Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help me with a giant yellow jacket nest

13,491 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fightin TX Aggie
rootube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2013/06/25/giant-yellow-jacket-nest-destroyed-in-florida.html

Largest nest ever?
This totally reminds me of that giant wasp nest hanging in the Heep building back in the day. Does anyone remember that? I can't seem to find a pic but that was a whopper.
Slamn Sharpe
Billy Foster said:

No f'ing way that thing lands in a trash can at the bottom of that thick stuff. Unless you have a secret Plinko strategy, that thing stays or burns.

It can't stay because it will end up doubling in size and beyond. I've seen them on the internet reach well over 6 ft. The bald-faced hornet will continue to attack and in groups . A nest that size could kill a person
AggieChemist
AG
Yellow jackets build their nests underground.
Martin Cash
AG
That's not a yellow jacket nest.
AggieChemist
AG
I know, right? I remember when the whole outdoors board knew **** and not just me.
RCR06
AG
If it were me and I decided it needed to go. I'd trim everything underneath that I could. Place a plastic kiddie pool underneath filled with dawn dish soap and water. Then cut the limb that the nest is attached to, trying my best to drop it in the pool.

However you do it, please have someone record.
Ag83
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

One of my kids noticed this nest on Monday while cleaning up downed trees after a wind storm. I suppose it has been there for a long time and we've not realized it. The nest is 20-24" in diameter and about 15 feet off the ground. I've been brainstorming how to remove this thing, preferably with a method that eradicates the occupants as well. It is my property on both sides of the fence.

How would you tackle this?

Tools at my disposal:
Gas powered pole saw
Tyvek suit, respirator, other sufficient PPE
20' extension ladder
8' ladder
6-8 cans of wasp spray

Currently, my best plan is an early morning chemical assault with full PPE from an 8' ladder. I've read night is the best time, but would rather have at least a little light to see plus have the cool of the morning.

Anyone have a flamethrower I could borrow?

Thoughts?
Whatever you decide, please film in landscape mode!
ldg397
AG
Wow two tools are essential. The go pro and some of that foaming wasp spray. It expands and traps them in the foam until they die. Pretty effective in my smaller sample size. Spray the crap out of it and run jump in the pool if you have one.

I guess some ppe if you want to be a p.
Wooahhhh
AG
WD-40, it screws up their ability to fly.
Slamn Sharpe
AggieChemist said:

Correct. The reason so many refer to them as a "yellowjacket" because they're closely related. I'm curious how hes gonna get rid of it with it so high off the ground and as many that are living in it
EMY92
AG
45-70Ag
AG
I once shot one somewhere near that size with a 20 gauge.
I would recommend not doing that.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I don't think that thing is what you think it is. Please get a closer pic before we can give you sound advice. If you can get a pic inside it would help.
rich1
AG
May just be a swarm of bees. If so they will likely move on.
ItsA&InotA&M
A can of hair spray and a Bic lighter should do the trick.
Max Power
AG
Don't listen to these people, if you use chemicals or burn it you'll ruin all that sweet hornet honey.
Usoos
AG
I'd try and figure out a way to lift a trashcan to the nest rather than try and get the nest to fall in the can.

Maybe put a tall folding ladder under the nest. Bring the trash can to the top of the ladder and then fill out full of water and soap. Lift the trash can until the nest is submerged. Then block the trash can up so it sits on the ladder until the wasps are drowned.
Slamn Sharpe
Usoos said:

I'd try and figure out a way to lift a trashcan to the nest rather than try and get the nest to fall in the can.

Maybe put a tall folding ladder under the nest. Bring the trash can to the top of the ladder and then fill out full of water and soap. Lift the trash can until the nest is submerged. Then block the trash can up so it sits on the ladder until the wasps are drowned.

I cant believe someone blue star'd this.

Seriously, stay away from the nest unless you want to end up in the ER
TxAG-010
AG
You have to try and preserve that thing!

Get it in a trash bag some how, throw it in a deep freeze for a week to kill all the devil flies then you have an awesome hornets nest to display.
TxAG-010
AG
You have to try and preserve that thing!

Use ninja skills to get it in a big trash bag, throw it in a deep freeze for a week to to kill all of the devil flies. Then you have a story and an awesome hornets nest to display!
30wedge
You need fire, lots of fire, lots and lots of fire.
jrbaggie
A friend of mine is a surveyor who was working on a big project in the Trinity River bottom (Leon County) around Christmas time about 15 years ago when he found one of those paper hornet's nest. About 24" tall and in perfect shape. He cut it down because it was empty and brought it back to the office and hung it from the ceiling in his office. It was 30 degrees outside and Friday afternoon. Good thing he closed his office door when he went home for the weekend because 70 degrees in that office brought them back to life, as they were inactive by the cold but really pissed off on Monday morning. About 300 to 400 swarming his office. They can kick a yellowjacket's ass any day of the week.
BuddysBud
AG
When I was about 12 yrs, our neighbor found a large paper nest in a bush. He waited until dark to make sure all the wasps were in the nest, suited up in full beekeeper gear, and lit it with a lighter. It flash burned quickly but it was cool watching the flaming wasps flying out. That took care of them.

It probably wasn't the smartest thing but it was exciting to watch from a distance.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
The only logical answer is take an M-1000 place it in a slingshot, light said M-1000 and shoot in to the nest. Oh yeah, as others have mentioned, please film yourself performing this activity.
76Ag
AG
Build a smoky fire under it to put them in a stupor and then shoot it down so it lands in the fire. If it can be reached with that hornet spray then do that after the smoke. If doable the flamethrower option may be the best bet.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Martin Cash said:

Quote:

Dolichovespula maculata is a eusocial wasp of the cosmopolitan family Vespidae. Its colloquial names include the bald-faced hornet, bald hornet, white-faced hornet, white-tailed hornet, white-ass hornet, spruce wasp, blackjacket, and bull wasp. This species is a yellowjacket wasp, not a true hornet (genus Vespa).
- Wiki

ETA- OP, I recommend a drone chainsaw with a burn barrel beneath.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Picard
AG
Drone equipped with a flame thrower

Rexter
Whatever you hit it with, you better be far, far away. A hornet can track back where the object came from. It only takes one time hitting one with a baseball to figure out those things have radar.
Shoefly!
AG
Your gonna laugh but it worked for me. I asked an old timer I worked with if he ever had a huge wasp nest he had to get rid of and he proceeded to tell me how to rid of it. 1st you find an old straw broom, dewsh it with charcoal fluid or diesel, 2nd you cover yourself up with a heavy coat, mosquito netting on your face, 3rd put on heavy leather or the heavy rubber gloves, 4the wrap a heavy scarf around your neck,5th put on a heavy coat and a cowboy hat. Next practice getting up the 8 ft ladder with the broom to the height of the nest. If you feel queezy that's how your suppose to feel, have your vehicle close enough for you to jump down and have the door open if this plan starts going south, this is what I did and it worked . I lit the broom went up the ladder stuck the broom right under the nest and all you hear is all the wasp dropping to the ground because you have burned their wings off in a millisecond.
AnScAggie
AG
Picard said:

Drone equipped with a flame thrower

You mean like this?

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3064402/0
rfvgy12
AG
Martin Cash said:

Honey Wasp. Non aggressive and good pollination.

I have one that size in my front tree above my entry way. Leave them alone.
“If one side is protesting racism, then the other side is counter protesting racism.” @thekellenmond
In response to pro Sul Ross statue protesters and fellow Aggies.
Law361
AG
Invite Kevin Stubbs - Expedition Outfitters over.

Put Kevin under nest.

Cut nest down.

Profit??
AnScAggie
AG
Law361 said:

Invite Kevin Stubbs - Expedition Outfitters over.

Put Kevin under nest.

Cut nest down.

Profit??
No, Kevin Stubbs - Expedition Outfitters will bill you for his travel expenses and then turn you over to a collection agency when you do not pay. So there will be no profit, but it would still be a good way to spend $450 don't you think?
ABATTBQ11
AG
PneumAg said:

ConstructionAg01 said:

PneumAg said:

I would nuke your entire yard from orbit. Holy ****
Nuclear blast was my first idea, but my wife shot that one down.

Divorce her and find a younger hotter one who will let you do what you want

Wherever you want...
ABATTBQ11
AG
AggieChemist said:

Not all. Depends on specific species.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.