Outdoors
Sponsored by

Legendary farmer called home

3,822 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by gonemaroon
jtp01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tomorrow morning my wife's great uncle will be laid to rest. After 86 years of serving the Lord here on Earth He has been called home to undoubtedly farm a nice piece of ground and drink coffee. LOTS of coffee.

He served on so many boards and committees, we were unable to get all of them written in the obituary. Since his passing, so many have reached out to let us know of different offices he held. One he was most proud of was serving on the Soil and Water Conservation district board for 48 years. When we started adding up all the years of service to his community the number topped 200 years.

His commitment to stewardship and hard work resulted in the farm being recognized by the Texas Land Heritage Program in 2017 (though he refused the trip to Austin for the recognition because he didn't care for Sid Miller).

He loved my two boys like they were his own. I recall a couple years ago my oldest was plowing and had a tire go flat on the plow and jokingly I told my son his pay was going to be docked for the cost of the tire. Great uncle heard this and lit into me and told me that he would pay for that tire, because my son did nothing wrong. It took 10 minutes to calm him down that I was joking. We laughed about that last time we were all together.

Though he wasn't an Ag, his grandson is an Aggie and he was so proud of that.

Rest In Peace Harold Dean, send us a little rain along the way, we'd sure appreciate it!
B-1 83
AG
jtp01 said:

Tomorrow morning my wife's great uncle will be laid to rest. After 86 years of serving the Lord here on Earth He has been called home to undoubtedly farm a nice piece of ground and drink coffee. LOTS of coffee.

He served on so many boards and committees, we were unable to get all of them written in the obituary. Since his passing, so many have reached out to let us know of different offices he held. One he was most proud of was serving on the Soil and Water Conservation district board for 48 years. When we started adding up all the years of service to his community the number topped 200 years.

His commitment to stewardship and hard work resulted in the farm being recognized by the Texas Land Heritage Program in 2017 (though he refused the trip to Austin for the recognition because he didn't care for Sid Miller).

He loved my two boys like they were his own. I recall a couple years ago my oldest was plowing and had a tire go flat on the plow and jokingly I told my son his pay was going to be docked for the cost of the tire. Great uncle heard this and lit into me and told me that he would pay for that tire, because my son did nothing wrong. It took 10 minutes to calm him down that I was joking. We laughed about that last time we were all together.

Rest In Peace Harold Dean, send us a little rain along the way, we'd sure appreciate it!
HD Morton?
jtp01
AG
Yes sir.
B-1 83
AG
jtp01 said:

Yes sir.
He was on the Moore Co SWCD Board when I was an agronomist at Dumas for 7 years. His son used to carpool to WTSU with Teacher Wife 82 back in about 1990. He was also on the "Committee of 100" ag advisors for the state of Texas.

Did he ever quit burning his wheat and corn stubble?
jtp01
AG
When he retired my father in-law continued to burn the wheat stubble for several years because "that's how HD did it".

We've not burned wheat stubble since I married Into the family nearly 20 years ago. Even though HD said it was better if we did.

We made him so happy when we move back to the farm a few years ago. Have what is the 6th generation live on the farm seemed like something he really got a kick out of.
bam02
AG
Sorry for your loss sounds like a great life lived.
schmellba99
AG
Sounds like a hell of a man, sorry for your loss
agenjake
God Made a Farmer
kingj3
AG
For the uneducated, what does burning the stubble do?
CanyonAg77
AG
kingj3 said:

For the uneducated, what does burning the stubble do?
It gets rid of the stubble easily, making it much easier to plow and get a nice, clean, pretty field. Some think it kills insect and disease.

Back when tractors were smaller, it was hard to plow under thick stubble and make a nice, smooth seedbed. And planters couldn't penetrate stubble well, so it made your planting less efficient.

Improvements in herbicide, tractors, and no-till methods have made intentional burning a thing of the past.

As a pyromaniac kid, it sure was fun, though.
Todd 02
AG
Here.

When I was a kid, we'd go up to my grandparents' place in south central Kansas. They were wheat farmers. We were always told we couldn't light firecrackers unless the wheat had been harvested. We found out one year why. That stuff burns fast and makes a helluva cloud of smoke!

I learned to drive in the summertime on those old dirt section roads up there. Drove through a lot of sand and smoke in an old International pickup.

Here's to good memories Tim and family!
milkman00
AG
Sorry for the loss. Praying for the family.
eric76
AG
B-1 83 said:

jtp01 said:

HD Morton?
I guess he had a connection to the Morton Elevator. I drive by it most every time I go to Amarillo or to the doctor in Dumas.
jtp01
AG
Yep. Morton Elevator sits on the corner of the farm. If you've noticed the big barn built Northeast of the elevator, that is mine, our home will be on the South side of that barn.

My wife's great grandfather put the deal together to build that elevator there, thus the name Morton Elevator.

ETA: check out the post in the Beautiful in Texas thread and there are a couple pictures with the elevator in the background.
eric76
AG
jtp01 said:

Yep. Morton Elevator sits on the corner of the farm. If you've noticed the big barn built Northeast of the elevator, that is mine, our home will be on the South side of that barn.

My wife's great grandfather put the deal together to build that elevator there, thus the name Morton Elevator.

ETA: check out the post in the Beautiful in Texas thread and there are a couple pictures with the elevator in the background.
I remember seeing a fairly new barn on the east side of the road but don't remember exactly where it was.

When I was a kid, I frequently got the Morton Elevator and Capp's Switch mixed up.
GrassFarmer88
AG
Here.
B-1 83
AG
jtp01 said:

HD's house was west of Dumas, wasn't it? I seem to recall him having land East and west, with an enormous playa lake on one of the East places.
jtp01
AG
Yep out on Stallwitz Rd.
gonemaroon
AG
Here
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.