Outdoors
Sponsored by

Space flight with people- definitely outdoors

5,939 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ag_of_08
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I promise to close my pie hole after today about all this, but I'm excited, and want as many people as possible to see it!

Today marks the historic US return to manned flight. Launching from LC 39a, SpaceX will launch two NASA astronauts to the ISS for the final certification flight of their new vehicle!! This is the stream I will probably watch, tim is honestly a good guy, and is very much a self made personality.

zag213004
AG
No need to do that. This is a monumental day for spaceflight. This should get more attention than it has received from the media. I am hopeful for a very good day with this
Wooahhhh
AG
It's raining cats & dogs right now in Central Florida, the rainy season started with a 3 day deluge. I doubt they get it off today. You might have to wait one more day.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Not to be that ass, but I think there are two reasons why its not covered more:

a) Fear of saying something good happening
b) Admitting private enterprise entering a governmental field, at a fraction of the cost, might be a good thing.
TacosaurusRex
Hey Ag, good to hear from you again. I appreciate you keeping us informed about the space.
"If you are reading this, I have passed on from this world — not as big a deal for you as it was for me."
T. Boone Pickens
FIDO 96
AG
This is OB supported. Will be tuned in for lift-off
Ag_of_08
AG
Wooahhhh said:

It's raining cats & dogs right now in Central Florida, the rainy season started with a 3 day deluge. I doubt they get it off today. You might have to wait one more day.

very hit and miss over the next three hours. rainy wont necessarily stop it/

this is the official stream

BenderRodriguez
AG
Ill try to tune in.

We should be able to get astronauts in space without hitching a ride from another country.

Warships should be named things like Enterprise and not after politicians.

Men should carry powerful handguns and women should wear tight clothing.

'Merica
AggieGunslinger
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Ill try to tune in.

We should be able to get astronauts in space without hitching a ride from another country.

Warships should be named things like Enterprise and not after politicians.

Men should carry powerful handguns and SOME women should wear tight clothing.

'Merica

FIFY

As I get older I become more and more libertarian/conservative, but I am okay with the govt having a helping hand in exploration whether it be oceanic, polar, or space. However this is a perfect example of why it should be mostly driven by private dollars, SpaceX spends about 1/6th the money the .gov does to get 1lb of material into space.
AgsMnn
AG
Weather is not looking good.
Post removed:
by user
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I wish we could do this without hearing from Musk. I am glad he is doing some of the things he is doing, but would really like him to just stfu for a while.
I Am A Critic
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I wish we could do this without hearing from Musk. I am glad he is doing some of the things he is doing, but would really like him to just stfu for a while.

Show us on the doll where he touched you. The world would be a better place if we had more visionary people like him.
Username checks out.
STX Ag
AG
Sounds like they called it. Maybe tomorrow.
TXAG 05
AG
If they don't go today, they have to wait til Saturday
STX Ag
AG
Yep, just said next window is Saturday.
schmellba99
AG
Launch was just scrubbed
Bregxit
AG
Saturday 3:22 EDT
expresswrittenconsent
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

Not to be that ass, but I think there are two reasons why its not covered more:

a) Fear of saying something good happening
b) Admitting private enterprise entering a governmental field, at a fraction of the cost, might be a good thing.

IMO, The real reason it 'isn't covered' is lack of interest. The cause of that is primarily twofold:
1. Every child in America was watching live on in-classroom TVs when a teacher exploded. American interest in space at that moment plummeted from this great source of pride from '68-82 and the top aspirational job for little kids to something nobody really cared about.
2. Space was also a big way for the USA and USSR to try and keep score during the entire cold war. A few short years after that challenger explosion the soviet flag was lowered for the last time.

No desire from the people/citizenry, and no/minimal benefit for our military (plus additional shuttle failures) made for a predictable decline.
rootube
AG
The reason people lost interest in the space program is that there has been a lack of anything to be very excited about as it relates to manned space flight. It's fantastic that we have a US rocket that will return humans to space but if we are being honest this is something we accomplished fifty years ago with a much more ambitious program.
Bregxit
AG
rootube said:

The reason people lost interest in the space program is that there has been a lack of anything to be very excited about as it relates to manned space flight. It's fantastic that we have a US rocket that will return humans to space but if we are being honest this is something we accomplished fifty years ago with a much more ambitious program.

SpaceX and others are also doing things that were said to be impossible 50 years ago. You know, if we're being honest.
Post removed:
by user
rootube
AG
Bregxit said:

rootube said:

SpaceX and others are also doing things that were said to be impossible 50 years ago. You know, if we're being honest.
I expect that there are many things we can do today that were impossible fifty years ago. How many things are impossible today that were possible fifty years ago? Landing a man on the moon is one.
Bregxit
AG
rootube said:

Bregxit said:

rootube said:

I expect that there are many things we can do today that were impossible fifty years ago. How many things are impossible today that were possible fifty years ago? Landing a man on the moon is one.
We'll be back on the moon in four years or so.

Aside from having to learn space flight from scratch, it is a more difficult task today. NASA doesn't have nearly the funding it had during Mercury, Gemini and Apollo. The public is much more risk averse and will not tolerate a poor outcome for crews. There is no space race to galvanize the people to get behind it. Many people will think "Yeah, space! That's cool!" but I doubt there is any national pride behind it and they wouldn't lose sleep if it didn't happen.
Ag_of_08
AG
There's also no space race letting safety concerns get nudged aside.

You're talking about a private company that has the same launch capacity to LEO as the US gov ever had, and more than the Soviets/russians had.

There's a rather large fundamental gap between saying " ome of the largest countries in the world funded a space program" and some weird dude that smokes to much weed got mad when the russians wouldn't sell him decommissioned ICBMs and built his own space program.

rootube
AG
Bregxit said:

rootube said:

Bregxit said:

rootube said:

We'll be back on the moon in four years or so.

Aside from having to learn space flight from scratch, it is a more difficult task today. NASA doesn't have nearly the funding it had during Mercury, Gemini and Apollo. The public is much more risk averse and will not tolerate a poor outcome for crews. There is no space race to galvanize the people to get behind it. Many people will think "Yeah, space! That's cool!" but I doubt there is any national pride behind it and they wouldn't lose sleep if it didn't happen.

So back to the moon. It is not only possible today, but the price point we will do it at was impossible 50 years ago.
Except that it's literally not possible today. And I think you proved my point. Your argument is that spaceflight is more exciting because it's more cost-effective than ever! Why is the media not all over this inexpensive lift revolution. I'm a spaceflight junky and I am thrilled about the current events but you can't complain that there is a muted reaction when you consider the pace of innovation and the overall ambition. There is basically a zero percent chance that there is a human standing on the moon in 4 years. If the impossible happens and there is a human standing on the moon in four years I bet there will be better news coverage.

kyledr04
AG
My son and I were ready to watch. Huge deal. Will try again Saturday
AnScAggie
AG
rootube said:

Bregxit said:

rootub said:

How many things are impossible today that were possible fifty years ago?

SJW, Karen types, and PC is killing what made this country the greatest country earth has ever seen.
AnScAggie
AG
rootube said:

Bregxit said:

rootube said:

SJW, Karen types, and PC is killing what made this country the greatest country earth has ever seen.
BenderRodriguez
AG
jayelbee said:

Oh yeah, you mean like when we landed a man on the moon in 1969?

Post removed:
by user
Ag_of_08
AG
Most of the "worse" facets are nostalgia as well. The mayberry myth is strong today.

We quit caring about the moon because we were told to. I look at my.moms school kids and how incredibly excited they got over yesterday, and the dozen or so other teachers I know that promoted their kids watching it, on top of friends that normally don't give a rats about spaceflight.... all it takes is someone with a passion and good coverage to make people excited.
Ag_of_08
AG
Next attempt will be at 2:22 this afternoon.

They had a wee small issue with their starship test . It will not effect the launch obviously, these vehicles don't even share fuels, much less hardware.

SpaceX is very soviet in their design philosophy with launchers, launch tests till they quit blowing up! It certainly worked with the falcon 9
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'll drink and cheer on anything without sports right now
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.