Outdoors
Sponsored by

Yellowstone

8,699 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GIJOE
GIJOE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking into possibility of quick trip to Yellowstone & Tetons August 7-13.
Anyone been recently and have intel on crowd sizes and traffic? Have never been but have heard horror stories of summertime crowds making the trip not as enjoyable as it would otherwise have been. Wondering if virus fear has reduced crowd size.
Aug 7 & 13 will be travel days with flights into/out of SLC. Looking at staying in Jackson Hole and using it as base of operations. Obviously will be driving and looking at the sites. Would like to float Snake River and make some shorter (1-2 mile hikes) if need to for great views. Would enjoy easy biking trails.
Any recommendations on what to do/not do would be appreciated.
BSD
AG
The park hosted 534,155 visits in June 2020. This is a 32% decrease from June 2019. Although the numbers were down, visitation substantially increased over the month. In the last ten days of June, traffic counts ranged from 90%-116% of 2019 numbers.

That is from the Yellowstone website. My advice is to hit the hot spots as early or late in the day as possible when crowds are thin. We do this at all national parks and generally have success in not feeling crowded.
FIDO 96
AG
I'd suggest not wandering off the wrong side of the road and setting up camp at the Yellowstone. You really don't want Rip driving you to the train station.
Mathguy64
AG
I Just spent two days at Dornans in GTNP and 4 days in YNP.

GTNP was mostly devoid of people except for the line to get a campsite at Jenny Lake.

YNP there was almost no one on the East side from the lake to Canyon. In fact we went to Artist Point and there were 10 cars in the lot. The west side from Old Faithful through all the geyser basins to Mammoth were crowded but it wasn't worse than any other summer.

The road from Canyon to Tower is closed for the summer so getting from Lamar Valley to Hayden Valley takes 3 hours. The big bison herds are in Lamar and the visible wolves were in Hayden as was a coyote pack. Elk were in both and in Mammoth. Bears were out in Hayden.

If you have never been and are basing out of Jackson Hole understand you are 2 hours from there to get to either the lower geyser basin or the Hayden Valley and a good 5 hours to the Lamar Valley.
La Vernia_Ag06
AG
mathguy86 said:

"If you have never been and are basing out of Jackson Hole understand you are 2 hours from there to get to either the lower geyser basin or the Hayden Valley and a good 5 hours to the Lamar Valley. "
This. It is a long drive into the park from Jackson Hole, a little over 2 hours according to Google. We went last year and stayed in Moran (just north of Jackson Hole) took about 1.5 hours to get into the main part of the park. Let me tell you, that drive round trip is a complete a$$whip after being in the park all day. Also, those estimated times do not account for the traffic and/or wildlife meandering on the roads throughout the park.
ThatOneGuy
AG
I just got back from a week at GTNP and Yellowstone staying in Jackson and in West Yellowstone. It was a first time for me so I don't have any comparison. There were a decent number of people around but everyone was in a private vehicle. No group tours and no buses anywhere. Some no vacancy signs but not hard to find lodging. Lots of camp areas closed in the park as well as the lodges. There was a lot of large vehicle and bus parking everywhere that was not being utilized so I imagine not having those on the road would help with congestion. We never ran into too much congestion and didn't ever have a hard time finding parking even on weekend days at popular sites. Saw black bears all over the park roadside (5 overall), a wolf pack in Lamar valley, and a couple grizzlies up in Slough creek. Bison and elk everywhere. Wake up early for elk and wolves. Look for people with spotting scopes in Lamar and Hayden valleys to find the wolves.
aggielax11
AG
Nice we head there next week, it will be our first trip minus my wife when she was 5. We are staying part of the time in Jackson Hole and then West Yellowstone. Plan on seeing the Tetons for the first part. Any tips or places you really liked let us know. Taking our 5 and 3 year old. Oh and also my mom and MIL (wish me luck) lol. Told my wife we better not be the Griswalds and end up with one grandma on the roof lol.
Prexys Moon
AG
FIDO 96 said:

I'd suggest not wandering off the wrong side of the road and setting up camp at the Yellowstone. You really don't want Rip driving you to the train station.
you mean John making you dig your own grave and repeat, "I'm going back to Texas. Montana doesn't want me here'
lexofer
AG
Also going to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons next week. I think we are staying in Victor, West Yellowstone and then Cody. I have a match in Cody on the 31st-1st. I haven't been to Yellowstone before so watching this close.
EMY92
AG
I will likely head up there at the beginning of September. Doesn't look like my Ireland trip will happen this year.
Furlock Bones
AG
Twice my wife and I went to Grand Teton and to Yellowstone. On the days we were doing Yellowstone we stayed at the Headwaters lodge. it's a good place. but, it's still a bit of a drive to the entrance and depending on where in the park you want to go like Lamar Valley to see the wolves. you need to get up early. i mean early and hit the road.

also there is no cell service there and the wifi is almost nonexistant.
Post removed:
by user
EMY92
AG
I know that the hotels in Grand Teton NP close September 15, that is if they were open. I'm trying to go when the crowds are less.
Orbital Debris
AG
The only thing I would be aware of is Sturgis is Aug 7 to Aug 15. So you might see a little extra motorcycle traffic. Lots of people like to combine trips.

I went a couple of years ago in the first week of October, and stayed in Cody and Jackson, and most lodging was open. As far as lodging in the park:
https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/stay/plan/opening-and-closing-dates/

It is a nice time to go, but remember that the park is 7000 ft, so early snow is a possibility. Even if you know how to drive in it, there will be many tourists confused by the white stuff hitting the windshield. Be prepared for cooler temps.

Someone said above that tourist buses aren't running, it would be a great year to go. I did not care for the buses that stop at a site, and vomit out a multitude of foreign tourists while you are contemplating nature.

And of course don't be the one that runs afoul of the wildlife (being on this board, you probably know better). The distance restrictions are there for a good reason, so take some binoculars to enhance the experience.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
We've been a number of times including two times for Christmas. I recommend it.
AgFlyGuy
AG
aggielax11 said:

Nice we head there next week, it will be our first trip minus my wife when she was 5. We are staying part of the time in Jackson Hole and then West Yellowstone. Plan on seeing the Tetons for the first part. Any tips or places you really liked let us know. Taking our 5 and 3 year old. Oh and also my mom and MIL (wish me luck) lol. Told my wife we better not be the Griswalds and end up with one grandma on the roof lol.
Dang Chig, you must be a glutton for punishment. Good luck on that road trip
aggielax11
AG
AgFlyGuy said:

aggielax11 said:

Dang Chig, you must be a glutton for punishment. Good luck on that road trip
Exactly lol
IDAGG
AG
Just transited Yellowstone from east to west yesterday. The east side of the park from the east entrance all the way to Canyon Village was pretty empty of people. The road from Madison Junction to West Yellowstone was almost bumper to bumper for traffic coming east into the park. That was at about 9:00 to 9:15am. Thankfully we were traveling west. The clerk at the hotel in Cody told us that a few days before they closed the west entrance for a short time as they had a log jam of cars on the west side of the park.

It looked to me as if Yellowstone visits are back to normal sans the tour buses as someone mentioned. Having no tour buses does help with the crowds (at stops at least).
GIJOE
AG
Thanks for all of the info. I was able to book a room at Lake Lodge in Yellowstone Park for 3 nights. That alone probably answers my question about crowd size being smaller than normal. Will spend 2 nights in Jackson to finish up. Any recommendations for outfitter to raft Snake River would be appreciated. thanks
jsdaltxag
GIJOE said:

Thanks for all of the info. I was able to book a room at Lake Lodge in Yellowstone Park for 3 nights. That alone probably answers my question about crowd size being smaller than normal. Will spend 2 nights in Jackson to finish up. Any recommendations for outfitter to raft Snake River would be appreciated. thanks
I've rafted out of Jackson a couple of times. All of the firms go to the same drop off point, and pick up point, so you should be fine with anyone. Just find one that has an opening at a time that fits your schedule. I've used Jackson Hole Whitewater, and Barker Ewing both were very comparable.

Smart to split up your lodging. My only recommendation would be to try to stay at Mammoth Hot Springs for one of the nights, so cut off one of your nights at Lake Lodge. There are usually elk that come up around Mammoth at dusk. There are is small town at the North entrance (would also get to see Roosevelt Arch). Gardiner would have some good food options. Plus I think the northern end of the park is nice. I think you have to travel on the NW road due to road construction if I read things correctly. Definitely worth trying arrange.
WildAggie
If you are planning to eat in Gardiner, you might want to check on availability first. A big fire there burned several buildings this week. I don't know anything about the town, just that it was a devastating fire.
dmart90
AG
Barker-Ewing. We used them a couple of years back. Did the morning combo float. First part was floating a lazy part of the river. Lots of osprey and eagles. Stopped for a campfire breakfast. Then bused down to the rapids. Got soaked. We had a blast!
McInnis
AG
I just got back from Yellowstone/Grand Teton yesterday. I did a raft ride with these guys:

https://nationalparkfloattrips.com/

It's run by the Triangle X Ranch but the link I posted doesn't make that clear. Our river guide was worried they might get shut down soon because of a recent Covid spike in Teton county.

I would take my own food. None of the restaurants in YS have dine-in service. The only restaurant in GT that's open is the one at Colter Bay and it's also take out only. Food is mediocre with long lines. So many of the lodges and campgrounds in both parks are closed that both West Yellowstone and Jackson are even more crowded than normal. But if you go realizing these things you can still have a great time.
dmart90
AG
Anyone spent much time in Driggs? Thinking about spending ing a few weeks up there working remotely and exploring the Idaho side. If this remote work work thing becomes permanent, I wouldn't mind spending my summers up in that part of the country...
EMY92
AG
I just booked Canyon Lodge and Cabins starting Sept. 1 for 5 nights.
ThatOneGuy
AG
In Tetons we liked taking the boat across Jenny Lake and going up cascade canyon trail for a bit. You get some nice views a couple miles up and we saw some moose.

In Yellowstone the viewpoints along the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone are great and easy to get to.

Drive the Hayden and Lamar valleys to see herds of bison and elk and maybe wolves and bears. Early is better.

The old faithful area geyser basin is great and Norris geyser basin is pretty cool. Look up online when the geysers are predicted to go off so you can see more than just old faithful. We saw at least three others go off in that basin in a couple hours. Go up to the viewpoint above grand prismatic spring, it's worth it.

Those are all easy with kids from a car.
rangelady
AG
I grew up hanging out there. Try to get through at least once a year, often more.

We will be there on the N side Aug14-20.

Here's what you will not see: bus after bus after bus filled with rude Chinese tourists. When they started coming by the bus loads years ago, I was bummed. Then some Chinese company bought a bus company and the damn things are bright yellow with all Chinese wording. I will not miss them.

If you got a room, that's your answer. Usually booked up well in advance of spring opening.

FYI, though....I am in a Y hiking group on Facebook. There's some engineering problem with a highway bridge at Old Faithful that just came up. Traffic is all kinda messed up there. And Tower to Canyon highway closed for the season ....road construction.

Have fun!
AgDad121619
AG
aggielax11 said:

Assuming it is running, take the ferry across Jenny Lake and hike to the falls - very manageable hike with little ones - we did it with our 4 kids aged 1-9 at the time. Bring a jacket for the boat ride as it can be cool on the ride over

I will also echo the early morning and late evening drives for wildlife - we loaded up early each morning and after dinner and it was well worth the effort for the extra wildlife we saw.
chris1515
AG
Why are you flying into SLC?
I'd recommend Bozeman, or directly to Jackson Hole (if cost is reasonable).
Spotted Ag
AG
FIDO 96 said:

But maybe Beth will stop by for a visit
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
What is camping like for someone wanting to drive in a post up in a spot? i have looked online but was interested in some clarification
CanyonAg77
AG
dmart90 said:

Anyone spent much time in Driggs? Thinking about spending ing a few weeks up there working remotely and exploring the Idaho side. If this remote work work thing becomes permanent, I wouldn't mind spending my summers up in that part of the country...
Yep.

We visited Yellowstone in late May 2013, and Driggs was really cheap. It's a ski area, so lodging is cheap in the summer. Yeah, it adds to the drive to YS or Tetons, but the view from West of the Tetons is spectacular.

This is from 7 years ago, but it includes some of the places we explored in Idaho. And we didn't even take the extra time to go to the really pretty parts.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2314784
Mowdy Ag
AG
Spotted Ag said:

FIDO 96 said:

But maybe Beth will stop by for a visit
Depending on her mood, you might want to take your chances with Rip.
GIJOE
AG
Flying in to SLC because with points from SWA card flights were free for four of us
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Spent the last 3 days in the black hills. What a place. Headed to Yellowstone early tomorrow morning.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.