Outdoors
Sponsored by

Big Shell Mustang Island

1,295 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MouthBQ98
Danno93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So the family is staying on Mustang Island for vacation. Years ago, I went on a guided fishing trip with a guide who is now retired. When he took us past the big shell, I knew that I need to take my wife there. However, we don't have a 4x4. Any ideas?
Eagle2020
AG
I bet that was Billy Sandeford (sp?). Do any of the car rental places in Corpus have any Jeeps?
TarponChaser
That was Billy Sandifer. He passed a couple years back after a battle with cancer.

He was an interesting old salt. I don't know what he did in Vietnam but he came home from the war pretty messed up and lived as a hermit down on PINS for a while when he got back (might have been a couple years). He literally camped out by himself in the dunes and fed himself by fishing and probably poaching a little. He only came into town once a month or so.

Supposedly exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam caused his cancer.
WestGalvestonAggie
TarponChaser said:

That was Billy Sandifer. He passed a couple years back after a battle with cancer.

He was an interesting old salt. I don't know what he did in Vietnam but he came home from the war pretty messed up and lived as a hermit down on PINS for a while when he got back (might have been a couple years). He literally camped out by himself in the dunes and fed himself by fishing and probably poaching a little. He only came into town once a month or so.

Supposedly exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam caused his cancer.

Fascinating dude. Here's a good read about Billy...

https://www.padreislandexpeditions.com/captain-billy-sandifer

Danno93
Yes it was Billy, interesting character. I'm sorry he passed. He took us all the way down to the cut, then the fuel pump went out on his truck. Called a buddy of his who was retired FBI to come and get us while he stayed and camped or whatever and fixed his truck. Needless to say, he comped the trip, but we still gave him a nice tip to cover the stories and education we got.

I'm hoping for finding a 4x4 rental or if there's a fishing guide who might do a similar style.
MouthBQ98
AG
I've been way down mustang island in a 2wd 3/4 ton truck, but it took some experience in sand driving to make it work. If you stay in tracks on the hard pack just above the high tide zone, and go slow but steady, and lower your tire pressure to 20PSI or so, you can usually do pretty well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.