Outdoors
Sponsored by

"Tomahawk" ribeye

7,126 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rootube
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So at my local comestible purveyor I spotted this 3.1 lb beauty and she wanted to come home with me.

I reverse seared her on the BGE over lump/mesquite at 200/800 degrees F

Perfection achieved.

Jackrabbit Ag
AG
Looks awfully delicious!

And you need to shave!

ratfacemcdougal
Love the corona-do
AggieChemist
AG
Hell I'm completely feral at this point. Haven't been to see the barber since February.
Slamn Sharpe
Jackrabbit Ag said:

Looks awfully delicious!

And you need to shave!

At a minimum trim the hair from hanging over your top lip
AggieChemist
AG
I don't come to the OB for grooming tips. You friggin metros.
danieljustin06
AG
Can you braid your beard like Thor?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am offended by the name Tomahawk and am offended by you using it. Please cancel yourself and everyone else should refer to such a cut of meat as a hatchet steak from this point forward.

And somehow give me money for this.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Holy badass beard Batman!
JAG03
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I am offended by the name Tomahawk and am offended by you using it. Please cancel yourself and everyone else should refer to such a cut of meat as a hatchet steak from this point forward.

And somehow give me money for this.

Is it ok to call someone a hatchet wound?
I Am A Critic
Don't get any gristle in your dickbroom.
Username checks out.
gigem70
AG
Steak looks perfect.
AggieStan
Shave.
AggieChemist
AG
AggieStan said:

Shave.

No
SCQ
Nice scald on an American raised quality piece of meat. I'm making more. Don't shave there may be no Santa's at this point
aggie appraiser
10/10 wb

The steak. Not the hairy guy.
Matsui
AG
Beautiful!

The steak.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
First, very nice.

Second, I gotta ask. Are you going to eat all 48 ounces of beef (less bone) at one setting?

If so, I'm impressed.

When I was a growing teenager with a ravenous appetite I could polish off a couple of pounds of the so-so sirloin my old man used to feed me after working the *&^# outta me, but hell, I'm satisfied these days with 12 ounces of yes, you guessed it, ribeye rare.
AggieChemist
AG
Ribeye-Rare said:

First, very nice.

Second, I gotta ask. Are you going to eat all 48 ounces of beef (less bone) at one setting?

If so, I'm impressed.

When I was a growing teenager with a ravenous appetite I could polish off a couple of pounds of the so-so sirloin my old man used to feed me after working the *&^# outta me, but hell, I'm satisfied these days with 12 ounces of yes, you guessed it, ribeye rare.

I ate about half of it, and the wife and boy ate another 12 oz between them which leaves just enough on the bone for me to throw in cast iron with a couple eggs in the morning when I get back from fishing.
SharkinAg
AG
Very nice. For some reason the tomahawk steak is one cut I can't make to my liking. Usually comes out a little tough but at the right temp.
Unemployed
AG
AggieChemist said:

Ribeye-Rare said:

First, very nice.

If so, I'm impressed.

I ate about half of it, and the wife and boy ate another 12 oz between them which leaves just enough on the bone for me to throw in cast iron with a couple eggs in the morning when I get back from fishing.
Your life is terrible.
chiken
AG
You have gorgeous eyes!
STX Ag
AG
I Am A Critic said:

Don't get any gristle in your dickbroom.

What the ****.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Love seeing a well cooked steak. I'm going to have to pick up one of those tomahawks.
turf guy ag
Reverse sear is the only cure I've found for the tough tomahawk. 3.5 lb is what I look for, hour and 20 minutes at 225 followed by a one minute sear at 700 or so. Medium rare, almost fork tender. I screwed up a couple trying other methods and haven't veered away from this since. Nice work OP! And kudos on the beard, razors are for ladies legs.
alvtimes
someone educate me on the appeal of the tomahawk... my mind sees paying by the pound for that bone, but I seem to be the only one that cares so I figure Im missing something.
Log
AG
This is why you buy the Cowboy steak. Same thing, less bone.
Apache
AG
Quote:

someone educate me on the appeal of the tomahawk...
gonemaroon
AG
Looks awesome
AggieChemist
AG
alvtimes said:

someone educate me on the appeal of the tomahawk... my mind sees paying by the pound for that bone, but I seem to be the only one that cares so I figure Im missing something.
a) It looks cool as hell
b) it tasted good as hell
c) it's my money
d) the bone went in the instant pot for stock
AggieChemist
AG
turf guy ag said:

Reverse sear is the only cure I've found for the tough tomahawk. 3.5 lb is what I look for, hour and 20 minutes at 225 followed by a one minute sear at 700 or so. Medium rare, almost fork tender. I screwed up a couple trying other methods and haven't veered away from this since. Nice work OP! And kudos on the beard, razors are for ladies legs.
That's almost exactly what I did. I held the temp a bit lower at 200, smoked for right at two hours to 125 degrees internal, rested while I ramped the egg up to volcano hot and then seared it about a minute per side. As you said, fork tender. My wife commented that it was as tender as tenderloin, and she was right. The other perk to reverse sear is that the fat always seems to render better and you get that nice buttery fat flavor.
ToddyHill
AG
If you've never grilled a Tomahawk you really need to give it a try. So much better than a boneless ribeye.
Apache
AG
That pic was meant to be from the dog's point of view. He would get to have the bone to gnaw on from a Tomahawk ribeye, thus the appeal for him.
Unemployed
AG
So who were the 5 guys that blue starred this post?

Comeby!
AG
You shall now and forever be known as 'Oso'.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.