Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fly Fishing around Castle Rock/Colorado Springs

1,399 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tbone94
SweaterVest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm headed to Castle Rock later on this week to visit in laws and my FIL and I are going fishing on Friday. Last time we went down to Eleven Mile Canyon with a guide and had a good time. He's fished several other places since, most recently Cheesman canyon.

Any other recommendations? We are going it alone this time and for the moment planning on just going back to Eleven Mile Canyon.

Any other recommendations within 1-2 hours from Castle Rock? We don't mind a hike in for a good fishing spot.
MileHigh Ag
I would head to Deckers, about halfway between Castle Rock and Eleven Mile Canyon.
SweaterVest
AG
MileHigh Ag said:

I would head to Deckers, about halfway between Castle Rock and Eleven Mile Canyon.

Thanks. We talked about going there. He's fished there before but I think it has a reputation for being pretty crowded.
nonameag99
There are no hidden creeks near castle rock CO
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Ragoo
AG
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co+Rd+96,+Colorado/@38.9054083,-105.4657658,17z/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8714cb087029a527:0x508c7b52c4583a50
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
SweaterVest said:

MileHigh Ag said:

Thanks. We talked about going there. He's fished there before but I think it has a reputation for being pretty crowded.
you can find a rock to fish without a zillion people nearby, especially on a weekday. Not in cheeseman. Deckers is close, it's pretty, if you've never fished there you might as well.

For something completely different run up to rocky mtn arsenal and chunk streamers for pike. You might never fish for trout again!
LRHF
AG
Check out Tomahawk Wildlife Area... trust me!
SweaterVest
AG
NRD09 said:

SweaterVest said:

MileHigh Ag said:

you can find a rock to fish without a zillion people nearby, especially on a weekday. Not in cheeseman. Deckers is close, it's pretty, if you've never fished there you might as well.

For something completely different run up to rocky mtn arsenal and chunk streamers for pike. You might never fish for trout again!

Circling back on this- Do you think a 5wt rod is enough for pike? We ended up going back to 11 Mile Canyon last time but this weekend we're short on time and have to drop my wife off at the airport at noon. RMA seems convenient.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Don't have anything to add, except we hammered them at Deckers this past April. Snowing like crazy and we got after them. We hired Pat Dorsey and he was awesome.
LRHF
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Don't have anything to add, except we hammered them at Deckers this past April. Snowing like crazy and we got after them. We hired Pat Dorsey and he was awesome.

This is kind of like hiring Tom Brady! What fly was super productive?

Congrats on an awesome day!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Midges. Top Secret and one I don't remember. The next day it was a red midge and the top secret. Pat is cool as hell.
tbone94
AG
Fished the s Platte in Deckers below cheesman this past week with a guide from flies n lies. Flow was excellent at 300cfs. But was a little slow in the evening.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Most of what you'll probably catch is hammer handles, i caught one on a 6wt that was 27" iirc and it was exciting but fine. If you hook a big boy on a 5wt you better hope you can break your leader to wire connection!
tbone94
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.