Outdoors
Sponsored by

unitended benefit of a Ring cam

5,435 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Texmid
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Specifically the Ring security/driveway cam.

So I get in bed on sunday night around 10 and notice all of a sudden my wedding ring is not on my finger. I instantly freak out because saturday I flew from Houston to Denver, and definitely washed my hands a few times in airport restrooms (the few times it has fallen off in the past, it's usually when washing hands), plus I had just been visiting parents and friends in Texas for 10 days.. so the location possibilities are endless at first thought. Even on sunday back at home, I went to 3-4 different places running errands. I thought surely I'd notice it gone within a day or two.. but who knows.

I begin looking through pics on my phone of the previous week to see if I can spot it on my hand.. no luck.

A light bulb goes off to check my ring driveway/security camera. It has a great eyeball on my driveway and sunday I was in the yard doing stuff all day. So I start combing through from sunday videos (my only day back from TX before noticing it was gone) and actually come across a moment where I'm bagging the grass from my mower.. and voila.. it's on my hand! Even better,.. this is at 7:30pm.. so I just shortened the timeframe of loss from several days and multiple states/airports/locations, to somewhere on my 1/6 acre property in 2.5 hour window. Quite the relief.. but I still have to find it. Luckily I knew that even after working in the yard most of the day, it was on my hand at 7:30pm and after that I went inside and worked on a few honey do items

So Monday after work I first look around mower, in the shed, where I bagged the grass, in the bag of grass.. nothing.

This morning, I'm retracing my steps inside where I worked on a few things sunday night.. nothing. I decide to go back to my Ring videos to get clues.. and I got it. One more video at 7:45pm, I see myself barely in frame underneath it carrying my air compressor.. light bulb! I used the staple gun to repair some wire mesh on my back fence to keep rabbits out.

I move a few rocks around.. and I catch that glimmer.

Man I feel so much better right now.

The pic of ring on my finger, captured by my Ring cam. A bit of irony I suppose.

Shoefly!
AG
I've lost mine before and it's a terrible feeling.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Another benefit is you can use to camera to see that it is time for a haircut.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I lost mine at a buddy's bachelor party in Austin not long after we were married. Try explaining that to the wife when you get home.
62strat
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Another benefit is you can use to camera to see that it is time for a haircut.
<insert talk to the hand emoji> Hey I'm kinda getting used to my corona-do!

But yeh I was overdue for one about ~2 weeks before quarantining started happening!

CW Griswold
3 Toed Pete
AG
Your wife bought that story of why you weren't wearing your wedding ring?
Mathguy64
AG
I lost mine for almost 9 months. I've been married for 32 years and this was back around the 25 year mark. Found it in a set of wadded up shorts one day. I had given up all hope and was ready to suggest that I replace both mine and MrsMathguy's as a special anniversary gift. With of course a significant upgrade over the plain gold bands. Fortunately I dodged that financial bullet.
AgEng98
This is why I wear silicone rings and keep the real thing secure. Keeps me out of the doghouse. Hard to explain how I misplaced my wedding band, but not my Aggie ring.
DeWrecking Crew
Na Zdrav 87 said:

I lost mine at a buddy's bachelor party in Austin not long after we were married. Try explaining that to the wife when you get home.

Did this involve a ping pong ball? If so I think I know you
62strat
AG
3 Toed Pete said:

Your wife bought that story of why you weren't wearing your wedding ring?
Oh and it's worse.. she stayed back in texas with our kids for a while, I flew home alone.

So yeh.. first night back home and it's hey honey, I just noticed my ring isn't on my finger.... Welp, see you and the kids in 10 days! My town just allowed bars to open back up.. I'm going out!
PharmD4
AG
Shoefly! said:

I've lost mine before and it's a terrible feeling.

At least it wasn't your Aggie ring
Woods Ag
AG
Another benefit is watching the crazy stuff neighbors post.

Earlier today someone posted a picture of a sign in someone's yard.

"This is the <insert last name>s. They call their neighbors n*****s"

It didn't last long before deleted but my goodness...
Badace52
AG
I lost mine three years ago while doing yard work. Still don't have one.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MaxPower
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Did you try bringing a metal detector to the strip club?
fav13andac1)c
AG
I can't tell if the pun was intended or not, but that's awesome.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
How did you know there was a strip club involved in the evening's activities? Were you there??
The Fife
Mine disappeared for 5 or 6 years. Before I rebuilt the kitchen I used to put it on top of a container along with my keys when I got home. The container was next to the toaster and down it went. For years, and I tore apart the interior of my car and everywhere else looking for it. Found it when I decided to dump out the crumb catcher and there it was.

None of that matters now since I'm divorced but you know, whatever.
Astrobo
AG
I lost mine 10 years ago. Left in a golf cart. Stopped at a pawn shop and bought a $90 replacement that looks just like it. I have never said a word about it to anyone.
Mathguy64
AG
Astrobo said:

I lost mine 10 years ago. Left in a golf cart. Stopped at a pawn shop and bought a $90 replacement that looks just like it. I have never said a word about it to anyone.

That's a great solution. Until the wife happens to look inside at the inscription that's says "to my loving husband - Lucy, 4/13/2001" and your wife is named Joy and you got married in 1995. Then you got some 'splain to do.
AgEng06
AG
mathguy86 said:

Astrobo said:

That's a great solution. Until the wife happens to look inside at the inscription that's says "to my loving husband - Lucy, 4/13/2001" and your wife is named Joy and you got married in 1995. Then you got some 'splain to do.
That's.... oddly specific.
SweaterVest
AG
Astrobo said:

I thought about quietly buying two when I got married so that I'd have a backup when this inevitably happens.
TMfrisco
AG
On another note, do you guys think it is a big deal to wear your ring? I've been married almost 28 years and because of my work don't ever wear mine. I have it and try to remember to wear it when my wife and I go out, but she doesn't care one bit that I don't wear mine.
The down side is I don't wear my Aggie Ring very much either and I have caught a little grief the few times my wife has caught me with my Aggie Ring on but not my wedding ring.
AZAG08
AG
When I got married we bought a cheap weeding band off amazon. My wife said there is a really good chance you will lose this so lets make it replaceable. 9 years later and I still have it.

She wouldn't care if I lost it, or really if I even wore it.

Woods Ag
AG
I don't wear mine. Thought about getting a tattoo to appease my wife, but havent done that either. I don't wear any jewelry though. Ag ring included.

She's got me hook line and sinker and she knows it so I don't think she's bothered by it much.
dubi
AG
Mr Dubi's wedding ring was lost 26 years ago and it was never replaced. I asked and he declined to get another. That probably makes dating easier since he doesn't have a tan line!
CharlieBrown17
AG
I only wear mine on weekends or when we go out

Can't fly with it and don't want to wear it and my ag ring to work, take them off and keep track of them all day on a regular basis
Tx Ag72
I take off both rings when I come home and I never wear them on the weekend unless we are going out. I know guys who have lost ring fingers because of getting caught on/in something. And yes, I know some rings have saved fingers.. And I have friends who never take their rings off. It's my comfort level.
GeorgiAg
AG
I have a weird problem. My ring "shrank." Crazy. It fit great in school but something weird happened.
Texmid
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

How did you know there was a strip club involved in the evening's activities? Were you there??
How did I miss out on this? Must have been before 2000.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.