Outdoors
Sponsored by

Huge tree, question about making slabs

3,082 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgCWby90CS
SquirrellyDan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A big pecan tree, 5-6 feet in diameter fell down. How would one go about getting someone to cut it into slabs? I can't imagine getting equipment there big enough to remove it...will someone set up the equipment to mill on site? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance
bkag9824
AG
Here's a running start to find out:

https://woodmizer.com/us/Find-a-Local-Sawyer
Funky Winkerbean
AG
You can take it to a mill and have it cut into slabs and kiln dried.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
agrams
AG
either way you are going to need to rent equipment to move some heavy slabs (or the log itself). A tree 4' or wider you want to cut at least 3" thick, maybe 4. a 4"x60"x120" slab will weigh over 800lbs (dry). Add 30-40% for wet and you got a beast. Just ask Aggiedent. Look for mills with WM1000's. M&G sawmill in Huntsville, Harden sawmill in Sanger are a couple.

Now if you want to cut it on site, I can post some details on that process, but be prepared to get your butt kicked and a few long days of work. And you still need to get it dried and flattened afterwards.
TX AG 88
AG
username fits pretty good
SquirrellyDan
AG
agrams said:

either way you are going to need to rent equipment to move some heavy slabs (or the log itself). A tree 4' or wider you want to cut at least 3" thick, maybe 4. a 4"x60"x120" slab will weigh over 800lbs (dry). Add 30-40% for wet and you got a beast. Just ask Aggiedent. Look for mills with WM1000's. M&G sawmill in Huntsville, Harden sawmill in Sanger are a couple.

Now if you want to cut it on site, I can post some details on that process, but be prepared to get your butt kicked and a few long days of work. And you still need to get it dried and flattened afterwards.

It's pretty far down in a somewhat swampy bottom, I can't imagine getting heavy equipment down there. It would have to be done on site.
yaterag
AG
The issue is if it is that swampy you aren't going to find anyone that will take a big mill down there to do it. You'll have to go the chainsaw mill route unless you are pulling it out. Keep in mind that even if the tree is 30' long you aren't going to mill boards that length. Cut the sections into manageable pieces. I typically don't mill anything longer than 9' unless I have a really specific project in mind that would warrant the extra length.

SquirrellyDan
AG
So for the chain saw mill route...are there people that hire out to do that?
agrams
AG
there are. whereabouts are you located?
Log
AG
It's doable. Sucks though.

agrams
AG
yup..dang hard work. this pecan tree pushed 4'.

bam02
AG
6' diameter pecan?!?!? Do they get that big?
SquirrellyDan
AG
agrams said:

there are. whereabouts are you located?

Brenham/chapel hill area
SquirrellyDan
AG
bam02 said:

6' diameter pecan?!?!? Do they get that big?

That's an estimate, but it's at least five feet. When I was a kid the guy who used to come around with the tree shaker said it was one of a few that he'd seen that size. That's part of the reason I want to try and make something out of it.....it's been around a long time. Kind of sad to see it fall
bkag9824
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

I'm genuinely not trying to be rude or snarky here, but did you even look at the link I gave you?

Put in Texas and the site will give you a list of sawyers with mobile equipment. Some sawyers give details on how far they will travel, cut capacity, etc.

Agrams has given you a glimpse into what it's going to take and I've given you a website of a manufacturer with listed sawyers. Now up to you to start calling folks. . .

ETA - while the website has mobile sawyers with large equipment, you might start with them and ask if any of them are willing to do a chainsaw arrangement. Get some specific measurements, photos of the area/conditions somebody would have to deal with, etc.
SquirrellyDan
AG
bkag9824 said:

SquirrellyDan said:

I'm genuinely not trying to be rude or snarky here, but did you even look at the link I gave you?

Put in Texas and the site will give you a list of sawyers with mobile equipment. Some sawyers give details on how far they will travel, cut capacity, etc.

Agrams has given you a glimpse into what it's going to take and I've given you a website of a manufacturer with listed sawyers. Now up to you to start calling folks. . .

ETA - while the website has mobile sawyers with large equipment, you might start with them and ask if any of them are willing to do a chainsaw arrangement. Get some specific measurements, photos of the area/conditions somebody would have to deal with, etc.

I'm also not being snarky, and I appreciate your help. There's a chance someone may provide advice outside of the advice you gave. Thank you for your concern.

ETA: I posted this earlier today... I fully understand I'll need to call someone. Never asked for help with that. Just was asking for advice bc I admittedly know nothing about it.
agneck
Why would you want lumber out of pecan?
agrams
AG
pecan is a great wood for projects. It is ~30-50% harder than oak/hard maple, has great character, and is a relatively economical wood.

This is a table from one of those pecan slabs in my previous post:

This desk is all pecan (I milled the top slab, but the base was purchased wood from a lumber yard)

pecan gaming/dining table:

plus, that tree has sentimental value as the OP mentioned. Any time you can do a project from a tree with special meaning, its an awesome project.

Squirrellyy,
Even if you mill it in place, be prepared to need a tractor or machine to remove the slabs. You won't carry those out by hand.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Can you wench it out of the swampy bottom?
GSS
This is the largest of three that went down in 2019. Still pondering if it's worth the effort / $$ to recover the trunk wood.
And as mentioned before, if BBQ wood is desired, plenty is available.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
aggiedent
AG
Here was the tree we milled and some of the things agrams has made so far. For perspective, my wife is 5'4 ".

ratfacemcdougal
Pecan is beautiful and has plenty of character for furniture. oak is boring....
DatTallArchitect
AG
That's a gorgeous table!
agrams
AG
we hit metal every single slab we cut on that log. saved a lot and tried to Integrate them back in to the top.

rootube
AG
This one was supposedly 300 years old and easily that big.
Jackrabbit Ag
AG
That is a big tree!!

cavscout96
AG
I've got one big oak down and about a dozen tops broken out.

How big do they need to be to be "worth it" to have a sawyer out?

I'm thinking a lot of it will go to BBQ, but was wondering about the trunks and big-a$$ limbs.

AgCWby90CS
AG
cavscout96 said:

I've got one big oak down and about a dozen tops broken out.

How big do they need to be to be "worth it" to have a sawyer out?
I'm thinking a lot of it will go to BBQ, but was wondering about the trunks and big-a$$ limbs.

Depends on what you want to build and what you can do yourself without hiring out.
I built this mesquite grandfather clock from three 8-9" by 4' long logs. Bandsaw and jointer to get to manageable pieces.

CWby '90
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.