Outdoors
Sponsored by

Texas State Parks Close Indefinitely

10,297 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jayelbee
Eagle2020
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does this mean unmanned places like the Highway 99 boat ramp at Choke Canyon or the Bauer Unit at Guadalupe State Park are closed? I don't think there is a boat ramp on Choke that is not a State facility.
chickenfingers
AG
RealTalk said:

htxag09 said:

Damn.

I just got laid off, so was at least looking forward to doing some kayak fishing down in Galveston or some hiking in Sam Houston State Park to kill some time.
Is Sam Houston affected since it's a national park?

To answer your question the boat ramps and the camp sites at the boat ramps are closed, barricaded, and taped off for good measure. It looked like the hiking trails are all still open though.
Tumble Weed
NM
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

instead of people going to the beach and spreading out like normal, if you want to go to the beach now, you are forced to park at one of the entrances and walk. Which means people are now concentrated in common areas. Because that makes a whole lot of sense.
Yep. Nearby Buffalo Lake NWR has over 7,000 acres and 10 miles of roads. They completely closed it, then reopened it to bikes and hikers.

The only catch is that everyone has to park at the one gate and walk in, thus concentrating everyone on the trails closest to the gate.

Brilliant. (not)
schmellba99
AG
AggieOO said:

Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

This is dumb. My regular and most effective method of "social distancing" long before this pandemic was Big Bend Ranch State Park.

i should know better than to chime in, but....unless you live out in big bend, ask the residents out there about how they feel about people coming out there to "social distance." I'm out that way quite a lot, and absolutely LOVE it out there, but the residents of the towns out there have been and are literally begging people to stay home. The pressure on the infrastructures of those small towns is massive with even the smallest influx. You think its hard to find groceries in austin/houston/wherever you are? Think about the folks out west who have to not only battle the residents, but people coming in from bigger towns who are buying their goods.

And yes, I'm sure you response is or will be, "i bring all my own food/beer/equipment." Even with that, what if something goes wrong? Its unlikely, but removing resources from those communities is impactful at a time like this.

Look, I love that part of the world like very few other do. Probably much like you do, but just because you can be responsible out there doesn't mean everyone can. This is a temporary shutdown, though it is unfortunate to be happening at one of the best times of year to be out that way.
Well then, I guess that is the justification to shut everything down!
Whoop Delecto
AG
Tumble Weed
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

This is dumb. My regular and most effective method of "social distancing" long before this pandemic was Big Bend Ranch State Park.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.
angryocotillo
AG
Called today and found out that the entire Sam Houston National Forest is closed to backpacking. Day use is fine though, not sure how that makes any sense.
Slamn Sharpe
schmellba99 said:

AggieOO said:

Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

i should know better than to chime in, but....unless you live out in big bend, ask the residents out there about how they feel about people coming out there to "social distance." I'm out that way quite a lot, and absolutely LOVE it out there, but the residents of the towns out there have been and are literally begging people to stay home. The pressure on the infrastructures of those small towns is massive with even the smallest influx. You think its hard to find groceries in austin/houston/wherever you are? Think about the folks out west who have to not only battle the residents, but people coming in from bigger towns who are buying their goods.

And yes, I'm sure you response is or will be, "i bring all my own food/beer/equipment." Even with that, what if something goes wrong? Its unlikely, but removing resources from those communities is impactful at a time like this.

Look, I love that part of the world like very few other do. Probably much like you do, but just because you can be responsible out there doesn't mean everyone can. This is a temporary shutdown, though it is unfortunate to be happening at one of the best times of year to be out that way.
Well then, I guess that is the justification to shut everything down!

I'm not sure why that's a hard concept for some
Post removed:
by user
Joe Exotic
AG
I bet the facemasks will only be required in park facilities and offices
Wildman15
AG
Finally starting to move in the right direction
Joe Exotic
AG
Wonder when their website will open for reservations
GunRangeGal
AG
I wonder what the odds are that my family's 43rd reunion at Garner will be able to happen in early October? We've rented the same private campground and cabins for over 30 years now. It's my favorite part of fall.
Ol Jock 99
AG
No groups of more than 5? Does that mean I get to pick a kid to leave with the rangers?
zachsccr
AG
GunRangeGal said:

I wonder what the odds are that my family's 43rd reunion at Garner will be able to happen in early October? We've rented the same private campground and cabins for over 30 years now. It's my favorite part of fall.
Depends on the size of your family probably. Parks should get back to full go faster since they are open and allow for good distancing. Looks like the 50 person threshold is phase 2 in the "Opening up America Again" document. Phase 3 doesn't seem to have a number restriction on it. No clue on timeline, but I'm optimistic it'd be clear enough by October.
Joe Exotic
AG
Apparently no camping. Just day use. Typical Greg Abbott being a spineless weasel.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.