Outdoors
Sponsored by

House Building Tips

15,211 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Rice and Fries
Nagler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to be having a house built in the somewhat near future, starting the process now.

Any tips, suggestions, things to avoid, things you wish you would've done differently, things to tell the builders, etc?

I realize this isn't the most "outdoors" topic (although the house will be outside) but I trust this board more than others so I figured I'd give it a shot and see if there is any knowledge to be gained here.
watty
AG
We're building right now and are pretty early in the process so I'll be watching this too, but here's a fun one that just came up today.

If you're having to follow an HOA's restrictive covenants, make sure the covenants you receive when you buy the lot match the covenants that the architectural review is using. Turns out, ours didn't. The covenants we were going off of said nothing about roof pitch or garages, but after submitting our drawings, turns out we have to change our roof pitch (minor problem) and move our garages (major problem). All because the HOA didn't have consistent documentation.
malenurse
AG
Obligatory -

It will take twice as long and cost twice as much
PFG
AG
Save money for landscaping. Real landscaping. Not the builder "one tree here and three foundation bushes plus some crappy grass" landscaping.
schmellba99
AG
Need more details - custom on your land, semi custom in a neighborhood, etc.? What is the builder willing to work with you on, what are they not?

For me, and I'm a contractor by trade so I come in with a really different outlook on things:

1. Foundation. Spend the money on a good soils report and engineering on your foundation. Excavate out, bring in select fill and have them actually compact it. Pay a lab to do field densities. Code only calls for I think 80% or 85% density, which is just about what you get when you slap a mound of select fill with a shovel. 95% is generally our minimum, sometimes we have to get as high as 97%-98%. Makes a world of difference on how good your slab will be.

2. Concrete. Use 4000# mix, have a tech on site to make sure the slump is right, the water is right and that you aren't getting old reject concrete from somewhere else. Don't let the contractor add a crapload of water as they are placing it - it makes it easier to work, but gives you a lower quality product. Make sure they vibrate it in so you have good consolidation and a homogenous foundation.

3. When the framing is done, walk around on the outside and anywhere you say to yourself "I'll never need a hose bib here" - put a freaking hose bib there. Most homes have all of 2, and they are never in a place that is actually convenient. Ever.

4. Put a soft water/water filtration loop in while you are building. It is stupid easy to do when you are framing, an abject pain in the ass to do after.

5. Pay your electrician to number or label your circuits in the electrical boxes, and make sure they do a really good job labeling your breaker box. It will make life a billion times easier in 10 years when you are trying to figure out what breaker you need to flip to kill the outlet you need to work on.

6. Take pictures before the sheetrock goes up of each room, measure where pipes or electrical lines are. Make a quick sketch or mark up digital photos with dimensions. You will love yourself later.

7. Insulate the master bedroom and all bathroom walls. You arent' worried about thermal, but the sound dampening will be very much appreciated.

8. Things like laundry rooms need to be way bigger than you intially think. Nobody ever says "man, my laundry room is just too big and all of this room to do things is awful". But they do say, with regularity, how awful it is when they are too small.

9. Make sure your garage is deep enough for the vehicle you intend to drive. My garage is 3 cars wide, but whomever designed it must have thought that 2 door smart cars were the only thing that would ever be parked in there - it is way too shallow and it sucks to not really be able to put a full sized vehicle in it as a result.

10. Put expansion joints in exterior piping where it goes into or under the slab

11. Don't ***** about the paint colors, let your wife pick that out. Smile and tell her she did a great job. You'll be painting over it again in 5 years whenever Joanna goes with a new style anyway.
malenurse
AG
watty said:

We're building right now and are pretty early in the process so I'll be watching this too, but here's a fun one that just came up today.

If you're having to follow an HOA's restrictive covenants, make sure the covenants you receive when you buy the lot match the covenants that the architectural review is using. Turns out, ours didn't. The covenants we were going off of said nothing about roof pitch or garages, but after submitting our drawings, turns out we have to change our roof pitch (minor problem) and move our garages (major problem). All because the HOA didn't have consistent documentation.
To add to that, a large neighborhood may have multiple HOAs. And, even then, each HOA may have different covenants in their HOA by sections.

And the HOA's are very proud of their covenants based on how much they charge to give you a copy.
H-Town Ag 00
AG
I second Shmellbaa99's #6. I took a video 5 years ago the day before drywall of every room, every wall, every pipe, and every wire. I've had to go back and look at them at least 15 times. I thank that friend on a regular basis for it, and that's my 1 recommendation I make anytime someone is building.
BlueSmoke
We went with a builder in a subdivision, so a "light build". Friend in Gunter hired an architect and started from scratch. Two VERY different experiences.

Things I wish we'd done:

1. Three car garage minimum. We have two bay doors and that *&^&%^$^% strip of brick separating them is a PITA. If you go two, get one big door.
2. Outdoor lighting - coming home late, etc, I hate a dark house. The built in lights on the exterior, both on the walls and in the ground that illuminate the hose really make it stand out and help you have better visibility on the property
3. Dedicated freezer switch in the garage. I can't tell you how many times we tripped a switch in the garage tied to a fridge or freezer. Get a dedicated line.
4. If you are not going to start with a pool or outdoor kitchen, at the very least extend the back patio as far out as you can manage. When we built it was about an extra $1K/foot and we went out another 3-4ft, I think?
5. Stone fireplace - the white builder ones, I hate those
6. Tankless water heater
7. Super wish list: mud room with a dog washing station. Saw this on Fixer Upper. Raised, mini shower with a wand for washing dogs. God, I'd like to have that.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Wow schmellba,

That is a great list. I just build a custom home and what you say is so true. I did everything on your list, and I don't regret any of it.

I have a few to add.

1. Put blocking everywhere you want a towel bar, towel ring, robe hook, or toilet paper holder.

2. Make the pantry large enough to have a freezer or 2nd fridge. I hate having that in the garage.

3. Spend time on the plans to get them right. Change orders stink. They slow you down, cost more than you think they should, and make the contractor less than they should. Nobody wins.

4. As for a mudroom, we built a large laundry room between the back porch and the garage. We also have a bathroom off of it. It is great when you have been working outside to have a shower without going through the clean house.
Beckdiesel03
AG
These are all good points. Especially with going through the plans and making changes BEFORE. I work for a builder and so many people get way too excited to get started and then are upset with Change Orders. Take your time and go over and over and over the plans. Also if you can ask your builder or CM for his opinions. If you have a friend in construction ask his/hers. They see this stuff every day and the architects aren't always the best with how things work in real life or the field. I see the indoor dog baths all the time and while I think they are great , all I think about is how 3 wet labs would still smell in my house. My mom has a sink in her garage so we run a hose to it with warm water and it makes winter baths so much easier and I don't have wet dogs inside . Do not go less than 3 car garages and make sure they are long enough not just "standard".
jellycheese
AG
If you're able to spec everything, it may be obvious but spend some time looking through the different options and their pros and cons. For example:

Plumbing - Your water supply lines are probably going to be pex but look into the differences between using a standard trunk and branch system and going with something like the Viega ManaBloc. You may have a preference.

Insulation - Fiberglass vs open cell foam vs closed cell foam vs Zip. Conditioned attic?

AGGIE WH08P
AG
I literally have a contact card in my phone for "Home" and save various crap in the notes section. I have added these in the notes over the years.

Next House Wish List:
-sink in laundry room
-drain in laundry room floor.
- over sized laundry room for deep freezer and possibly gun safe
-over sized closet in office for hunting gear and possibly gun safe
-sink in garage
-garage floors painted/epoxy coating.
-drain line in floor of garage
-larger work space on the side of the garage when vehicles are parked inside.
-deep garage for truck (my 5.5' bed on my ford barely fits)
-water spigot next to garage door (think cleaning ice chest)
-hot water spigot next to garage (might not be as important if I have sink with hot water in garage)
- Insulated garage walls, ceiling and garage door
-hot water loop. Continuous hot water
-minimize west facing windows
-walk in safe room
-Cat5 Ethernet cable outdoors around the house. For future use of security camera. Think of where you want them beforehand.
-HVAC - don't let the HVAC contractor run flex duct everywhere. I hate that stuff, it's the lazy way of doing things. Use rigid insulated ducts for your main runs with minimal flex duct going to registers. (Stole this last one from someone else).
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I have said this before, but pay attention to prevailing winds and choose which way your home sits accordingly, if you can. My front door faces straight south and blocks all the breeze making the backyard insanely hot. Hot to a point it is unusable for 4 months. If you have the ability to choose, think about more than just approach from the street.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Tagging this thread. Great info so far.
cavscout96
AG
schmellba99 said:

Need more details - custom on your land, semi custom in a neighborhood, etc.? What is the builder willing to work with you on, what are they not?

For me, and I'm a contractor by trade so I come in with a really different outlook on things:

3. When the framing is done, walk around on the outside and anywhere you say to yourself "I'll never need a hose bib here" - put a freaking hose bib there. Most homes have all of 2, and they are never in a place that is actually convenient. Ever.

5. Pay your electrician to number or label your circuits in the electrical boxes, and make sure they do a really good job labeling your breaker box. It will make life a billion times easier in 10 years when you are trying to figure out what breaker you need to flip to kill the outlet you need to work on.

6. Take pictures before the sheetrock goes up of each room, measure where pipes or electrical lines are. Make a quick sketch or mark up digital photos with dimensions. You will love yourself later.

7. Insulate the master bedroom and all bathroom walls. You arent' worried about thermal, but the sound dampening will be very much appreciated.

^ x10
Mission Ranch AG
AG
There are some excellent suggestions in the previous posits. We are about four months into the construction process.

1) get soil tests done and have your slab engineered.

2) before you sign your contract with the builder, look closely at all your allowances and determine if you can buy these items for close to that amount. If not, you will see some big dollar change orders once you start construction.

3) include a safe room in your plans. Hope I never have to use mine but I use it once and it saves my life, it will be worth the cost. If you install a safe room, ensure it has an A/C supply and return vent that will shut down due to heat.

4) add a generator. Much easier to add it during construction.

5) add a whole home water purification system. If you add this system, run a separate water supply line for your hose bibs. You don't need to purify the water for the bushes and it will extend the life of the filter.

6) if you are going to have an extra freezer in the house/garage, add an ice maker line.

7) if you have anyone in your family or guests that come to visit, ensure doors, thresholds, switches, Etc. are ADA compliant.

8 insulate all Bedroom/bathroom walls that are common to the public areas in the house. Insulate the garage and install an insulated garage door.

9) if you have a shop, install a small A/C or mini split. Do not run the house air into the shop. If you do, you could have any fumes from chemicals you use in the shop flow into the house.

10) on your patios and porches, look into having tongue and groove wood on the ceiling.

11) Install a steam shower in the master bath.

12) look at installing a Lutron lighting system.

13) look into installing a Control 4 audio/video system.

14 ) if you are installing composition shingles, install Class 4 shingles. They will cost a little more up front, but they will save you 20-25% per year on your homeowners insurance.

15) install a tankless water heater that has a hot water circulating pump. This will ensure your have instant hot water throughout the house.

Good luck!!!
Mission Ranch AG
AG
A few more items.

1) install outlets in your eaves for holiday decorations.

2) if you have a shop, install 2-3 outlets on separate circuits.

3) depending on your vehicles, install an 8 ft garage door with an upgraded opener.

4) look into the Todo toilets.

5) wire for up lighting and downlighting on the house..

6 wire for security cameras. Ensure your security system has motion detectors and glass break sensors and more than one keypad. Depending on the layout of the house you may want 2-3 keypads. If your builder installs a security package, understand what they install and determine the cost to add all the extra items you want.

7) if you are going to have any automated shades/window treatments, run low voltage wire during construction or run them on batteries.

8) make sure your plans show any unique ceiling design you want, I.e pop up, drop down, beams, etc. if not, every change will cost.

9) install quad plugs plugs on each side of your beds. ensure these plugs have the ports to plug cell phone, iPad, etc for charging.

10) install variable switches for all your fans.

11) run coax and cat 6 to every room for your tv's. Put blocking in for all tv's.
Mission Ranch AG
AG
A few more items.

1) install outlets in your eaves for holiday decorations.

2) if you have a shop, install 2-3 outlets on separate circuits.

3) depending on your vehicles, install an 8 ft garage door with an upgraded opener.

4) look into the Todo toilets.

5) wire for up lighting and downlighting on the house..

6 wire for security cameras. Ensure your security system has motion detectors and glass break sensors and more than one keypad. Depending on the layout of the house you may want 2-3 keypads. If your builder installs a security package, understand what they install and determine the cost to add all the extra items you want.

7) if you are going to have any automated shades/window treatments, run low voltage wire during construction or run them on batteries.

8) make sure your plans show any unique ceiling design you want, I.e pop up, drop down, beams, etc. if not, every change will cost.

9) install quad plugs plugs on each side of your beds. ensure these plugs have the ports to plug cell phone, iPad, etc for charging.

10) install variable switches for all your fans.

11) run coax and cat 6 to every room for your tv's. Put blocking in for all tv's.
Apache
AG
Great tips so far. Here are some of my thoughts:

Use plywood on the walls instead of sheetrock in your trophy room. This was, you aren't d*&king around looking for studs and you can hang your 350" bull elk anywhere you want to.

If this is your "forever home" make sure it is one story & ADA Compliant so you aren't remodeling your home in your 70's/80's & up to make it workable.

May be an unpopular opinion, but don't go with the super popular "open floor plan" for the whole house.
It's loud (especially when you have kids) you see everywhere which means it's a pain to try and keep everywhere clean. When I build my next and final house, the design is going to be a little more old school than the trend of having kitchen, giant island, dining table & living room all open.

A good book to read on architecture & design in general is " A Pattern Language". It does a good job explaining why many modern homes, design & cities are pretty to look at but suck to live in. Hint: they are designed by architects with huge egos who chase trends instead of designing stuff that actually works & is livable.

Mas89
AG
Take off work and watch/help every day. Only way to get it done right.
And make the garage half the sq ft size of the house.
Gulf Coast Aggie
AG
Tagging for great info. Thanks
Fairview
AG
One thing the outdoors board will agree on is to walk through as many houses you can under construction.
Potcake
AG
I did Schmelba #6 and have relied on it multiple times. Along the same lines, take pics of water supply and wastewater drain locations so you know where NOT to plant.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Why bother? You can always find them when you build a trellis to hide the air conditioner.

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3111397
Fannie Luddite
AG
I just built my house (did the contracting myself). Good points already have been made, but I'll add a few.

1. It is easy to get bogged down on interior decor choices - so many choices, colors, materials. Try to get these settled early in the game. It is not an issue if the builder gives you packages. I used Floor & Decor designers (free) and Sherwin & Williams paint consultant ($100) to get me off of high center and made sure everything flowed.

2. When setting driveway and sidewalk forms, have them lay a 1.5" pvc pipe crosswise in case you want to run wiring underneath later. Mark location with a bit of porch paint on the sides of the concrete.

3. Take photos of locations of water and waste lines, cable lines, underground power lines etc. Don't rely on memory.

4. Windows - consider High-Performance (HP) Low-E vs regular Low-E. HP Low-E will cut down on heat transfer but are darker (look at VT spec to see how much light they let in) and they cast a bit of a tint indoors which affect paint colors. See photos at https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2637495/does-low-e-have-to-tinted-glass.

5. Run at least 1 cat-6 and coax to each room. Cat-6 can power low voltage devices. Have all cables (ones leading outside and inside) terminate in a designated cabinet or cubbyhole indoors, for easy access and to prevent cooking your router in the attic. Use conduit to run the cables outside and to the cabinet in case you want to add to them later.

6. Consider doing the landscaping yourself. Locate a wholesaler - I bought most of my foundation plants for $10 each. This is something you can take your time with unless an HOA is on your case. Make your planting beds deep enough so they are scaled to the size of your house and yard.

7. Get fiberglass exterior doors; metal doors will get scratched and expand\contract with heat and wood doors may warp and degrade. My wood pattern fiberglass doors look like the real thing.

8. Consider ridge vents for attic ventilation. They move more air than whirlybirds. Don't use powered attic exhaust fans (fire hazard).

Finally, once you start don't second guess your choices. It will be costly with change requests and drive you crazy.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
So, low cost ideas:

"Tub" the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room, and hot water heater area. If the rib will go for it, have floor drains installed.

Put high quality valves, rather than the really cheap ones for your water cut off.

Ethernet jacks in the ceiling, to put PoE mesh routers. WiFi speeds drop with distance.

Insulate all interior walls, double stud them if in the budget. (Insulating will cost very little)

Have all electrical lines, including the Ethernet lines, run in conduit. Minimal cost increase, and much safer. Also, makes replacing a bad Ethernet cable, easier.

Have them run, at least, a 1" line for the drip line for AC.

Ensure they run large enough duct, and have a return in every room, properly positioned.

If in budget, use all solid doors. Use outdoor doors for bedrooms, which open out. May want to have them set up for deadbolts.

Use a high security lock cylinder. Easy enough to have the family have a master, and get the shed, yard, etc keyed differently.
UTExan
Quote:

8. Things like laundry rooms need to be way bigger than you intially think. Nobody ever says "man, my laundry room is just too big and all of this room to do things is awful". But they do say, with regularity, how awful it is when they are too small.

9. Make sure your garage is deep enough for the vehicle you intend to drive. My garage is 3 cars wide, but whomever designed it must have thought that 2 door smart cars were the only thing that would ever be parked in there - it is way too shallow and it sucks to not really be able to put a full sized vehicle in it as a result.

10. Put expansion joints in exterior piping where it goes into or under the slab

11. Don't ***** about the paint colors, let your wife pick that out. Smile and tell her she did a great job. You'll be painting over it again in 5 years whenever Joanna goes with a new style anyway.
Pure gold and truth.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
MIAGD
AG
We had our master closet connect to our laundry room through a door and it makes life considerably easier. I also recommend a mud room of sorts at the entrance from the garage for kids shoes/backpacks. We built about two years ago and could not have asked for a better builder especially after hearing all the horror stories. The wife designed the floor plan from scratch and there are some old threads on here that we pulled a lot of ideas from. Many of them have already been mentioned here.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
So many great suggestions already. If you have a sprinkler system installed, have the installer make an accurate map of the water lines.
AggieChemist
AG
The two best days of home ownership: The day you buy it and the day you sell it.
Picard
AG
AggieChemist said:

The two best days of boat ownership: The day you buy it and the day you sell it.

FIFY
Picard
AG
Conduit. Conduit everywhere. Especially on outside walls. It costs nothing and you can drop cables down any wall at a later date if you wish.
Picard
AG
Also, have a separate doorbell wired to your back door and any other exterior doors. Put a smart doorbell there once your move in and you instantly have a video security system at all doors.

We also use ours at the Back door for the kids. They have to ring in vs. open the back door a thousand times to complain about each other.

tony
AG
Lots of good stuff, I'm a civil engineer so I tend to pay more attention to concrete and foundations than the rest.

Like others have said, an engineered slab, 4000 PSI concrete vs 3000 are well worth the extra money. For a garage or shop go for a 6" slab. Make sure they aren't adding a ton of water to any concrete, including the driveways and sidewalks.

ONe thing I haven't seen mentioned is look at where the neighborhood is, and see what it was before it was a neighborhood. Up here in Amarillo they built some incredibly nice homes on what used to be an old playa lake. The soils there are insanely bad. As soon as they started building there my aunt and uncle who own a foundation repair company bought a huge billboard right across from the entrance to the neighborhood. That billboard paid for them to have one of the nicest class A motorhomes I've ever seen.
AggieChemist
AG
Picard said:

AggieChemist said:

The two best days of boat ownership: The day you buy it and the day you sell it.

FIFY
My boats have brought me way more joy than my homes.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.