Outdoors
Sponsored by

Passed CHL qualifier but could barely see front sight

3,468 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TOM-M
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When I got home, I noticed why.....Sig P226.....

How odd is it to have the tritium fiber optic insert post come out of the sight?

Any ideas on replacement cost?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Pookers
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

When I got home, I noticed why.....Sig P226.....

How odd is it to have the tritium insert post come out of the sight?

Any ideas on replacement cost?
How new is it? I'd just give Sig a call and see if its under warranty or something. Edited to say I've had to send in an early production P938 with a bad mag cache spring and they fixed it up at no cost. Great customer service.
Strongweasel97
AG
Pretty odd.

I too am betting they'lltake care of you, call and get an RMA. You'll have to send slide only. And from experiences, they've got a pretty good turnaround time usually.
Aggieangler93
AG
I bought it used, so I am not sure what age it is. I have had it for at least 10 years. It's been about 6 months since I shot it (fractured my elbow), so I am not sure when it fell out. Surely I would have noticed it last time I shot it, as I was outside in the sun.

When you sent yours in for repair, did you have to send it to New Hampshire or Germany?
Aggieangler93
AG
Looking at their website, it looks like this was a fiber optic site, using the part number. Thanks for the advice. If they normally have quick turnaround times, I will send it off to them and let their gunsmiths deal with it.

I wish I could find a P226 in .40 to have as a backup while I send this one off.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Super easy to replace fiber optic. No need to send it off.

Ive seen people do it at a match between stages.

Should be able to find a tutorial on youtube.
BenderRodriguez
AG
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/2/9/how-to-quickly-and-easily-repair-your-fiber-optic-sight/
jabberwalkie09
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Super easy to replace fiber optic. No need to send it off.

Ive seen people do it at a match between stages.

Should be able to find a tutorial on youtube.

These truglo sights are not as easy to remedy as a typical Dawson or Manny sight since only one side of the sight is open, and I've seen a guy's fail multiple times. But this is why I carry fiber inserts in my bag with a butane lights as well.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Insert rod, mark depth it goes in, cut, melt?

Still shouldn't need to send it off.
Aggieangler93
AG
Thanks, Bender. If this was something else besides a gun, I would have already started looking at how to fix it myself. Just needed a little encouragement....

Looks like it is really simple provided I can find some fiber optic replacements locally. Should be doable!
Strongweasel97
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Looking at their website, it looks like this was a fiber optic site, using the part number. Thanks for the advice. If they normally have quick turnaround times, I will send it off to them and let their gunsmiths deal with it.

I wish I could find a P226 in .40 to have as a backup while I send this one off.

Not odd at all then. I thought maybe it was a combo fiber/tritium from your description. Benders got you on the right track. You'll do this a few times over the years.
jabberwalkie09
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Insert rod, mark depth it goes in, cut, melt?

Still shouldn't need to send it off.

Generally on the front sights I use, I make a big bulb of fiber on the muzzle end and the rear is counter sunk so I can effectively lock it in place. That's not been my experience with the truglo sights, which makes them more prone to failure.

Ymmv I guess.
Aggieangler93
AG
Looks like my main issue now is going to be figuring out what diameter replacement fiber optic rod to order, unless I can find some here in town tomorrow at lunch.
BenderRodriguez
AG
If you cant find local, brownells, amazon etc should all have them.

Losing a fiber optic isnt fun but it could be worse. Ive seen front sights come off completely or even worse, get loose and wiggle around....
Aggieangler93
AG
Thanks, as usual, fellas.

Thinking back, my first 5 shots were centered in the 10 ring today, and then the sight picture got fuzzy on me and I started drifting up and down some. I thought it was the adrenaline, and some probably was, but I bet it happened when the barrel heated up and due to the timed nature of the qualification exam I didn't notice.

I am not used to shooting such a large spread, and at least that explains why I didn't shoot better, as I would have expected.
Pookers
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Thanks, as usual, fellas.

Thinking back, my first 5 shots were centered in the 10 ring today, and then the sight picture got fuzzy on me and I started drifting up and down some. I thought it was the adrenaline, and some probably was, but I bet it happened when the barrel heated up and due to the timed nature of the qualification exam I didn't notice.

I am not used to shooting such a large spread, and at least that explains why I didn't shoot better, as I would have expected.
I'd still give Sig a call and see if they will RMA it. It probably took a week to send my gun off and get it back from them. They go to Exeter NH I believe.

If Sig isn't able to remedy the situation for you or you opt to fix it yourself I have a good friend who works at Truglo whom I could ask what you need specifically and the best approach to fix it. My friends probably fixed many a tritium site in his day.
Cromagnum
AG
Fiber optic sites are cheap to replace. Buy you like a foot of red or green (or both) for less than 30-40 bucks. Cut a piece to length and melt it slightly to a mushroom head on one end and shove the skinny end through the site guide. Then melt the other end. Done.
Pookers
AG
Cromagnum said:

Fiber optic sites are cheap to replace. Buy you like a foot of red or green (or both) for less than 30-40 bucks. Cut a piece to length and melt it slightly to a mushroom head on one end and shove the skinny end through the site guide. Then melt the other end. Done.
I actually didn't catch that it was a fiber optic only. That changes things a little bit as you don't have to deal with Tritium.

Aggieangler93 - Follow up with Sig and I'm sure they will make it right. If not, I can see if my Truglo contact has any advice or spare fiber laying around he could spare.
cuz-i-can
AG
Just curious? Have you never shot on iron sights on this gun in case this exact thing happens?
TOM-M
Perfect opportunity to push the glow worm holder out and replace with either a gold bead or Trijicon.

Other mileages will vary.
Naveronski
AG
At this point, you're best off just milling it and installing a RMR.
Aggieangler93
AG
These are the iron sights. Did you not see the picture in my first post?
DatTallArchitect
AG
Is the front sight the only one with fiber optics? I ask because I run mine with a red in the front sight and green in the rear sights. I love it setup this way, but know people that prefer the rear blacked out. If the rear has fiber optics, this would be a great opportunity to change the color of the front sight.
BenderRodriguez
AG
cuz-i-can said:

Just curious? Have you never shot on iron sights on this gun in case this exact thing happens?

Uh, what?
BenderRodriguez
AG
TOM-M said:

My favorite set up for irons is red fiber optic front, blacked out rear.

I used to just be ambivalent about night sights/tritium, but then I looked at them under NV and now I really hate them.
DatTallArchitect
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

I used to just be ambivalent about night sights/tritium, but then I looked at them under NV and now I really hate them.

When I took a low light shooting course, all of the guys with tritium/night sights were pissed that they bought them. They felt like they were sold snake oil. Those with fiber optics were the only ones that excelled. When guys turned on their lights, the tritium became useless. Since you will want to see what/who you are shooting at, you will want there to be some light. This is where fiber optics shine.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Naveronski said:

At this point, you're best off just milling it and installing a RMR.
correct answer

schmellba99
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

If you cant find local, brownells, amazon etc should all have them.

Losing a fiber optic isnt fun but it could be worse. Ive seen front sights come off completely or even worse, get loose and wiggle around....
Happened on my first 1911 (still hope the chollo that stole it is offing other chollos with it) when I was shooting one time out in BFE west of Phoenix.

Ended up driving out to the shooting area about 1am, luckily there was a new moon going so it was good and dark. After about 10 minutes of letting my eyes adjust - boom, there was the sight post in the dirt. Guy who set it for me didn't peen it enough and it popped right out.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I shot a low light class and a guy who had been shooting well all day wasnt hitting for crap at night.

Kept thinking it was him until he went inside to examine the gun. The front sight had drifted. He was lining things up perfectly, but wasnt hitting and couldnt see in the dark that the front sight had moved.

Id almost take a completely broken one over one that shifted I didnt know about.
cuz-i-can
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

These are the iron sights. Did you not see the picture in my first post?

I'm sorry, my question should've been... do you use your fiber optics and line up the "dots" or have you ever tried lining up the old school iron sights just in case the fiber optic got lost somehow?
TOM-M
BenderRodriguez said:

TOM-M said:

Would you mind explaining the application and/or scenario leading you to this conclusion, and in context of this thread (handgun front sight)?

I'm drawing blanks in attempts to imagine. Thanks.
DatTallArchitect
AG
TOM-M said:

BenderRodriguez said:

TOM-M said:

Would you mind explaining the application and/or scenario leading you to this conclusion, and in context of this thread (handgun front sight)?

I would imagine by NV he is referring to night time scenarios, not night vision optics. From my experience, if you have enough light to identify your target, the tritium/night sights don't work. They are only good at helping you know where your sights are when it is too dark to see something, which isn't really much of a benefit.

I would be curious if anyone has taken a low light course or had to use their pistol in low light conditions with tritium sights and still like them. I've not met anyone yet that has. I could see it if they had fiber optics with the tritium ring around the fiber optic.
DVC2010
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

TOM-M said:

BenderRodriguez said:

TOM-M said:

I would imagine by NV he is referring to night time scenarios, not night vision optics. From my experience, if you have enough light to identify your target, the tritium/night sights don't work. They are only good at helping you know where your sights are when it is too dark to see something, which isn't really much of a benefit.

I would be curious if anyone has taken a low light course or had to use their pistol in low light conditions with tritium sights and still like them. I've not met anyone yet that has. I could see it if they had fiber optics with the tritium ring around the fiber optic.

Here. It's been a few years, and "hey neat, I can see my sights" was so far down the list of what had my attention, but one of the important ideas was intermittent use of light. If I'm using a handheld or weapon-mounted light, it's not going to be on very often. I like to see my sights even when the light is off.

Incidentally, that class was pretty much the end of pistol-mounted lights for me.
Naveronski
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

TOM-M said:

BenderRodriguez said:

TOM-M said:

I would imagine by NV, he is referring to night vision, either monocle or bino's. From my experience, anything designed to "glow" lights up like a beacon under green screen.

Further, with a weapon mounted light (and no night vision), tritium sights become lost and useless, backlit by your light.
DatTallArchitect
AG
DVC2010 said:

DatTallArchitect said:

TOM-M said:

BenderRodriguez said:

TOM-M said:

Here. It's been a few years, and "hey neat, I can see my sights" was so far down the list of what had my attention, but one of the important ideas was intermittent use of light. If I'm using a handheld or weapon-mounted light, it's not going to be on very often. I like to see my sights even when the light is off.

Incidentally, that class was pretty much the end of pistol-mounted lights for me.
While I agree with most of what you said, the #1 time you want to use your sights is when you are aiming at your target. Since you want to see your target when you pull the trigger, this puts straight tritium sights at a disadvantage. I'd love to test some of the fiber optic sights with a tritium ring for the reasons you just mentioned.

I agree fully that a good flashlight is better than a weapon mounted light, if you are just going to have one. However, having a good weapon mounted light in addition to a good handheld flashlight can certainly have it's advantages as a secondary light for certain situations.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.