed.
OnlyForNow
AG
Yup
OnlyForNow
AG
If you don't want to give it away, e-mail the creek name to me and I'll look up what I've got.
1872walker
lazuras_dc
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Sounds like as long as you're in the kayak they can't do anything about it. They can't own the water, just the bed.
lazuras_dc
AG
lazuras_dc said:

ChemAg15 said:

Nobody owns the water. It's God's water.
Ag_07
AG
Who cares? It's just a golf course. You're not sneaking on to a top secret military base or anything.

Worst case an old crotchety marshal looking for balls will just shoo you away but I've fished and played enough golf courses golf courses to know most of time no one gives a shlt.
La Fours
AG
Underrated post. Blue star for you.
RO519
AG
Ag_07 said:

Who cares? It's just a golf course. You're not sneaking on to a top secret military base or anything.

Worst case an old crotchety marshal looking for balls will just shoo you away but I've fished and played enough golf courses golf courses to know most of time no one gives a shlt.
I agree with this. I take my lab puppy out to the local course to train every evening. No issues and I have picked up ~30 golf balls.
TxAG-010
AG
Golf courses always have the best fishing! For some reason golf course management always frowns upon fishing, holier than thou golf culture in general does.
I recently played a course in Gunnison, Colorado that had the Gunnison River running through it. You better believe I packed a pole in the cart! I had a solid brown trout make a run at my streamer on the first cast.

I quickly wanted to quit golfing and fish the rest of the time.
Trucker 96
Just don't expect the 75 year old grumpy-ass marshal to be up on his Navigable Waters Act knowledge. Also, I don't know if you are a golfer or not, but I'd just be mindful of where you decide to set up to help minimize the chance of getting plunked or the distraction you would be to golfers that have paid good money to be there and don't want to risk plunking you.

I was at Sherrill Park last night, which gets a lot of evening fishing action. They'll kick them off during the day but are cool about it in the evenings. But last night some dumbass had himself and his two 5ish year old boys set up in prime "you could get plunked by a driver" territory.
AgFlyGuy
AG
I think you're good, but as others have mentioned dont get plunked.

Side note, but somewhat related. At iCast they do a bass and birdies tournament. 4some where one person has to fish one hole (4 holes total) and is included as part of your overall golf score. Lots of fun
OneMoonGoon92
AG
youll be like the guy in the tractor thing that picks up balls on a range. a target...drinking in involved on golf courses...you will be a target
CrawfordAg
AG
Avery Ranch always has kayakers out fishing everytime I play there...
Drip99
AG
When I fish creeks and rivers in west central texas (especially the ones that run the peoples land), I keep the game warden for that county in my phone. If you know the rules and are confident you are not in violation, call the warden when you get harassed.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/warden/
angryocotillo
AG
TxAG-010 said:

Golf courses always have the best fishing! For some reason golf course management always frowns upon fishing, holier than thou golf culture in general does.
I recently played a course in Gunnison, Colorado that had the Gunnison River running through it. You better believe I packed a pole in the cart! I had a solid brown trout make a run at my streamer on the first cast.

I think that explains why they don't want people fishing!
Duckhook
AG
TxAG-010 said:

Dos Rios Golf Club. I've played it a number of times. Here's a shot of the river that runs through the course that I took on #18. Take a good look at that deer on the left.
Build It
AG
I'm not proud of it but my friends would hit balls at you on purpose. I'd find another spot.
TxAG-010
AG
That's the one! Great course by the way.

I think it's hole 15...? That has the river running right in front of the green, there's a solid 18-20" brown trout that lives there! I bet that river through the golf course never gets fished.
OnlyForNow
AG
Headed to that area tomorrow actually. Doesn't look like good outside access...
Duckhook
AG
TxAG-010 said:

That's the one! Great course by the way.

I think it's hole 15...? That has the river running right in front of the green, there's a solid 18-20" brown trout that lives there! I bet that river through the golf course never gets fished.

It's #13 I think you're thinking about. But it's Tomichi Creek that runs in front of that green.

Actually, the float fishing trips go through the course pretty regularly on the Gunnison River.
shiftyandquick
Since I started this thread I caught this bass on the creek that goes through the golf course (not in my kakak though).

rootube
AG
Perfect. Now it's time to implement phase two. Gut your catch and fry it up on the fairway.
htxag09
AG
TxAG-010 said:

I worked at a golf course in college. We helped boot ranch in Fredericksburg for a big golf tournament as they were understaffed. They have poles for rental to fish the ponds. They also have skeet shooting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.