Outdoors
Sponsored by

Can we talk Gun Safes?

2,063 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slamn Sharpe
theJonatron
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd like to upgrade from a gun cabinet.

I'm looking something "mid" entry.

14 - 30ish guns. It's going to be in my office so I'd like it to be nice looking and functional. I'd prefer not to spend over $1,200.

Appreciate the suggestions OB.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Looks like you really want to talk about safes!
tx1c
AG
Quote:

Can we talk Gun Safes?
It happens on here at least once a week.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Drillbit4
AG
Ok ok. We'll talk about safes. I have the Liberty Franklin. Great safe, no issues.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
advice you will find here if you search through the older threads:

#1. Divide the gun capacity rating in half for actual size. If you buy a 24 gun safe, it might be able to hold 24 red ryder bb guns. Not rifles + scopes or bigger AR-15s.

#2 Buy bigger then what you need. If you have 10 guns, buy a 24-36 gun size safe.

#3 Please bolt it down to your foundation!

I went with a liberty and love it!
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Go BIG.
Mule_lx
AG
Yes
AggieT
AG
Don't forget all of the crap your wife will want to keep in there. Get the biggest one that will fit.
theJonatron
AG
AggieT said:

Don't forget all of the crap your wife will want to keep in there. Get the biggest one that will fit.
If only I was lucky to have one! Want to play matchmaker?
AggieT
AG
Cheaper to rent.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
theJonatron said:

AggieT said:

careful what you wish for, and too young.
Back2Back
AG
I'm looking at purchasing this from Tractor Supply. What is everyones thoughts

Winchester
Back2Back
AG
ShinerDunk93
AG
AGGIE WH08P said:

advice you will find here if you search through the older threads:

#1. Divide the gun capacity rating in half for actual size. If you buy a 24 gun safe, it might be able to hold 24 red ryder bb guns. Not rifles + scopes or bigger AR-15s.

#2 Buy bigger then what you need. If you have 10 guns, buy a 24-36 gun size safe.

#3 Please bolt it down to your foundation!

I went with a liberty and love it!
Lots of threads on this.

Can confirm, I have a Cannon "30" gun safe. Not big enough. Standard size I think I got it as a gift from Costco. Keeps the kids, nosy neighbors and the casual thief at bay. Nothing special however, but is is bolted down.

Spend the extra and get better protection and fire rating. Read the link

Home safe rating

Bolting down will really increase the security. Google: GUN SAFES - Must Watch Before Buying - The Safe Keeper and watch the youtube video. Watch a couple of guys break into a safe in 2 mins by pushing it over.

I'm not abiding by my own advice BTW, but I will for my next one. Sorry not much help with a brand recommendation, depends on what you really want to spend
txagB2
AG
I have a Liberty Colonial 30 and love it. Gonna be a bit more than 1,200 though, but Liberty is made in the US and has an outstanding warranty.
Aggie Hunter
AG
I just don't think you can beat a Fort Knox
SharkinAg
AG
Holland Safe here. Only reason though is there warehouse is here and they are cheap if you buy directly from them. Plus I bought a scratch and dent. A scratch on a hinge knocked off 200 bucks. Plus another 200 bucks since we have a safe of theirs at our office so as a repeat customer they hooked me up. Love it so far.
Wildman15
AG
My millennial is showing. Thought this said "can we take gun selfies"
PneumAg
Drillbit4 said:

Ok ok. We'll talk about safes. I have the Liberty Franklin. Great safe, no issues.

I was reading reviews of liberty safes and thinking about getting a Lincoln 50 gun (one step up from the Franklin). But honestly, I don't want to pay $4k for a safe. I noticed the Franklin and Colonial are the same gauge steel as the Lincoln. Other than the lights that come on the Lincoln and not the others, do you think there's a meaningful quality or security difference? I'd rather get one of those less expensive ones instead.
KDubAg
AG
AggieT said:

Mine can put her guns in there too.
FamousAgg
Back2Back said:

I'm looking at purchasing this from Tractor Supply. What is everyones thoughts

Winchester

I have one very similar to that, actually it's bigger than that one. I have 7 long guns on one side and it's over capacity in my opinion. I have the other side full of ammo at the moment.

Edit: took down the picture of the safe's contents, I can send it to you if you want to see what you would be dealing with.

Myself and 3 family members received these as gifts a number of years ago, I do know that one had to have the lock worked on due to a failure.
suburban cowboy
AG
Moore Security in Houston. I went with a Liberty USA Series 48 and couldn't be happier.
BrazosDog02
AG
Here is the deal with safes....

You can have one for security.

You can have one that is low cost.

You can have one that performs well in a fire.

You cannot have all three of the above. Liberty is a pretty good mid level safe. It performs well in fires and it does pretty well for security from most of our standpoints. Its going to do what you want. It is NOT cheap. If you want even better security and fire protection, then you need to be looking at an American Security BF or BFII. I am pretty certain it is well regarded in the locksmithing community as THE safe to get if you are not storing the Hope diamond but want top notch security and fire protection. If you want even MORE then you need to be looking at...well...I don't know because its kind of ridiculous for most people and frankly I haven't researched them. AmSec has heavy duty class whatever hope diamond stuff...but its pricey.

I don't think I need to explain the cost on that one, but if you buy it local, both models will be north of $6,000 for their largest safes. Moore security has both Liberty and AmSec on display.

If your budget is $1200, I would not be storing anything you cannot easily replace inside of it if you have a REAL need for security and fire protection. That's OK. Most people don't NEED a 7,000 dollar safe in their home with smoke detectors and firefighters less than 30 minutes away when the safe is buried deep in a closet somewhere.

Frankly, for your budget, I would be focusing on external fire suppression and hiding the safe. Why people display safes (other than physical constraints) is beyond me. Its hard to steal or break into a safe that no one knows exists.

I'm no expert but I did spend a few months over analyzing safes that are by all accounts way more than most mortals need because that's how I roll.
Slamn Sharpe
theJonatron said:

AggieT said:

Don't be a fool. Stay single
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.