Outdoors
Sponsored by

Passed CHL qualifier but could barely see front sight

3,474 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TOM-M
DVC2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Once the light is on your target, you can shoot by the silhouette, so the tritium is no worse than plain iron sights.

As for the light, maybe it's just that I have small thumbs, but fiddling with the switch makes me way slower.
BenderRodriguez
AG
TOM-M said:

BenderRodriguez said:

TOM-M said:

Other mileages will vary.

My favorite set up for irons is red fiber optic front, blacked out rear.

I used to just be ambivalent about night sights/tritium, but then I looked at them under NV and now I really hate them.

Would you mind explaining the application and/or scenario leading you to this conclusion, and in context of this thread (handgun front sight)?

I'm drawing blanks in attempts to imagine. Thanks.

I tried to use a handgun with tritium night sights while using a PVS-14.

The bloom from the sights (it had front and rear) made the gun darn near unusable under night vision.

Speaking of in the context of this thread, OP wasn't asking for what to replace his sight with, but how to fix it. But since you brought up other options, I was just mentioning one of the cons I've found personally of one of those other options he didn't ask about.....

TOM-M
BenderRodriguez said:

TOM-M said:

BenderRodriguez said:

TOM-M said:

Other mileages will vary.

My favorite set up for irons is red fiber optic front, blacked out rear.

I used to just be ambivalent about night sights/tritium, but then I looked at them under NV and now I really hate them.

Would you mind explaining the application and/or scenario leading you to this conclusion, and in context of this thread (handgun front sight)?

I'm drawing blanks in attempts to imagine. Thanks.

I tried to use a handgun with tritium night sights while using a PVS-14.

The bloom from the sights (it had front and rear) made the gun darn near unusable under night vision.

Speaking of in the context of this thread, OP wasn't asking for what to replace his sight with, but how to fix it. But since you brought up other options, I was just mentioning one of the cons I've found personally of one of those other options he didn't ask about.....

Gotcha'. And thanks for the reply.

Maybe I need a new PVS14, but focused for target distance beyond the gun and not close, I've never used any kind of handgun sight that was "defineable" in front of NV, just see dark and blurry outlines of my arms/hands/gun...tritium lamps, to me through NV, are halo-'ish specks I have to actually look for. Maybe this explains my wonderings (or nearly 60-yr old eyes? Lol.)

Someday, I'd like to try a NV compatible red dot on a pistol, just can't imagine a cure for the focus issue. I like fixed NV/compatible RD a lot on a rifle.

Actually, the OP initially asked how odd his sight failure was and replacement cost. The thread then quickly moved on to send it back to Sig, fix it yourself, carry extra fiber/Bic lighter, etc. My original post intent was to offer a couple of suggestions for (more reliable, IMO) replacements to an obvious (and old) problem I believe the thread was bearing out (fiber loss/failure) for his front sight. In hindsight, admittedly my bad for participating in the diversion....I'll stand for the internet lashes, whatever those might be.

Take care. Again, thanks for the reply!
Naveronski
AG
I can tell you that pistol red dot under NV is definitely a thing and works.
TOM-M
I'm all ears.
Naveronski
AG
TOM-M said:

I'm all ears.

Spend 10 minutes watching the video. I didn't make it, but I know the guy who did.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Naveronski said:

I can tell you that pistol red dot under NV is definitely a thing and works.

Yep.

Red dot+night vision+tlr vir 2 is the way to go.
TOM-M
Impressive. Definitely has my attention. Thank you.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.