Outdoors
Sponsored by

San Angelo ranch for sale - great house

2,995 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by W.C. Griffin '09
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I stumbled on this listing and am fascinated by the house, especially the yard. What a great look.

It's a ranch, and those are outdoors.

https://hallhall.com/property-for-sale/texas/x-mile-ranch-house/a091Y000023or3T/
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for posting. Our place is over in coleman county. Country looks familiar, love it out there.
marcel ledbetter
I like the goat on the oak tree branch.
Potcake
AG
marcel ledbetter said:

I like the goat on the oak tree branch.

We used to live in Wimberley and stopped at a Stop sign to take pics of goats in an oak tree. Their great pyranees caretaker came charging at the fence pissed as hell.
rootube
AG
I'm jealous and would move there tomorrow but couldn't help but chuckle at this part.

"The residence enjoys incredible views in all directions and the beautiful San Angelo skyline"

It's possible the San Angelo skyline has changed in the 40 or so years since I've seen it but that is not what i remember. Of course 40 years ago that was going to the big city.
TxAg20
AG
This was WSJ's home of the day one day last week.

The comments section made fun of it being called a ranch due to size. I think it was around 200 acres.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Very little change. A bed tower and clinic at Shannon. The tower at ASU was destroyed about 10 years ago. That's about it.

Downtown is pretty cool these days. Lots of effort put into the area the last 10-15 years. The town and surrounding area has changed and grown but it's still a pretty great place.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
The posting makes it sound like buying the full 5 sections is an option.

The joking about calling it a ranch is funny to me because I don't know what to call my place most of the time. It's under 100 acres but the land is only suitable for animal agriculture. Is it a farm or a ranch? I typically go with "my place".
Canyon99
TxAg20 said:

This was WSJ's home of the day one day last week.

The comments section made fun of it being called a ranch due to size. I think it was around 200 acres.

An additional 3,200 acres +\- can be bought with the house and acreage.
zachsccr
AG
When I was working up at Shannon you could see a good long ways north towards Robert Lee, which is the direction of this property.
The downtown area is doing well here for sure but "skyline" is certainly generous.

If I had 1.8million laying around I move there real fast. Instead I'm still in physical therapy school and will likely never have that much...
agfan2013
AG
W.C. Griffin '09 said:

The joking about calling it a ranch is funny to me because I don't know what to call my place most of the time. It's under 100 acres but the land is only suitable for animal agriculture. Is it a farm or a ranch? I typically go with "my place".

Call it whatever the hell you want to call it, and don't worry about what some keyboard warrior sitting on his .15 acres in middle of Houston thinks you should call it.

My dad has a similar sized place that he always calls "the farm", it's never had a row crop operation on it. Mainly was a hog operation with a few barns on it when my grandparents had it, then they left it to him and now is just cattle that he runs on it. Doesn't stop him from saying "I'm gonna head over to the farm tomorrow and check on the cows".
pinche gringo
AG
That's a beautiful ranch in a great location, just south of the Colorado River/Concho River divide between San Angelo and Robert Lee. That is good country with abundant wildlife. I've seen some very nice deer on that place, and in wet years like 2018 the water runs out of the hills.

If you're looking for something more affordable, I have a 3/2 house on about 10 acres for sale about 20 minutes north of that place on the outskirts of Robert Lee. It's surrounded by a large ranch and has abundant deer, awesome dove hunting, and resident quail numbers are increasing. I sprayed the mesquite, *****lypear and tasajillo in 2019, and spiked the whitebrush in 2018. The property is divided into two pastures and has two shop buildings and a set of pens with three covered horse stalls.

GrimesCoAg95
AG
Does he raise Wagyu? I hear those are called farms.
CajunAggie
AG
That buck is a cull -- no left brow tine.
rootube
AG
agfan2013 said:

W.C. Griffin '09 said:

Call it whatever the hell you want to call it, and don't worry about what some keyboard warrior sitting on his .15 acres in middle of Houston thinks you should call it.

My dad has a similar sized place that he always calls "the farm", it's never had a row crop operation on it. Mainly was a hog operation with a few barns on it when my grandparents had it, then they left it to him and now is just cattle that he runs on it. Doesn't stop him from saying "I'm gonna head over to the farm tomorrow and check on the cows".
John Graves talked about this in one of his books. If I recall correctly he had ~400 acres and he was not comfortable calling that much land a ranch because he figured he would get the side-eye from real ranchers. Of course, that was probably 50+ years ago and most of those 1K places have been subdivided into 10-acre plots.

Edit to add
Of course, those were simpler times when Graves didn't have to worry about the snarky comments on his Instagram. He probably just wanted to avoid the snooty folks at the feed store.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Oh, I'm not really worried about the opinion of others. I grew up on a ranch and never considered a place this small a ranch so it's my own preconceptions. I'm in Sutton County so "rock farm with a side business of sheep" would be most accurate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.