Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help with push mower engine problem

1,176 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Mr. Dubi
clarythedrill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I came into possession of a brand new Poulan push mower. It was a return due to not starting. I was told to make it go away, so I made it go away to my house. Again, it is brand new.

Problem is every other pull on the pull starter causes a severe kick-back, which rips the pull handle out of your hand and hurts like hell. On the pulls that are smooth, it acts like it wants to start, but will not get going.

I pulled the plug and pulled the handle and it is smooth as silk, and I tipped it over and nothing came out of the cylinder, so no hydrolock. Oil level is perfect. Fuel is new. I removed the air cleaner and sprayed some starting fluid into the carb and tried to get it going, and the kick-back was ferocious. I also pulled the valve cover off to see if there was anything amiss in there, and all looked fine, and everything worked smoothly when I turned the blade to make it go through the cycles.

I will probably take it to a small engine repairman to see if there is something simple wrong, but thought I would see if anybody on here has an idea as to what is wrong or to check. Thanks.
0708aggie
AG
sheered flywall key?

clarythedrill
0708aggie said:

sheered flywall key?

That is the exact same symptom I have. Thank you for the video, I am going to go check that key this evening and see if that is the culprit.

EDIT: Nope, a broken key was not the problem. I know it has spark, fuel, and air....and by god it has compression for sure. The handle is really hard to pull, then gives way, then snaps back really hard. I am stumped on this one.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Yep, had same symptoms on an old mower. Replacing shear pin fixed it.
clarythedrill
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

This one has a regular half moon key, and it is in great shape and holding fine. Something else is wrong here. It backfires through the carb when it tries to start. Absolutely nothing out of the exhaust. I will remove the exhaust to make sure it is not plugged in any way.
0708aggie
AG
Have you checked the blade? Is it on tight?
0708aggie
AG
https://support.cubcadet.com/s/article/451-1

That shows your typical culprits.
TxSquarebody
Just spitballing here...is the pull cord wound properly?
Floor it until you see God
Greenchiles
AG
Timing seems to be off somehow.
I'm really surprised it's not the flywheel key. I had the same symptoms on my hrx and found that the key had sheared.
coolerguy12
AG
Loose valve is my guess assuming it's a 4 stroke.
agnerd
AG
clarythedrill said:

Sweet Kitten Feet said:

This one has a regular half moon key, and it is in great shape and holding fine. Something else is wrong here. It backfires through the carb when it tries to start. Absolutely nothing out of the exhaust. I will remove the exhaust to make sure it is not plugged in any way.
That's my guess. If it's brand new, I wonder if the exhaust gasket got put on but didn't have the actual hole cut in it to let exhaust out through the middle.
Mr. Dubi
Probably timing. My weed eater does it from time to time, on the second engine (replaced under warranty) both had the same issue. If you could ****** the ignition it would fix it.

What I meant to say, but the butthurt nanny starred it out is lower the IQ of the electronic ignition to democrat level
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.