Outdoors
Sponsored by

PSA: Big Bend NP closed again

3,907 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by oragator
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just saw yesterday where Big Bend NP is closed effective today indefinitely. It appears they had an employee test positive for Covid. Hopefully it will only be for a couple of weeks or so. I have a week long trip planned out there with some friends for next month, and hoping we can still go.

https://www.nps.gov/bibe/learn/news/bbnp-closed-2020-07-01.htm
The Fife
Well that sucks, how on earth are you supposed to catch the rona out in the desert or away from the tourist areas at the basin?! Do they think cactus or trees can transmit it somehow?
dave99ag
AG
The biggest issue is that Alpine's hospital cannot handle COVID cases and Odessa is at capacity too. That area went from 1 confirmed case up until June to over 150. Their system just can't handle it.

When we go down there, we stick to our place as to not put the locals at risk. Yes, the park is huge, but people still go get gas / food in Terlingua, Alpine and Marfa.

DanTanna86
AG
No BBNP for my family. We will probably just put a towel down again and enjoy the outdoors.

[b]THE BEST College Football Power Rankings[/b]..[URL]www.DanTanna.com[/URL]
CrawfordAg
AG
Hope it's only temporary, we have a 5 day trip planned for Lajitas and wanted to spend a couple days in BBNP. If a national park of that size isn't social distancing....
jpb1999
AG
dave99ag said:

The biggest issue is that Alpine's hospital cannot handle COVID cases and Odessa is at capacity too. That area went from 1 confirmed case up until June to over 150. Their system just can't handle it.

When we go down there, we stick to our place as to not put the locals at risk. Yes, the park is huge, but people still go get gas / food in Terlingua, Alpine and Marfa.

Are all 150 in the hospital?
AgDad121619
AG
Have a trip planned to Yellowstone in September - hopefully that won't be affected. Will have to frequent the National forests around it if they move to close park as a backup plan. I have not heard of any restrictions for National forest access to date.
schmellba99
AG
The Fife said:

Well that sucks, how on earth are you supposed to catch the rona out in the desert or away from the tourist areas at the basin?! Do they think cactus or trees can transmit it somehow?
They don't care. It's about control, plain and simple. If you haven't figured that out, don't know what to tell you.
moo
AG
Gonna need story on this place based on folks in the background.
AZAG08
AG
I can understand limiting some of the facilities if they want to discourage people congregating in one place, but how do you close the outdoors?
Animal
AG
DanTanna86 said:

No BBNP for my family. We will probably just put a towel down again and enjoy the outdoors.

You seem to have some really interesting family gatherings there....what exactly is going on in the background??
AgBQ-00
AG
Animal said:

DanTanna86 said:

You seem to have some really interesting family gatherings there....what exactly is going on in the background??
What a photobomb!! I don't care who you are, that's funny!!
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
billyboy2001
AG
Ya, Guadalupe Mountains NP (which I go to often) just opened up last week after being shut down for awhile but the trails they reopened are the ones that I think see the most foot traffic. So go figure.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Welp, now I'm in on this thread. Wtf?
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Came here to say this . . .
labmansid
schmellba99 said:

The Fife said:

They don't care. It's about control, plain and simple. If you haven't figured that out, don't know what to tell you.
I would imagine the decision is based on several things. Nothing official about their reasoning for the closing that I'm aware of. I suspect one big reason is if one employee has it, they want to have others quarantine to be sure they don't have it as well and prevent spreading further to other employees and guests. Even in the big outdoors, people do still have some contact between each other, especially in Terlingua/Study Butte and visitor centers.
labmansid
DanTanna86 said:

Way to derail a thread!

AgEng06
AG
gdit
dave99ag
AG
To add to Sid's comment, I can only imagine if there's an emergency in the park and Rangers are sick with COVID. It's already a bit dangerous due to high heat in the summer, let alone not having enough personnel to help someone that's in trouble.

I don't like the decision to close down the park again, but I also respect it knowing the limited resources in the region.
highlonesomeaggie
AG
In!
AggieChemist
AG
Stupid city people are congregating in outdoor spaces. You know what city people need? Toilets. You wanna share a bathroom with several hundred people a day during the 'rona be my guest. And some poor ******* has to clean it.

Lot of people talking out their asses about muh freedom that have no clue about the logistics of some of these places.
terradactylexpress
Do rural people not use toilets? That explains a lot
Ag 11
AG
Furlock Bones
AG
cohibasymas
AG
Animal said:

DanTanna86 said:

HAHAHAHA AWESOME PHOTOBOMB
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
We have/had plans for the 16th. The "indefinitely" part is the worst. Just my luck we schedule a trip to the vast open spaces and they shut it down. Should have checked with Moose.

jpb1999
AG
AggieChemist said:

Stupid city people are congregating in outdoor spaces. You know what city people need? Toilets. You wanna share a bathroom with several hundred people a day during the 'rona be my guest. And some poor ******* has to clean it.

Lot of people talking out their asses about muh freedom that have no clue about the logistics of some of these places.
Ha, so I have to use the bathroom here at work also that is used by more than several hundred people. This is something that is easily done without licking the toilet seat... Both using and cleaning them.
rootube
AG
AggieChemist said:

Meth will get some of the country folks before the rona. (NSFW Language)

MouthBQ98
AG
People are filthy apparently. Meaning the rona.
angryocotillo
The Fife
AggieChemist said:

At Big Bend that's what cactus and scrub brush are for if you're in the desert, big rocks and trees if you're at the basin.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
jpb1999 said:

dave99ag said:

Are all 150 in the hospital?

I have yet to see any person show written proof of confirmed Covid test as it relates to my job. Which makes me wonder, are employers requesting written proof or just taking person at their word?
oragator
It goes beyond toilet logistics, if other employees there were exposed to this person, they don't want rangers Interacting with guests. This is one national park I haven been to so I don't know how common that is.
But here in metro DC, in the heart of suburbia, Great Falls NP has been open, they just aren't manning the entrance gate. When the lot gets full they cone block the entrance and update the website and social media. When it calms down they send out another one saying it's open again. Easy for the 5 million in an hours driving distance to monitor.
I would assume that isn't as practical for a more out of the way park that people have to drive long distances to visit. It also might not be as practical if there are things like sensitive plant life, wildlife etc that requires monitoring when guests are around and staff is limited.
Jmo.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.