Outdoors
Sponsored by

RV destinations during Summer 2020

4,121 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yesterday
Todd 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you were gonna spend a week in the family RV, where would you go?

Requirements:
Kid friendly - ours are 8, 5, and 10 months.
Cell service and internet access - wife and I are working remotely and will put in a few hours a day.
Let's keep it within two days drive, say 1,000 miles, of home (near Lubbock).

My first thought was Rapid City, SD. That would give us access to Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Custer State Park, and Badlands National Park.

There's probably options in Colorado, but I've read where some of the resort towns are closed down to tourists.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Lubbock to
Thermopolis Hot Springs, Hot Springs County, Wyoming, then to
Yellowstone National Park, then to
Custer Battlefield Museum, then to
Mount Rushmore National Memorial

2384 round trip miles

Have fun!
Chief77
AG
The trip you sketched out is great. But don't miss Crazy Horse close to Mt. Rushmore. FYI all four presidents heads could be on Crazy Horses forehead. Also Colorado RV Parks are open now. We have been all over Southern Colorado feel free to call and I can tell you more. 817/917-3203
Ragoo
AG
Red river, Nm
Bring 4x4 and bicycles
cohibasymas
AG
Ouray, CO - visit Silverton and Telluride while you're there. Drive the Million Dollar Highway a few dozen times. Rent a Jeep and do Yankee Boy Basin and Last Dollar. Enjoy one of the most incredibly beautiful places in the US. We're headed there mid-July and will be there through October. We were introduced to the area a couple years back and now can't get enough.
Ragoo
AG
You are full timers right? How is that? Kids?
johnrth
If you've ever wanted to go to Yellowstone, this is probably the yr to do it. I have a strong feeling the visitor numbers will be a helluva lot lower than normal because of the virus.

Just go through the park on the weekends because iirc cell service is pretty non-existent in the park.
Post removed:
by user
cohibasymas
AG
Ragoo said:

We're about 3.5 years in and love it. No kids, although we know plenty of full time families with kids of all ages. We both work full-time so lead normal lives during the week but get to do so from places we love. We've actually been in an AirBnB in WA since Thanksgiving and due to COVID had to stay in it much longer than planned. Can't wait to get back out on the road.

The lifestyle isn't without challenges. Something is always broken. Internet and phone service can be spotty even with all the gadgets/boosters/etc. But we have no plans to go back to sticks and bricks anytime soon. I think eventually we'll find a place near Ouray to stay in a few months out of the year and travel the rest of the time.
PPlayboy87
AG
(Don't mean to hijack your thread, so I hope it doesn't come across that way.)

I've been considering purchasing a Class C for some time now. I'd like to rent one first because it's been a very long time since I used one and want to make sure I really want it. With that in mind:

1. Looking for recommendations on a place fairly close to D/FW for a short trip. Maybe OK or AR somewhere?

2. Looking for recommendations on a good place to rent one in D/FW.

TIA!
Chief77
AG
You can rent at United RV in Fort Worth.
AgRyan04
I was listening to an RV podcast over the weekend and they said that RVShare's rentals are up 800-1,000%. RV sales are also through the roof....particularly drivables (which is against historic industry trends). That makes sense if that people who generally have not been looking to get into RVing are jumping in and are not comfortable towing.

They also said that fall campground reservations across the country are booking up much earlier than normal.

Really interesting from a human behavior standpoint

All of the RV social media groups that I am a part of have been absolutely flooded with either "Hey we just bought our first RV what do we need to know" or "We're looking to buy a Jayco XYZ, anyone have any experience" type topics.

Now, maybe that is driven by people wanting to stay closer to home but I really think there are going to be surges at all of the big National Parks.

The only way I can see the parks being less crowded is if they are physically turning people away this year....which means it will be more difficult to get entry in the first place.

Zion for example, is only allowing X number of visitors in at a time and had to close entry at 6:36am on Sunday. The Grand Canyon was open for the weekend but announced last night that they are re-closing this week and will update if they will reopen for the weekend.

Its kinda crazy.
AgRyan04
RVShare and Outdoorsy are the two big online rental sites that I'm familiar with
MouthBQ98
AG
Did last year. It is very nice for a shorter range Rockies trip. There's some good 4x4 trails up to local lakes if you have a 4x4 with a decent turn radius and better than factory clearance.
PPlayboy87
AG
Thanks, all.

I looked at travel trailers which I intended to two behind my Tundra, but I bought a TJ last year and have been working on it. Figure that would be a good toad, as well as give me something to do while camping. I probably waited too late and now they'll be more expensive. Just my luck. haha
Post removed:
by user
FSGuide
Molas Lake near Silverton, CO. It's actually administered by the city silverton, good easy hiking around the lake for young kids. We were there in Mid-August. Woke up and it was 45 degrees outside. Deer all around us.
mpl35
AG
Todd 02 said:

If you were gonna spend a week in the family RV, where would you go?

Requirements:
Kid friendly - ours are 8, 5, and 10 months.
Cell service and internet access - wife and I are working remotely and will put in a few hours a day.
Let's keep it within two days drive, say 1,000 miles, of home (near Lubbock).

My first thought was Rapid City, SD. That would give us access to Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Custer State Park, and Badlands National Park.

There's probably options in Colorado, but I've read where some of the resort towns are closed down to tourists.

Black hills SD also has wind cave NP, jewel cave NM, mammoth dig. Love that area.
cohibasymas
AG
FSGuide said:

Molas Lake near Silverton, CO. It's actually administered by the city silverton, good easy hiking around the lake for young kids. We were there in Mid-August. Woke up and it was 45 degrees outside. Deer all around us.

Molas Lake is stunning. Great recommendation. But at least with Verizon your cell and 4G internet may be limited (mine was last summer).
Saltwater Assassin
AG
cohibasymas said:

Ragoo said:

We're about 3.5 years in and love it. No kids, although we know plenty of full time families with kids of all ages. We both work full-time so lead normal lives during the week but get to do so from places we love. We've actually been in an AirBnB in WA since Thanksgiving and due to COVID had to stay in it much longer than planned. Can't wait to get back out on the road.

The lifestyle isn't without challenges. Something is always broken. Internet and phone service can be spotty even with all the gadgets/boosters/etc. But we have no plans to go back to sticks and bricks anytime soon. I think eventually we'll find a place near Ouray to stay in a few months out of the year and travel the rest of the time.

I find this absolutely fascinating, good for you for doing it!

Are yall in a class a or fifth wheel?
cohibasymas
AG
PPlayboy87 said:

Thanks, all.

I looked at travel trailers which I intended to two behind my Tundra, but I bought a TJ last year and have been working on it. Figure that would be a good toad, as well as give me something to do while camping. I probably waited too late and now they'll be more expensive. Just my luck. haha

A Wrangler is an excellent toad. We tow a 99 TJ and that works well with Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar and RVI brake. I think I've come to the conclusion that towing a Jeep is one of the only reasons to have a motor home vs trailer. Our next rig will be 1 ton truck and 5th wheel.
cohibasymas
AG
Thank you we're incredibly blessed to travel this young. We're in a 34' gas A.

We've talked other families/people through some of the challenges of moving to full-timing so please reach out if you ever want to talk.
Ragoo
AG
cohibasymas said:

PPlayboy87 said:

Thanks, all.

A Wrangler is an excellent toad. We tow a 99 TJ and that works well with Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar and RVI brake. I think I've come to the conclusion that towing a Jeep is one of the only reasons to have a motor home vs trailer. Our next rig will be 1 ton truck and 5th wheel.
wife really wants an RV. We also very recently came into possession of an '83 CJ5. I am trying to direct her attention to a motor home for the very reason of towing said jeep.
cohibasymas
AG
Cool idea. If you already have a truck, would be worth comparing a cab-over-camper for your truck and pull the Jeep behind that vs a motor home, especially depending on what type of camping you want to do. Could also tow a boat behind you with that setup instead of a Jeep if that were ever of interest.
Saltwater Assassin
AG
cohibasymas said:

PPlayboy87 said:

Thanks, all.

Outstanding! I love the RV life; i travelled for work for many years & lived in a 5th wheel when i was single, loved it!

Ill have to live vicariously through you for now, my work keeps me very close to home these days.

Safe travels!
Ragoo
AG
cohibasymas said:

Cool idea. If you already have a truck, would be worth comparing a cab-over-camper for your truck and pull the Jeep behind that vs a motor home, especially depending on what type of camping you want to do. Could also tow a boat behind you with that setup instead of a Jeep if that were ever of interest.
yeah. That is the other thing. Have the boat and would like to camp at scenic Texas lakes or surrounding states. I would like a roof top tent for that. Thinking RV to meet her folks in Tennessee or New Mexico more mountain type locations.

Edit: we have 4, with twins almost age 4.
mpl35
AG
I don't need exact details (and sorry OP for the derail) but can you outline where all you have gone?
Saltwater Assassin
AG
mpl35 said:

I don't need exact details (and sorry OP for the derail) but can you outline where all you have gone?

Id be in on this too

Hell id follow a blog/thread about your adventures if you had one.
Ragoo
AG
Saltwater Assassin said:

mpl35 said:

Id be in on this too

Hell id follow a blog/thread about your adventures if you had one.
absolutely!
cohibasymas
AG
Thanks guys. I'll try to start a thread tomorrow with some pics and stop hijacking the OP's thread (genuine apology Op).

Here's a video my wife Glenda made of our trip to Smokey Mountain NP last year

Caladan
PPlayboy87 said:

(Don't mean to hijack your thread, so I hope it doesn't come across that way.)

I've been considering purchasing a Class C for some time now. I'd like to rent one first because it's been a very long time since I used one and want to make sure I really want it. With that in mind:

1. Looking for recommendations on a place fairly close to D/FW for a short trip. Maybe OK or AR somewhere?

2. Looking for recommendations on a good place to rent one in D/FW.

TIA!
1. Either go west, eventually ending up at Caprock and Palo Duro State Parks, or go east to AR and do Crater of Diamonds, Lake Ouachita, Devil's Den, and Petit Jean State Parks. These parks fill completely during the summer, so don't just show up during the summer and expect to get to get a campsite. If you go in January, you can just show up. Just be prepared to be iced in place for a few days.

2. Can't help you with #2.

C
Todd 02
AG
No worries on derailing the thread. I'm interested and genuinely jealous of the full timers.

Thought I'd report that we're going to start small and go to Red River for a week. I'm familiar with the area and campground. If it's successful, we'll plan a bigger trip. If not, it's a quicker ride home.
Ragoo
AG
Todd 02 said:

No worries on derailing the thread. I'm interested and genuinely jealous of the full timers.

Thought I'd report that we're going to start small and go to Red River for a week. I'm familiar with the area and campground. If it's successful, we'll plan a bigger trip. If not, it's a quicker ride home.
congrats. I am jealous. Miss that area. Spent 7 summers there last week in June thru first week in July.
cohibasymas
AG
That's a great idea. Hope you guys have a blast and trip goes smoothly.
El Chupacabra
johnrth said:

If you've ever wanted to go to Yellowstone, this is probably the yr to do it. I have a strong feeling the visitor numbers will be a helluva lot lower than normal because of the virus.

Just go through the park on the weekends because iirc cell service is pretty non-existent in the park.

I would agree. Especially without all of our Asian friends coming to visit.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.