Outdoors
Sponsored by

Monkeypod Waterfall Desk

1,550 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agrams
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last year I took the family to hawaii or a vacation, and of course had to go to a few lumber yards, and got this slab (along with a nice mango slab) shipped back.

Finally had an Ag want a desk this would be perfect for. I flattened/epoxied the top and added a few butterfly dovetails, then did a miter cut on the piece and 'broke' the slab over so the grain continued down the side (hence the name "waterfall" desk. Added a simple drawer, had a 1x3" steel tube frame welded up and took that to get powder coated and here is how it turned out:

The drawer can be moved/shifted around however the owner wants it:

A little texas pride:

There are tenons in the miter joint, and instead of normal glue, I used epoxy for this joint. It fills gaps better and won't shrink over time if the joint isn't perfect tight:

I also put two gussets in. This are countersunk about 1/2" in to each piece, epoxied in, then also screwed:

On the bottom of the waterfall side, I countersunk a piece of hard maple in that sticks about 1/8" proud of the bottom of the base. I don't want someone to try and slide the desk around and the grain grab and tear out or chip. This will let the desk move around more easily and the hard maple can act as a buffer against any potential damage/wear on the floor.

On to my next projects!
Jackrabbit Ag
AG
Very nice!

LostTexasBoy
AG
I love seeing your work. Awesome job once again!
rednecked
AG
that is awesome. I love Monkeypod. it's a very common wood in Costa Rica.
jpd301
AG
Quote:

The drawer can be moved/shifted around however the owner wants it:

Do you have a picture of the underside of the desk or can you describe how this was accomplished please?
Slamn Sharpe
Good job
agrams
AG
it's just a standalone frame that mounts with 4 screws.

jpd301
AG
agrams said:

it's just a standalone frame that mounts with 4 screws.

Thanks.

So if the user wants the drawer in a different spot they would unscrew and mount elsewhere on the underside correct? I misunderstood your initial comment. I was thinking you might have some type of rail system or something so they could slide the drawer left/right laterally on the underside of the desk.
agrams
AG
yeah, just remove 4 screws, reposition, then remount.
txag2008
AG
So were you able to fit that in your carry-on for the flight home?
Aggie12B
AG
That waterfall desk is beautiful. agrams project posts NEVER fail to deliver.
agrams
AG
hah, no I had to get it freighted back. From a boat on the big island, to the oahu, then to long beach, CA, then overland to FW. I also bought a big mango slab at the same time. If I am going to pay to ship one slab, might as well make it worthwhile and ship a second for pretty much the same freight cost.

The hilarious part is I had someone ask about buying a koa table I have in stock. That tree would have been cut down in Hawaii, shipped to Pennsylvania to be milled and dried, then to Texas to be made in to a table, then back to Hawaii to the customer. I am kind of glad they changed their mind, I really didn't want to deal with the shipping it back to Hawaii.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.