Outdoors
Sponsored by

They biting in the bay!

3,156 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CajunAggie
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Me and a couple podnuhs had this camping trip planned for a number of months. My wife really didn't want me to go with all the craziness going on but she finally came around. We had a hard time just trying to figure out which launches were open but were able to pull it together. Made the long boat ride in the wind on Sunday and got set up in time to get some good fishing in. Nothing like some middle of nowhere solitude to ease the mind.

Two buddies added a few reds to the cooler on the first afternoon and I strung up a slam all out of the same small backwater pond.

Settled in for some prime ribeyes, ceasar salad, and Idahoan stuffed instant potatoes (a camping trip requirement). Notice the 4th ribeye for the poor fella that wasnt able to get away from his woman.

A belly full of rum and steak put us to bed early. Misting rain on the tent made for a late start the next morning, but we were welcomed with more natural beauty.

Poked away at the fish all day and were able to add some more reds and a few trout to the cooler. The trout were slim picking but the reds were making up for it.

Supper for the second night was Nilgai tenderloins. Excellent but I failed to grab a pic. A few hours later, I saw a school of reds wake by in the full moon, not 10 yards away from the campfire. A few quick cast from the bank and a few more reds landed. Around midnight, we expired to our tents. Not five minutes after lying down, I could hear reds crashing bait. My buddies got their waders on and proceeded to head after them. 4:30 am, they show back up after four hours of none stop shallow water action under the full moon. A mess of fish and a bunch of releases. I had missed one of those epic bites that you never forgot. The type of bite that keeps you going back. I was very happy for them!

Three guys, two days take. Unfortunately, everything was covered in moisture, including my camera lens.

Packed up and heading home.

Aggieangler93
AG
Nice to see someone hit that full moon bite. I was out in the yard with the dogs last night, looking up at that full moon, thinking about those black topwaters in my wading box. Man....I am jonesin!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Milwaukees Best Light
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Fess up!!! Which boat ramp did you use?
CypressAg09
AG
Ugh, I just canceled a trip to Port A for the middle of this month. Very jealous.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Had a blast man! Awesome trip, ready to head back and get in to em like that again. The bite the last night was unreal, something I'll never forget.
cupofjoe04
AG
That's awesome! Great memories I'm sure! Congrats on the slam
AGdent07
AG
Awesome trip. Never done an over night trip like that. Thanks for sharing.

Years ago I got invited to do a similar trip in Florida. This write up makes me really wish I had taken them up on the offer.
rootube
AG
It looks like an amazing trip. Thanks for sharing. I predict based on my previous experience doing this you are going to find sand in your truck that you can't reach with the vacuum at least 1 year from today!
AgDad121619
AG
Was that matagorda or somewhere along SPI?
Ifishandlie
AG
Be fun to guess where it is.

I'm guessing quarantine shoreline. Best I got.
FIDO*98*
AG
The one highlight of this whole deal has been late March/April fishing. Normally I'm tied up with Spring Break, Baseball, Easter Holiday, etc. We have been destroying the fish and the mixed stringers have been a blast. Multiple Slams and Grand Slams. Sunday the smallest fish that went in the cooler was 19".
Joe Exotic
AG
Somewhere, PFG is reading this thread and is about to have an aneurysm.
CajunAggie
AG
Looks like a great trip!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.