Outdoors
Sponsored by

Mountain Lion - What to do?

3,540 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by oragator
JustPanda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've been having a rash of mountain lion issues throughout my neighborhood the last month or so.

I hadn't seen them in the neighborhood only the surrounding mountains (mostly on BLM land) Until I was walking home last night.

At first, I saw the shadow and though the legs and body were too dense for a deer or elk - sooo headlamped it and it was a decent sized momma kitty.

Whats the proper protocol for mountain lion encounters? I just turned up the wubs and kept walking.

Pucker factor 10+ no doubt. Bears don't scare me around here because they aren't interested in people - but the hair on the back of my neck stood up for the first time in a long while.
WhoopN06
Make sure you walk with someone who runs more slowly than you.
IamGroot
AG
Post on nextdoor for answers...
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Where do you live? The OB has a full army of predator killing machines that would love to hunt mountain lions
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Ursus Guy is a great resource. He might chime in.

My two cents after reading this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Beast-Garden-Predators-Suburban-America/dp/0393326349

1. Mountains lions are able to adapt to changing environments and will prey upon people and pets.

2. Do not let kids play outside if you suspect lion activity around home. Lions are known to go after people even in groups of two or more.

3. Pets need a secure roofed in enclosure if kept outside.

4. Ask around if pets have gone missing recently.

5. Be armed and pay attention to surroundings.

6. Have effective means of communication and tell people where you are going if you travel in back country.

7. The hardest part is to change human behavior. For example, do people put out food to attract deer? If the deer are present, then the lions will feed on them. I have seen other shows where ranchers will hire someone to chase lions away from herds to protect livestock.
MattAg98
AG
I have read that lions like to attack their prey from behind, so some mountain bikers and hikers will wear eyes painted on the back of their hat/beanie/helmet. Apparently this makes the mountain lion think you can see it and will be more reluctant to sneak up from behind.
tk for tu juan
Part of nature for cats to sneak attack when you turn your back

milner79
JustPanda said:

I just turned up the wubs and kept walking.

Not exactly:

https://www.mountainlion.org/portalprotectencounters.php

87IE
AG

Edit---- Wow, Choot Em is a no-no on the image filter...
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
JustPanda
AG
Im thinking it was after either a house pet or a rodent/deer.

I wasn't really in a state to fight either. I was more 1/2 drunk thinking **** if this how I thought I go out.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep with my windows open.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The thought of sleeping with the windows open is August is more scary than lions. Texas summers are getting to me.
MilanoCowboy
AG
Get a pic and report to county game warden. They won't believe you without a pic, trust me on that.
Let them take care of it.

In the mean time, take the neighbors dog on your walks......
Milano Cowboy
JustPanda
AG
I already called it in to WRNF in Glenwood.
MouthBQ98
AG
Unless you trigger a reaction by running past it, a Mt Lion generally doesn't want any part of an adult human. We're going to be perceived as a threat and competitor vs a prey. Maybe Young kids are At risk, though.
Shoefly!
AG
Start carrying the Judge in .45 Long Colt with a .410 chaser in double ott buck if you feel threatened.
aggieforester05
AG
I've encountered one staring at me from some bushes 5-10 feet away. I calmly pointed me rifle at it and it turned and ran away. Thank god I didn't get eaten alive that day!
RCR06
AG
Obviously not in Texas. Talked about blm land and not sleeping with windows open. Neither would even be an option in texas at this time.
rlb28
AG
Call in Rich from the TV show Mountain Men
JustPanda
AG
Nailed it - CO Between Minturn and Red Cliff
Ayto Siks
That cat has probably seen you before and you didn't even know it.

We have some panthers around my neighborhood in FL. Pre-covid, my employer would randomly send emails about what to do if you see a panther in the parking lot. Made me wonder if something happened to provoke the warnings.

Basically, if you see a panther:

-do not run
-give the animal space to escape
-try to look big by holding your arms up
-pick up small children
-in the unlikely event that you're attacked, fight back and don't play dead
ursusguy
AG
I do find comments to the effect of "I'm not worried about the bears, but the lions scare me" to be interesting. Statically speaking, you have a way better chance of an injury related incident with a bear than with a lion. Both can become habituated, but the bears are way more likely to become food conditioned......keep in mind, between California, Colorado, Washington and Orgeon (lots of other potential states, but these 4 account for most contacts) people are in close proximity to lions ALL the time, yet rarely triggers an issue.

That said, read the book listed above A Beast In the Garden. I made all my interns and new biologists read it. It is a major reason most western state agencies (including TPWD) have some sort of plan in place for lions near urban areas.....This is how I ended up with 111 lion investigations, by protocol, I couldn't not ignore what I thought would end up being a stupid call. Shocker, not a single one of the 111 ended up being a lion (Dallas area.....looking at you Colllin County "I know what I saw").

DON'T FEED DEER in you neighborhood....this is easier said than done
DON'T LET THEM GET Comfortable
Do note if you start seeing an uptick in missing pets....but special note, a LEGIT uptick. Nextdoor and Facebook tend to amplify this significantly. I worked a coyote issue in Duncanville about 15 years ago. At the time the issue was an extremely nice subdivision. Pets were disappearing, everyone was up in arms, loudmouth HOA rep/personal injury attorney was going to sue everyone (including me....yeah good luck with that). At the public meeting, I cut to the chase real quick. ONE small white dog, and ONE cat had disappeared in 6 months. ONE early morning jogger had seen a coyote about 5 months prior to the meeting, and mentioned it to his wife. He didn't think a thing of it, but his wife got the WHOLE neighborhood worked up.....just food for thought, this happened a lot over the next 10 years. Hell, I got flown to New Orleans to help them develop their urban coyote management plan after ONE little white dog disappeared. There was no actual proof a coyote was involved.

At least your lions have a very high likelihood of actually being lions. :-)
FIDO 96
AG
Urus, were you called in when Frisco was under siege by their coyote?
ursusguy
AG
Unofficially I was advising in the background. There were a lot of screw ups.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
JustPanda said:

Nailed it - CO Between Minturn and Red Cliff
humble brag
oragator
Yeah there have been a grand total of four Mountain lion deaths in the US in the last 20 years, so just don't do anything stupid, follow basic protocol, and lightning is a bigger threat.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.