Outdoors
Sponsored by

Needed: Ranch worker-part time position

5,705 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by zooguy96
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our family operation in west Brazos county is in need of some younger blood, for many of the typical activities required in ranch maintenance.

Clearing fallen trees (chainsaw savvy), brush removal, shredding with a tractor (cab with A/C!), fence repair, spot spraying (thorny crap), weed spraying (boom and boomless sprayers), hog damage repair (disc and/or renovator), changing implements, etc. Welding and mechanical skills helpful, but not necessary (usually done by me).

Occasional cattle work, but we typically use cowboys for the roundups/doctoring related work.

Working with a family member is usually the norm, but if a problem solver and capable of independent work, all the better!

Flexible hours for the student type, targeting 20 hrs or so weekly, $12/hr to start, increased based on skill sets.

Contact info is in my profile.

Thanks!
NRA Life
TSRA Life
flashplayer
AG
Please let us know if unicorns exist.
SanAntoneAg
AG
"Robert Keen, Robert Keen...can you come help me for a minute?"
Gig 'em! '90
Seven Costanza
AG
Are you a lonely widowed woman that is hell bent to make it on your own?
Old RV Ag
AG
flashplayer said:

Yep, a person with all (or several of) those skills would run a heck of a lot more than $12/hr.
will.mcg
AG
I did a similar job in college for $10/hour 10 years ago & was great til to have it. Guess I undervalued myself.
chickencoupe16
AG
Old RV Ag said:

flashplayer said:

Yep, a person with all (or several of) those skills would run a heck of a lot more than $12/hr.
2 years ago, I worked for a company that was paying about $12 (maybe slightly less) for a job with all of these requirements minus the chainsaw work. Turnover was high and some of the guys were lacking, but you get what you pay for. Just like here, we could have gotten higher quality operators but it wasn't in our budget and our area had a large supply of labor with these skills. We ran through them until one stuck for a few years. Many wound up coming back to us.

As a college student, I was unqualified for the chainsaw work which honestly sounds like no fun anyway. But I would have jumped all over $12 an hour if the job was flexible which I imagine this would be. Of course, he would have had me for a max of 4 years and even then, likely much less and not over summers or breaks.
ABCDE
If you have deer throw in free hunting and you will probably have a big list of folks to choose from.
Ogre09
AG
ABCDE said:

If you have deer throw in free hunting and you will probably have a big list of folks to choose from.

This. Or even hogs, dove, etc..
Old RV Ag
AG
will.mcg said:

I did a similar job in college for $10/hour 10 years ago & was great til to have it. Guess I undervalued myself.
Maybe I overpay. Also, some differences in location, work, time, etc. can change things. If the job was worth it to you, then that's what's important.
ftworthag02
AG
I pay $13/hr for basic labor: digging trenches, shoveling soil, mowing, etc
Old RV Ag
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

Old RV Ag said:

flashplayer said:

2 years ago, I worked for a company that was paying about $12 (maybe slightly less) for a job with all of these requirements minus the chainsaw work. Turnover was high and some of the guys were lacking, but you get what you pay for. Just like here, we could have gotten higher quality operators but it wasn't in our budget and our area had a large supply of labor with these skills. We ran through them until one stuck for a few years. Many wound up coming back to us.

As a college student, I was unqualified for the chainsaw work which honestly sounds like no fun anyway. But I would have jumped all over $12 an hour if the job was flexible which I imagine this would be. Of course, he would have had me for a max of 4 years and even then, likely much less and not over summers or breaks.
Chainsaw work is one if the higher paying skills so that would affect it. Also, he says the welding and machining are desired but unnecessary. Just those two put a person into an essentially skilled labor pay. Also, super flexible would be a perk that people will take for a little less. Just saying as written, the desired person was very likely going to be hard to find at that pay. However, the market right now for college students could make it attractive.
chickencoupe16
AG
Old RV Ag said:

chickencoupe16 said:

Old RV Ag said:

flashplayer said:

Chainsaw work is one if the higher paying skills so that would affect it. Also, he says the welding and machining are desired but unnecessary. Just those two put a person into an essentially skilled labor pay. Also, super flexible would be a perk that people will take for a little less. Just saying as written, the desired person was very likely going to be hard to find at that pay. However, the market right now for college students could make it attractive.
That's true, he should speak a little more to the perks of the job (like flexibility). Also, being able to welds is very subjective. I can stick two pieces of metal together with both stick and MIG and the welds will be reasonably strong and pretty but I don't think I deserve any extra pay because of my welding skills.
GSS
Many of y'all are reading way too much into the skills needed, and certainly not all of the work requires a lot of experience (such as spraying honey locust and mesquite with a hand sprayer)
Fence repair can quickly be learned, by assisting one of us. Sometimes a young-un is very helpful, as another set of hands, while they also are increasing their skill sets.

We have had part-timers (students) who were quick learners, self starters, problem solvers...and their pay went up.
We have had those that seemed stumped at any hitch in the plans, maybe did good work, but required supervision to accomplish much.

I try to look at the big picture on what they know, and can accomplish with basic instruction. A great attitude is one of the best attributes. And what they want to learn.

And our flexible hours, to work with varying schedules.

Edited-- a good, solid worker would very likely have access to some great deer hunting, and maybe a work requirement should be "can you shoot well enough to kill any/every hog you see?"

Edit #2-- I'm a good welder, and mechanic...more so than other very helpful family members, but I'm not always there.. Someone else able to jump in and weld/fix something is simply a plus, not a requirement.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
highvelocity
AG
wish i wouldve found something like this in the summer when i was in school. wouldve been a hell of a lot more fun than working at gander mountain
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
Old RV Ag
AG
GSS said:

Many of y'all are reading way too much into the skills needed, and certainly not all of the work requires a lot of experience (such as spraying honey locust and mesquite with a hand sprayer)
Fence repair can quickly be learned, by assisting one of us. Sometimes a young-un is very helpful, as another set of hands, while they also are increasing their skill sets.

We have had part-timers (students) who were quick learners, self starters, problem solvers...and their pay went up.
We have had those that seemed stumped at any hitch in the plans, maybe did good work, but required supervision to accomplish much.

I try to look at the big picture on what they know, and can accomplish with basic instruction. A great attitude is one of the best attributes. And what they want to learn.

And our flexible hours, to work with varying schedules.

Edited-- a good, solid worker would very likely have access to some great deer hunting, and maybe a work requirement should be "can you shoot well enough to kill any/every hog you see?"

Edit #2-- I'm a good welder, and mechanic...more so than other very helpful family members, but I'm not always there.. Someone else able to jump in and weld/fix something is simply a plus, not a requirement.

That's a very good addition. Lots of room for growth, learning/expanding skills, increased pay, added perks, etc. You also sound like someone who'd be good for a young person to work with and learn from.
MouthBQ98
AG
It would be fun in the spring and fall. Not so much in August.
Old RV Ag
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

It would be fun in the spring and fall. Not so much in August.
It is amazing how much paperwork I have to do in July and August.
Serious Lee
assuming we're just talking about tack welding, then the most difficult thing on that list to me is changing the damn implements on a 3pt hitch.
GSS
Walt Luddiger said:

assuming we're just talking about tack welding, then the most difficult thing on that list to me is changing the damn implements on a 3pt hitch.

Gotta learn to use the top-link (and maybe the adjustable 3-pt arm), to make removal/installation go better. Hammers and cussin' may still be applicable...
NRA Life
TSRA Life
CanyonAg77
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

That's why God made quick hitches. Used them since the 1980s, and the time saving and safety factor makes them indispensable.

And:
Quote:

Our family operation in west Brazos county is in need of some younger blood,
Well, I'm not qualified.
Pantera
AG
I am currently employed, so I cannot accept the job offer, but if you have any tanks I'd love to come fishing
RCR06
AG
$12 doesn't seem that unreasonable. That's what the last company I worked for paid laborers with little or no experience.
ratfacemcdougal
I hire help. No one is going to start a top pay. Everyone has a learning curve. Once you are making me money instead of costing me money, you get a nice raise. That can be 2 weeks, could be 2 months....
TOM-M
$12 is about today's equivalent of what I made working for TAES as a student for pretty much the same duties described save the chainsaw, and with the closest thing to to a cabbed tractor being whatever shade a straw hat provided. And I've had gladly traded a chainsaw for snorting red Brazos silt while shredding cotton stalks. I loved that job....beat the hell out of the one before it, building pickup flatbeds and trailer parts for Mr. Carrabba...

Best of luck, OP. Finding what you're looking for is the needle in a haystack. The good attitude part makes the stack a monster (or I'd hire half a dozen right now).
fightingfarmer09
We hire students on a regular basis to work as field and farm hands for our R&D labs. They are expected to do many of those same skills, only we will provide additional training when needed. We pay a similar wage. At the end of a solid employment period they also get a great letter of recommendation from a large Ag company and industry connections.

You are offering flexibility which is good, however how much money and time is spent traveling from school to the location? They can work on or near campus for the same pay, with no added travel, and with similar flexibility. They can easily get 20+ hrs of work with no weekends, they can take a bus from class and get to work, and not regularly work after 5-6pm.

I'm just stating what you are up against, when looking for students to do the work. Unique experience and access to land is the true selling point of the position.
Tom70
AG
You might try offering beer of their choice and lunch at J Cody's.
Moy
CanyonAg77 said:

Walt Luddiger said:

That's why God made quick hitches. Used them since the 1980s, and the time saving and safety factor makes them indispensable.

And:
Quote:

Our family operation in west Brazos county is in need of some younger blood,
Well, I'm not qualified.

He's likely not serious about changing implements, just a desired skill. With the cost of land in Brazos County, they likely have a cabbed JD for each implement. I'm joking of course. Seriously, this sounds like a wonderful opportunity for a college student.....an opportunity not as common as they once were near College Station. Too bad the know-it-all wet behind the ear kids at the Coop wouldn't be interested. They may actually learn something at a job like this. Maybe mention it to customer service counter at the Caldwell and College Station Tractor Supplies.
tamc93
AG
Years ago there was a prof who would offer free summer rent in a furnished apartment during the summer. In exchange, we worked on his ranch between spring and summer semesters for 2 weeks. Free housing and meals during the work session. We never did the math, but for a few CT's that was a hell of a gig.
Gunny456
AG
Bought a John Deere Cat 2. Quick Attach about 5 years ago. Best investment ever made.
Now if somebody would event a truly easy PTO shaft connector! Still cuss every time.
GSS
Gunny456 said:

Bought a John Deere Cat 2. Quick Attach about 5 years ago. Best investment ever made.
Now if somebody would event a truly easy PTO shaft connector! Still cuss every time.
Indeed, the PTO shaft on a 15 ft batwing shredder is a hoss. But if kept lubed and (relatively) clean, it latches quickly....once the splines align.

The quick attach is something we need to look into, but fortunately the primary 3-point implement going on/off the back is a hay spear, somewhat maneuverable. The tractors have the "Universal" quick hitch setups on the FEL.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
TRD-Ferguson
AG
OP, were you hiring folks back in '76. If so, I may have worked for you. $10/day back then. Loved it!
GSS
fightingfarmer09 said:

We hire students on a regular basis to work as field and farm hands for our R&D labs. They are expected to do many of those same skills, only we will provide additional training when needed. We pay a similar wage. At the end of a solid employment period they also get a great letter of recommendation from a large Ag company and industry connections.

You are offering flexibility which is good, however how much money and time is spent traveling from school to the location? They can work on or near campus for the same pay, with no added travel, and with similar flexibility. They can easily get 20+ hrs of work with no weekends, they can take a bus from class and get to work, and not regularly work after 5-6pm.

I'm just stating what you are up against, when looking for students to do the work. Unique experience and access to land is the true selling point of the position.
Re the travel time--- we are both blessed, and cursed, to be relatively close to Bryan and campus. 15 minutes tops from most of B-CS.

The location of one property has us dealing with BTU wanting to install a large sewer line across the property, using the powers given them by their ETJ, which currently extends 3-1/2 miles beyond Bryan's city limits.

NRA Life
TSRA Life
fightingfarmer09
The little details make this a great gig.

I wish you luck, I just know we do not trust anyone who claims to have "tractor experience" no matter how big of a farm they grew up on. I seen too many near misses from bad habits learned as a kid. I'm sure you plan on being over their shoulder until you can trust them.

I bookmarked your post if I come across a suitable candidate.
Playtuagain
AG
Sent you an email. I'm young and handy, and need some money on the side, so I like the sound of it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.