Outdoors
Sponsored by

Neighbor's Feeder

8,106 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Booyah
Booyah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One of my neighbors placed a feeder about 10 yds from my fence. On top of that, it's a high fence and the guys blind is directly perpendicular (so shooting right into my ranch). He won't call me back and the game warden said there's nothing he can do about it. In the event I don't achieve a sensible resolution with this guy, I would love to get the wisdom of the Outdoor Board to opine on potential next steps. I've heard mothballs do the trick but am interested in any other ideas. TIA.
nonameag99
Mount plywood on your fence line to prove that his bullets are crossing the fence line

Show bullet holes to Game Warden
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Colt98
AG
I would put up about 50 yards of green or black screen material directly behind his feeder on your game fence.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Colt98 said:

I would put up about 50 yards of green or black screen material directly behind his feeder on your game fence.

Do the screen, then paint this on the screen and above it paint "Hooves up, don't shoot".
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Lightning strikes blinds and feeders all the time. It can be a real fire hazard...

/sarcasm
Pondering65
AG
Put up some type of automated disturbance that causes the deer to avoid that section of property...
Jack Squat 83
AG
Do the same set-up on your side, facing his. (ps - Do not hunt this blind)
jtp01
AG
frank65 said:

Put up some type of automated disturbance that causes the deer to avoid that section of property...

Do not do this. That could result in a hunter harassment case against you.
MouthBQ98
AG
Put a FAKE blind in line with their shooting path so that anything crossing the property line might hit it?
XpressAg09
AG
"Tear down his fence!"
cageybee77
AG
I would move to Chicago where you'd be safe from stray bullets.
AggieDave92
AG
I prosecuted a guy for hunter harassment for saving up his wife's hair clippings from her salon and spreading them out around some guy's feeders because they had gotten sideways about something.
will.mcg
AG
Plant a "Row crop" next to the fence line. NOW put up some automated noisemaker to scare pests away from your agricultural crop.
jpb1999
AG
nonameag99 said:

Mount plywood on your fence line to prove that his bullets are crossing the fence line

I like the idea, but this might be dangerous as hell. How would he know if a person or a kid or livestock is not directly behind the plywood (or screen)? It would almost stop him from ever shooting in that direction... which might be the intended consequence, but is this person smart enough to know that?
Jbob04
AG
AggieDave92 said:

I prosecuted a guy for hunter harassment for saving up his wife's hair clippings from her salon and spreading them out around some guy's feeders because they had gotten sideways about something.

Wow, what a waste of money
lexofer
AG
Print out Texas Parks and Wildlife Code 62.0121. Discharge of Firearm Across Property Line along with your safety concerns about him shooting toward your property. Let him know you will pursue legal action if there is any property damage or bodily harm related to his illegal and irresponsible activities. I'd also mention you've documented the location of his stand/feeder, unsafe firing direction and informed the Game Warden of your concerns. Send him a copy via certified mail and post a copy on the fence.

Doing anything to interfere with his hunt can get you in trouble under 62.0125. Harassment of Hunters, Trappers, and Fishermen.
Shoefly!
AG
Make that spot next to feeder your new " gut and carcass dump", it works. He'll more than likely move the feeder and blind.
Booyah
AG
It wouldn't be hunter harassment if you put the hair clippings on your side, would it?
aggiedent
AG
Can someone explain to me how "hunter harassment" would apply to something you do on your own property?

Tx95Ag
AG
Put out a game cam so you can know what's going on there.
javajaws
AG
giddings_ag_06 said:

Colt98 said:

Do the screen, then paint this on the screen and above it paint "Hooves up, don't shoot".

#BuckLivesMatter
Wearer of the Ring
AG
every time you are at your place go out to that feeder/fence and take a leak. every time you need to pee. the whole time you are there.
MilanoCowboy
AG
TPWD takes serious issue with people harassing hunters, as a previous poster related. Not much you can do to cause a visual or audible display to scare off game animals.

Which direction is the prevailing wind? If it blows from your property toward the neighbor's feeder, buy some mountain lion urine scent, drive along your fence line to inspect your fence and spray it along your fence line on the opposite side of your vehicle from the fence, so the neighbor's camera can't photo what you're doing..

Repeat after any rain. Each application will last a couple weeks on vegetation, less on bare soil.

Milano Cowboy
Unemployed
AG
I'm surprised the game warden didn't want to get ahead of this and go talk to the guy about the dangers of having his feeder so close to the fence line.

Why risk escalations from both sides before doing something about it?
Herne the Hunter
nonameag99 said:

Exactly what I was going to suggest but since there is concern about hunter harassment ask the game warden first.
Stand Back & Stand By
Former Premium subscriber
Mr. Frodo
AG
lexofer said:

Print out Texas Parks and Wildlife Code 62.0121. Discharge of Firearm Across Property Line along with your safety concerns about him shooting toward your property. Let him know you will pursue legal action if there is any property damage or bodily harm related to his illegal and irresponsible activities. I'd also mention you've documented the location of his stand/feeder, unsafe firing direction and informed the Game Warden of your concerns. Send him a copy via certified mail and post a copy on the fence.

Doing anything to interfere with his hunt can get you in trouble under 62.0125. Harassment of Hunters, Trappers, and Fishermen.

You got to do this.

Also, how bout putting a hog trap close by and a few others not so close by but in that area and checking them frequently until it works and then maybe not checking it.

Does that pass the hunter harassment test? Assuming you have a hog problem.
rlb28
AG
The game warden on Lone Star Law sure did something about it. Went to the neighbor and TOLD him to move it.
RCR06
AG
Jbob04 said:

AggieDave92 said:

Wow, what a waste of money
Many people would probably agree (and have by starring your post), unless you're the guy who's hunting spot is getting ruined
raidernarizona
Waste of time and energy! Deer don't care about human urine. The lion urine sounds like a better idea. #2 may be a different story but that's gross

ETA: This was in response to Wearer's suggestion
schmellba99
AG
aggiedent said:

Can someone explain to me how "hunter harassment" would apply to something you do on your own property?

If you do something on your property with the specific purpose of causing issues on somebody else's property, it's still harassment.

For example - if you put a noise cannon on your side of the property it would be viewed as a device specifically placed to cause issues with hunting that blind on his property and as a result would constitute harassment.
FamousAgg
A agree with a cheap decoy blind placed the same distance from the fence that the neighbor placed the feeder.

I'm thinking a few sheets of plywood and some 2x4s to throw something up really quick
aggiedent
AG
The key word being "Specific" purpose. That seems a fair rule.

So if the OP built a pool near the property line and had folks over with some music playing, then that would not meet the specific purpose requirement and he would be OK.

txrancher69
AG
Don't overthink this. Put three or four rounds of buckshot through his blind (making sure it is empty of course), then blandly claim you have no idea what happened. Must have been someone walking down his side of the fence. In a face off like this crazy wins.
Sarge 91
AG
txrancher69 said:

Don't overthink this. Put three or four rounds of buckshot through his blind feeder (making sure it is empty of course), then blandly claim you have no idea what happened. Must have been someone walking down his side of the fence. In a face off like this crazy wins.
EskimoJoe
figure out the angle at which the bullets would be crossing the property line, and what general area they might land. mix up several jars of tannerite and place them in the area so that any of his projectiles flying across the fence will have a chance of hitting one of your jars of tannerite. he squeezes off a round, it lands in some of the tannerite, and BOOM!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.