Outdoors
Sponsored by

Thermacells

1,888 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SchnauzerMom
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have experience with these? We've tried paying for the mosquito service but it's been worthless. I know the radius is limited to 15', but I'm just looking for a way to enjoy our patio in the evenings without putting on bug spray. Are these things better than citronella candles?
SharkinAg
AG
They work awesome in a closed area like a deer blind or on a calm day outside. If it is windy it's a no go.
RCR06
AG
They do work and much better than citronella candles. As the other poster stated they don't do as well in the wind, but neither do mosquitoes.
Thisguy1
I'd be shocked if they controlled a '15 foot area. I put mine under my seat in my tripod and it's awesome. I've tried other places where I'm trying to share the wealth and I always end up being selfish because it doesn't really work as well if it isn't right by you.
BQ88
AG
Agreed...works well for one person.

Also tried the whole yard mosquito spray. What a complete waste of money.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Has anyone tried the one called the radius? Looks like it is suppose to have a larger area?
Chief77
AG
I sold citronella for 35 years during my career. I doesn't work! The only way it woks if a mosquito flies thru the flame!
Thermocell's work! The wind does make a difference we use two of the lanterns on each end of the picnic table, no problems, and we had mosquitoes big enough to stand flat footed and rape a turkey!
RCR06
AG
Yeah, whatever they say it covers I'd probably cut in half. I have a lantern type thermacell and it works for a 5 ft round patio table that has four chairs around it.
longeryak
RCR06 said:

Yeah, whatever they say it covers I'd probably cut in half. I have a lantern type thermacell and it works for a 5 ft round patio table that has four chairs around it.
The lantern type gets poor reviews get the original type.

We had three that we triangulated our pool with in Houston and never got bit.
RCR06
AG
Ha, funny you say that or the reviews do. I think the lantern works better than the personal one. I'm really happy with it, I just don't think it is effective to the 15 foot radius they claim.
jrbaggie
We use multiple ones if a single does not work. They are very effective.
SCQ
I have a dozen thermacells. They work, I live close to a river bottom and have the "turkey" size as well.
dr_boogs
AG
OP - would you consider a whole home / perimeter misting system? We put one in when we built the house. Can't recommend them highly enough.
Old Sarge
AG
I don't have a man cave, but I have my man patio/deck where I can watch errr used to watch... sports, listen to Texas Music and smoke good cigars. I use 2 Thermacell lanterns spaced about 10 ft apart. Skeeter free zone in 10-15 minutes. Walk 25 ft away from the zone and get lit up with them. Have the original version for the deer blind. I've gotten in, put the windows down and the singing of skeeters was loud. 10 mins later, none in blind at all.

Woods Ag
AG
In my climbing stand in Texas, it works.

In the Sierras they laughed at it.
JSKolache
AG
Thermacells work, but are pricey to feed. They have new battery op model im looking at now...
Comeby!
AG
We have one. First use, the wife left it running until the fuel ran out.
Russ79
AG
I don't care whether it covers a 15' area or not as long as they keep them off me. I am just selfish that way but I only use them when I hunt anyway.
SchnauzerMom
We have one that we use on the patio. Agree that I don't think it covers 15 feet, but to sit outside watching tv or playing a game of dominoes or wahoo, it works. I think it's time to invest in a few more to help cover the pool and the entire patio area for when we have company over.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.