Outdoors
Sponsored by

11 YO Lab Hip Problems

1,478 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bmfvet
Fishing Fools
How long do you want to ignore this user?
She's not a puppy anymore and still thinks she's gonna catch a hovering buzzard someday. If she runs to much, she's can barely stand up at the end of the day.

I've read Bone Broth is a good natural supplement.

Any other recommendations?

TY

FF

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03EkZaqEtqMnKmp-3F9c3hvdg
MouthBQ98
AG
Not sure about hips, but at some point, deteriorating joints or arthritis require a bit of pain medication if the dog still wants to be active.
MrWonderful
AG
Try a meal supplement like missing link. Outside of that a dog that age will need rimadyl probably. When my lab is hurt (seems like every other week) I have him swim more rather than run around. Still wears them out but easier on the joints.
ghollow
AG
Before you start rimadyl (expensive), try giving your dog an aspirin once a day with food. It help our Husky for over a year before we had to switch to rimadyl. She lived to be 13 years old. Check with your vet first of course.
Slamn Sharpe
Dude I hate to break it to you, but you've been raising a bobcat for 11 years
FBG_Ag78
AG
Started my ten year old lab on this a few months back. She has much more get up and go now
3 Toed Pete
AG
Agree on rimadyl. Put my lab on it around age 10 or 11 and she went from starting to struggle getting up off the floor to popping up for a couple more years. It made a huge difference.
halfastros81
AG
I have an 8 yr old Catahoula that has had some intermittent hip problems for 3-4 yrs. We started giving her joint supplements and the problems disappeared. Currently using Milk Bone Good Morning Daily Vitamin treats for healthy joints and those work well and she really likes them. Have used some of the dry bulks joint supplements from Petco and those worked as well.
dr_boogs
AG
Step one - Before you start treatment you should confirm the diagnosis. See your DVM and confirm the hips are really the problem. This can be done w a thorough ortho exam, neuro exam, and xrays of the hips, knees and sometimes spine. Occasionally other diagnostics are needed.

Step two - if truly hips, decide if you want to treat medically or surgically. If medical, use FDA approved treatments that are proven to be safe and efficacious, those are primarily NSAIDs and Adequan. Work with your DVM closely on these. If surgery, options are FHO or a total hip replacement. Those are 2 very different surgeries with different costs risks and outcomes.

Joint supplements may or may not help. Evidence based medicine suggests most don't help, owners are often biased by caregiver effect which is well documented in canine OA literature. Up to 40% of pet owners report improvement when their pet is getting the placebo.

Happy to help, PM me if you'd like.
dubi
AG
ghollow said:

Before you start rimadyl (expensive), try giving your dog an aspirin once a day with food. It help our Husky for over a year before we had to switch to rimadyl. She lived to be 13 years old. Check with your vet first of course.
We gave Rimadyl and Tramadol (split dose) daily. It made a huge difference in the dogs mobility.
BO297
Any Vets want to chime in on this? I have a small spaniel that has hip problems. Vet did not diagnose anything when he was younger but he yelps from time to time. Finally something made him flair up and have major pain. Vet gave him a shot of something (rimadyl sounds familiar, but I am not sure).

He is only 4 now, but for the first time in his life, he acted like a puppy for about 3 months. The shot has now worn off, and he is back to his sluggish self. I want to try Tylenol or aspirin first, but hate to do anything not advised by a vet. He probably weighs 20 pounds.
FrontPorchAg
Rimadyl - think of it as kind of like ibuprofen for dogs
brew82
My daughter has a 12+ year old retriever. He has severe hip pain/problems now. She uses cbd oil, says the dog has responded well to it.
dr_boogs
AG
Read the post 2 above yours. Do not use aspirin, Tylenol is a marginal analgesic in dogs. See your dvm for an exam to get a diagnosis and let them guide treatment.
HoldMyBeer
AG
Agree with the comments about seeing the vet for a diagnosis. Also thought I would pass along something I saw, and you might discuss with the vet. I volunteer with a GSP rescue group and someone posted this....

saltyoldguy
AG
I know its been suggested before, but the vets should have a tag like the medical doctors.
bmfvet
AG
Please don't give aspirin, there are much better, safer anti inflammatory meds for dogs. Proper diagnosis is key as Drboogs said. Weight control and arthritis diets can help as well.
‘99
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.