Outdoors
Sponsored by

Before There Were AKs and ARs

2,192 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GSS
UTExan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
...there was the Remington Model 8 Semiauto rifle; one of John Browning's ingenious firearms designs actually used by allies during WW1 and it became a law enforcement favorite as well. Watch this short video for the functioning. I have to admit I am very taken with what the old time gun designers did with very limited resources:
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Strongweasel97
AG
Got a great specimen in 35Rem "Ca-chunk, Ca-chunk" is the best way to describe the sound when firing it. That long recoil soaks up the round very nicely. Also have it's predecessor (Model 81) in 300 Savage, but it loses some of its charm in that caliber.
highvelocity
AG
John Browning the GOAT
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
UTExan
Strongweasel97 said:

Got a great specimen in 35Rem "Ca-chunk, Ca-chunk" is the best way to describe the sound when firing it. That long recoil soaks up the round very nicely. Also have it's predecessor (Model 81) in 300 Savage, but it loses some of its charm in that caliber.
Keep that thing as long as you can. That is a great family heirloom.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
BenderRodriguez
AG
AK folks will find that safety lever familiar.

The early semis were interesting, lots of failed but interesting designs along the way.
cledus6150
AG
Always thought they where very interesting rifles, also loved the advertising for them. I have the below tin above my reloading desk.

rab79
AG
very reminiscent of the model 11 shotgun.
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
FrontPorchAg
cledus6150 said:

Always thought they where very interesting rifles, also loved the advertising for them. I have the below tin above my reloading desk.

I've seen that old ad I don't know how many times, and never knew what rifle was in the picture.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
CS78
They're cool. But they're not Winchester 1907 or 1910 with 20 round mags, cool.
UTExan
CS78 said:

They're cool. But they're not Winchester 1907 or 1910 with 20 round mags, cool.

That was another blowback rifle design which competed with the Remington. It was also purchased by allies in small numbers. I understand the recoil is pretty tough. Ian McCullum of Forgotten Weapons has a video of him shooting the Remington in .25 Remington caliber, which is probably a good deal more comfortable than the .35. He says in that video that he owns the Remington 8 in .30 Remington (the parent case for 6.8 SPC) and the recoil is not excessive for him.
CS78
UTExan said:

That was another blowback rifle design which competed with the Remington. It was also purchased by allies in small numbers. I understand the recoil is pretty tough. Ian McCullum of Forgotten Weapons has a video of him shooting the Remington in .25 Remington caliber, which is probably a good deal more comfortable than the .35. He says in that video that he owns the Remington 8 in .30 Remington (the parent case for 6.8 SPC) and the recoil is not excessive for him.
Ive heard the recoil is stout on them but never shot one. I was convinced I had to have one after watching Eli McCullough carry one around on "The Son". Picked one up at collectors firearms and it was a brick. MUCH heavier than expected. It kind of fell down the list after that but Id still like to have one for the right price. Ive also been keeping an eye out for a Remington 8 in 35 in hunting condition but they always go for a little more than Id like to pay or they've been beat pretty hard.

From what Ive seen, none of the Remington rimless cartridges have too much recoil. Popped this doe last season with a pump 14 in 32 Remington. Lots of fun hunting with the old guns. It adds a nice challenge too. This season, Im going to challenge myself to get a doe with one of the old guns while still hunting. No feeder, no blind.

jeremy360
Model 8 used to get Bonnie and Clyde.

https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjulia/item/lot-1170-historic-remington-model-8-rifle-used-to-kill-bonnie-and-clyde-57943/
Eliminatus
AG
Oh wow, never knew they were also take downs.

Such a cool rifle.
GSS
I have the family's Mod 8, in 30 Rem. Second year production (1907), first year for the 30 Rem.
Used by my grandfather for many years, owned by my great-uncle. Last year turned over to me for family safe-keeping.
Has a (if I recall correctly) Tyler TX made offset scope mount, with a vintage 4x scope.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
highvelocity said:

John Browning the GOAT
But terrible trigger discipline!
CS78
GSS said:

I have the family's Mod 8, in 30 Rem. Second year production (1907), first year for the 30 Rem.
Used by my grandfather for many years, owned by my great-uncle. Last year turned over to me for family safe-keeping.
Has a (if I recall correctly) Tyler TX made offset scope mount, with a vintage 4x scope.
Would love to see some pics if you'd like.

Quality ammo and brass if you need it.

https://shop.reedsammo.com/30-Remington_c32.htm
UTExan
GSS said:

Pics, please!! We love vintage firearms on this board, especially family legacies.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
Oh my goodness! Assault rifles! Ban those things!
GSS
I was given several boxes of 1x fired brass, but dies ate ridiculous ($$). So I got some of the ammo from Reeds (along with some 38-55 for an old 1895).
My elderly cousin still has a Mod 14(?) pump in 30Rem, and had me buy him a couple boxes from Reeds. Should be the last he ever had to buy.

I'll plan on some pics.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.