Outdoors
Sponsored by

Used Boats and why so many low hour boats

6,517 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jja79
AgsMnn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been looking at boats here and there, but mainly on these pages on Facebook. A lot of these boats are 2019 a 2018 models with under 50 hours on the engine. I am curious on where these boats are coming from? Are people buying new boats every year or are people having buyers remorse? A lot of these are not cheap boats either.

Just curious on this topic, because eventually we will get a center console boat for the coast and some lakes.
Ag_07
AG
Every boat owner I know has buyer's remorse.

And the #1 reason is 'I don't use it enough'.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Not to mention we have record unemployment....
agnerd
AG
For fishing boats, you might have the motor on for an hour to get where you're going, fish all day, and then an hour to get back. So 2 hours per day, every other weekend for 6 months out of the year = 24 hours per year.

For ski/pleasure boats, you might have more time skiing and tubing with the motor on, but there's also time with the motor off parked in the water swimming around. You also start out strong going two weekends in a row before remembering you have to work to make the boat payment, kids have activities, and there's a lot of maintenance, and prep to have a lake day including food, drinks, gas, and cleaning. You still have to fit in mowing the grass on the weekend too. 3 weekends per month quickly changes to 1 per month, and then just memorial day, 4th of july, and labor day at which point you realize its cheaper to just rent a boat.
Sailor
When oil is down, all the toys the oilfield trash buy gets dumped on the market. Boats, ATV's, UTV's, RV's, Dodge Duallys, etc.
docb
AG
Very few people use a boat as much as they should. Plus I'm sure with the economy down there are a lot of people overextended and need to unload stuff. Good time to try and make a deal IMO.
AstroAggie15
AG
Sailor said:

When oil is down, all the toys the oilfield trash buy gets dumped on the market. Boats, ATV's, UTV's, RV's, Dodge Duallys, etc.

Anyone that gets offended by this is just mad cause it's true
GSS
The standard cliche:
Two happiest days of boat ownership, the day you buy it, the day you sell it...
NRA Life
TSRA Life
LRHF
AG
Strange times, while boats may be flooding the market, RV sales have spiked.

We just bought a small travel trailer for a 4-5 month road trip and the used market was terrible (not many). New stock is dwindling because manufacturing was stopped for a while due to covid.
AgsMnn
AG
docb said:

Very few people use a boat as much as they should. Plus I'm sure with the economy down there are a lot of people overextended and need to unload stuff. Good time to try and make a deal IMO.

I am looking for that deal that is hard to pass up.
Slamn Sharpe
Ag_07 said:

Every boat owner I know has buyer's remorse.

And the #1 reason is 'I don't use it enough'.

Came here to post this. Everyone wants one, a small fraction actually use them
87IE
AG
agnerd said:

For fishing boats, you might have the motor on for an hour to get where you're going, fish all day, and then an hour to get back. So 2 hours per day, every other weekend for 6 months out of the year = 24 hours per year.

For ski/pleasure boats, you might have more time skiing and tubing with the motor on, but there's also time with the motor off parked in the water swimming around. You also start out strong going two weekends in a row before remembering you have to work to make the boat payment, kids have activities, and there's a lot of maintenance, and prep to have a lake day including food, drinks, gas, and cleaning. You still have to fit in mowing the grass on the weekend too. 3 weekends per month quickly changes to 1 per month, and then just memorial day, 4th of july, and labor day at which point you realize its cheaper to just rent a boat.
He/She posts like a current/former boat owner.
Post removed:
by user
TarponChaser
agnerd said:

My boat is for sale. It's a 2015 and I've got about 100 hours on the motor because I use it about 2x per month, year round but it's 100% for fishing and I typically only run it 45 minutes round-trip when I fish.

99% of the places I hit are within a 20 minute ride, one-way from the ramp. Then I'm either using the push pole, trolling motor, or getting out to wade. Even when I've hit the beach front looking for tarpon or the jetties it's a short ride on the outboard and then using the TM. Even when I go down to POC it's only about 15 minutes from the Fishing Center to the gulf side of the jetties or Sunday Beach.

45 minutes x 25 trips per year x 5 years = about 94 hours. My trolling motor has WAAAAY more time on it than my outboard.

I'm selling it because I want a technical poling skiff.
docb
AG
This is true. I just wonder how many hours I have on my trolling motor!
agfan2013
AG
LRHF said:

Strange times, while boats may be flooding the market, RV sales have spiked.

We just bought a small travel trailer for a 4-5 month road trip and the used market was terrible (not many). New stock is dwindling because manufacturing was stopped for a while due to covid.

People still want to take vacations this summer and get out of the house, but dont want to fly somewhere or roadtrip with the virus still going on. So theyre buying campers/RVs so they can get out somewhere with the family but also be away from crowds.

I've seen several people suggest that if you are looking into buying a RV or camper, you should wait a couple of years as there will be a ton hitting the market once we can get past this virus and people go back to more normal vacation patterns.
Slamn Sharpe
agnerd said:

Naaaa. Keep that hoe in storage, credit be damned
mwlkr
AG
GSS said:

The standard cliche:
Two happiest days of boat ownership, the day you buy it, the day you sell it...
Cliche hell. That's gospel.
Ragoo
AG
A boat is a luxury item and should never be financed.

When your boat isn't financed debt service doesn't become a negative while owning the boat.
pdc093
Have 2005 Rinker express cruiser with 178 hrs. We're in the NW, boating season is REALLY short here.
Silky Johnston
Maybe I am looking in the wrong places, but I haven't seen many low hour, good deal boats for sale.
Gardening Ag

We bought our boat 2 years old with 45 hours on it. Four years later it has about 600.

I made sure to buy a boat we'd use. That meant getting something affordable without all the bells and whistles that was easy maintenance. We sacrificed living in a nice neighborhood to live a little ways out where we could have enough land to park the boat at our house. I don't pay for slip fees or storage. When we come home late from a day on the lake I can park it and clean it up the next morning. I can't imagine life without it, it's a huge part of our lives. It's a game changer during the long hot summers.

halfastros81
AG
You know what BOAT stands for .... right?

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Having said that Iv'e owned one every day of my life since mid 1986. I probably average using mine about 50-60 days of the year. I have retirement in sight tho.... probably will double that for the next 10 yrs... God willing.

AgsMnn
AG
You got pictures and price?
TarponChaser
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2015-panga-panga-marine-18-evo-7437295/
Post removed:
by user
FIDO*98*
AG
Guess you don't know me. I'll sell my car and ride a bike before I'll go without a boat

Ragoo
AG
Or $0.30
TarponChaser
jayelbee said:

Everything should be financed. That's how you take the dollar in your pocket and turn it into $20 worth of stuff.

If I have $30K cash and stick it in a fund averaging a pretty modest 6% annual return and don't touch it for 5 years, I'll have a little over $40K at the end of that time.

So if I keep my $30K in the bank and finance a $30K boat for the same 5 years at a pretty easily found 6% rate my total payout will be about $35K.

So it's $5K smarter to finance than pay cash.
FIDO*98*
AG
Overall, I think a better way to state Ragoo's point is can you afford to buy it with cash? If yes, decide what is best. If no, you probably shouldn't be buying it.

Dammit......I may have just talked myself out of a new boat on this post
AggieChemist
AG
Like clockwork, everybody shows up to **** on boat ownership and pass along tired cliches.

Y'all are doing it wrong. I'd sell my kid first.

Ragoo
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Overall, I think a better way to state Ragoo's point is can you afford to buy it with cash? If yes, decide what is best. If no, you probably shouldn't be buying it.

Dammit......I may have just talked myself out of a new boat on this post
This is pretty much exactly my point

Note: I paid cash for my boat because to me financing a boat is an actual money pit.
FIDO*98*
AG
That said, the reason I'm wanting a new boat is because I didn't spend enough money on my current boat. I made myself 'stay in budget' instead of going about 4-5K over Now to get everything like I want would mean taking the loss on my current boat plus the cost of a new boat or about 12K to retrofit. I wish I could go back and kick myself in the nuts for not taking out a small loan.

Slamn Sharpe
I didn't think you had kids or is that part of the joke?
AggieChemist
AG
I have a 10.5 year old.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.