Outdoors
Sponsored by

Hunting near Red River?

880 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Log
DeBoss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at property along the Red River but wanted to get an idea from folks that hunt along OK what the deer is like. Is it decent or is it a waste of time up there? Looks like there is pretty good cover and plenty of water, so I would think that means deer would be ok. This property is more towards the west end of the Red River.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
SanAntoneAg
AG
What county?
DeBoss
AG
All the way from Hall on the west end to Montague on the east end.
- If you are going to do something stupid, be smart about it.
A.G.S.
AG
No recent experience as it's been more than 2 decades since I hunted up there, but I grew up hunting north of Powderly, TX. Heavily wooded area where we hunted though, right off Pine Creek which feeds into the Red.

When I was there, there was tons of wildlife, some gorgeous deer, and only one neighbor growing weed way back in the woods.

Edit: Nevermind, I was WAY east of you.
powderlyag
AG
I grew up in Powderly and had farm there till last month
powderlyag
cupofjoe04
AG
DeBoss said:

what the deer is like.

I would say the hunting is pretty crappy if there is only 1 deer...
Log
AG
TA being glitchy tonight.
Log
AG
Big deer up there both in body and antlers. There are definite Kansas genes that bleed down in the RR area. We have family land in Cooke County, just east of Montague. We don't have a ton of deer, but I've killed and seen, via trail cam, deer that rival some of the Panhandle bucks I've shot.

Top two bracketing the MD are Cooke deer. Bottom two are Panhandle. The two on the right are the biggest bodied I've killed, and the top one from Cooke was at least as big bodied as the one below him from the Panhandle. That one was a beast, and I had to carry him out.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.