Outdoors
Sponsored by

Finding banned substances formerly used in yards.

2,397 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OnlyForNow
45-70Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cleaning out my grandfathers shed since he's moved into an assisted living facility and have found a few things that are banned for yard use.

Malathion, found about five gallons of this stuff. He acted like it was effective in keeping bugs off plants.

Diazinon, have found gallons and also pellet form.

anyway, thought it was interesting to find this stuff and i accidentally spilled some of that malathion........the smell alone should have had it banned.
fightingfarmer09
Malathion still is labeled, and still works awesome.
45-70Ag
AG
Sorry about the mistake. I'll leave my idiocy up for the world to see, thought i read it was banned.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
If you find any DDT in there, I'll take it off your hands. The skeeters are starting to come around, and I want them to know I'm waging war.
45-70Ag
AG
Funny you mention that
He asked if we found any. Couldn't tell if he was joking or not.

I'm only about 10% through that thing, guess i May come across some. Have found thing in bottles older than i am i have never heard of.

Found something called dursban but no clue if it's banned or not.
OnlyForNow
AG
Lol.... you need to get out more man.
45-70Ag
AG
Evidently
Ag_07
AG
Was anyone else expecting this to be about finding used heroin needles or meth pipes?
oklaunion
Last year my neighbor was spraying ants in his yard with technical grade malathion and I honestly could smell it downwind 100 yards away. Nothing smells stronger; maybe Bolstar used to.
He was complaining last week about the GrazonNext I put in my pasture.
Most hazardous waste collection events still take stuff like chlordane, dieldrin, endrin, etc.
OnlyForNow
AG
I don't know how old you are, but I am 34 and guess I was around it when my dad and grandpa used that stuff. Just picking, I figure most folks had heard of it or used it.

Now, granted I don't know if dursban is discontinued or not.
TMfrisco
AG
Irish_Man said:

Cleaning out my grandfathers shed since he's moved into an assisted living facility and have found a few things that are banned for yard use.

Malathion, found about five gallons of this stuff. He acted like it was effective in keeping bugs off plants.

Diazinon, have found gallons and also pellet form.

anyway, thought it was interesting to find this stuff and i accidentally spilled some of that malathion........the smell alone should have had it banned.
I'll take the Diazinon!

Dursban is similar. For a while Diazinon was available to homeowners and not to commercial, while Dursban was available to Commercial, but not homeowners. Neither is available now - though there may still be some old "new stock" of Dursban out there. I think it can be sold through the end of this year, but it isn't being produced anymore.
schmellba99
AG
Dursban hasn't been available to homeowners for a while I think.

We used to have bottles of that stuff - Dow made it, and my dad worked at Dow and basically got it for free. No telling how many gallons of that stuff was sprayed in the yard growing up as a kid. Same with DDT when the city mosquito trucks would come through the neighborhood.
Gary79Ag
AG
schmellba99 said:

Dursban hasn't been available to homeowners for a while I think.

We used to have bottles of that stuff - Dow made it, and my dad worked at Dow and basically got it for free. No telling how many gallons of that stuff was sprayed in the yard growing up as a kid. Same with DDT when the city mosquito trucks would come through the neighborhood.
Man, this brings back memories...they'd come by the little league baseball fields and we've all run out and chase after them breathing that stuff in like crazy...
Mathguy64
AG
I still have some chlordane. Not much but enough powder to wipe out a fire ant mound or two. Or termites if I even get any.
45-70Ag
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I don't know how old you are, but I am 34 and guess I was around it when my dad and grandpa used that stuff. Just picking, I figure most folks had heard of it or used it.

Now, granted I don't know if dursban is discontinued or not.

I'm 40, I know i say this a lot but i grew up in the Lincoln park area of Chicago. This stuff wasn't around. I came to Texas twice a year to see my grandparents and how that i live here, it's been an education.
OnlyForNow
AG
Well, I'm just a condescending jerk sometimes, thinking that we all have the same experiences.

Anyways, the more ya know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.