Outdoors
Sponsored by

Threatening text messages. Mobile number search?

9,310 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EskimoJoe
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

As a side note, you now have enough evidence to take to the central appraisal district and get your address taken down from the internet search.

It won't stop those clowns from showing up, but it'll stop any future doxxing.

Sorry that's not how it works

The tax code only allows for certain people to be "confidential owners"

If you live in Harris County it's pretty easy to do.

https://hcad.org/assets/uploads/pdf/forms/2020/GTA-IAD-016_fillable_02.06.20.pdf

According to the Public Information Act, the public has a right to access and/or copy your property tax information including your name. Since the Act does not require a governmental body to provide public access to the Internet, the Harris County Appraisal District may remove your name from the information posted on its website at www.hcad.org upon your written request. After you submit this completed form to the Harris County Appraisal District, your name will be replaced with "CURRENT OWNER" as the account owner posted on that website.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
one MEEN Ag
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

As a side note, you now have enough evidence to take to the central appraisal district and get your address taken down from the internet search.

It won't stop those clowns from showing up, but it'll stop any future doxxing.

Sorry that's not how it works

The tax code only allows for certain people to be "confidential owners"
If you're a victim of harassment or receive threats, you can for sure be registered as a confidential owner.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

CrottyKid said:

Sorry for the haitus. I am building a deck.
It was a detective. Regular cops are all used up on "fireworks in the city limits" calls. I think that was a joke. I laughed at it, but the detective just stared at me. It is on the books as a terroristic threat. Patrols in my area will be increased, and I have a specific number to call if anything weird happens. I made sure all of my security camera footage would be backed up, and I have the firearms at the ready. The detective said the number that is texting us is from a burner phone. He actually called it an "Obama phone". I guess I will chill with the guns and see if a bunch of thugs show up in the suburbs. Neighbors are alerted and on the lookout, too. We have a tight knit neighborhood with only one way in and out.

I talked to the kid. He swears he has no idea who it is or why they started texting him. He has been working full time for the last 2 weeks and is currently out of town visiting family.

Sounds exactly like what I would have said as a teenager. I would have been clueless on why someone wanted to kill me

Yep, and burning up the telephone line with my group of idiots as soon as I hung up with the parents trying to fix whatever I did.
Ogre09
AG
So did he get signed up for cat facts?
CrottyKid
AG
No one came to our house, as expected. We think we know who it is now. The police can't be sure because of the burner phone, but the officer who called me (different guy than the one who took our report) says they are fairly certain it is a classmate and that other kids in the same grade at the same high school have reported similar threats from the same number. All of the threats have a race-related message, regardless of the race of the person receiving the message. Put frankly, he texted us with phrases commonly used in black vernacular saying he was going to kill our white asses, but he texted black classmates with very white sounding phrases and threatened to kill their black asses.

Just a dumb kid being dumb.

And yes, I would have lied to my parents about it. And yes, my son lies and does stupid things like I did (sometimes waaaay more stupid things), but I felt like I could trust him on this one. He felt it was a credible threat of race related violence against him and his family.

I'll sleep a little better tonight, but I will still have the security camera sensitivity on high and will still have an arsenal at the ready.
Cromagnum
AG
Dumb kid being dumb or not, actions have consequences. This could potentially wind up pretty badly for the prankster.
Ogre09
AG
CrottyKid said:

No one came to our house, as expected. We think we know who it is now. The police can't be sure because of the burner phone, but the officer who called me (different guy than the one who took our report) says they are fairly certain it is a classmate and that other kids in the same grade at the same high school have reported similar threats from the same number. All of the threats have a race-related message, regardless of the race of the person receiving the message. Put frankly, he texted us with phrases commonly used in black vernacular saying he was going to kill our white asses, but he texted black classmates with very white sounding phrases and threatened to kill their black asses.

Just a dumb kid being dumb.

And yes, I would have lied to my parents about it. And yes, my son lies and does stupid things like I did (sometimes waaaay more stupid things), but I felt like I could trust him on this one. He felt it was a credible threat of race related violence against him and his family.

I'll sleep a little better tonight, but I will still have the security camera sensitivity on high and will still have an arsenal at the ready.

Sounds like someone needs an ass whipping...
goatchze
AG
average_joker said:

Time to talk to the cops, if its getting that specific.
I'd usually say scammers, but it seems pretty personal.
I've also had scammers spoof my number and use it to call people. I got a lot of angry calls from people claiming that they were going to report me to the cops.
Heck, they spoofed my number and called my own phone once.

It took a lot of self control to not answer. I thought it might be me from the future, calling with critical advice. Or, it could be a spammer.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see which one it was.
magnumtmp
AG
goatchze said:

average_joker said:

I've also had scammers spoof my number and use it to call people. I got a lot of angry calls from people claiming that they were going to report me to the cops.

It took a lot of self control to not answer. I thought it might be me from the future, calling with critical advice. Or, it could be a spammer.

It was Biff trying to give you a sports almanac!
Slamn Sharpe
magnumtmp said:

goatchze said:

average_joker said:

It was Biff trying to give you a sports almanac!

Shoulda went all in on the Cubbies
The Lost Hondo
AG
I rate this thread a solid B+. Quick read, compelling mystery and suspense, some good jokes, and it looks like a happy and safe ending for everyone but the person making threats.
DanTanna86
AG
This was the perfect country and western thread...
[b]THE BEST College Football Power Rankings[/b]..[URL]www.DanTanna.com[/URL]
EskimoJoe
goatchze said:

average_joker said:

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.