Outdoors
Sponsored by

Texas State Parks Close Indefinitely

10,288 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jayelbee
Post removed:
by user
cledus6150
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jayelbee said:

Also, thread is PFG protected.
This is the best part of the whole thing!
Article 58-10 Offender
Quote:

Texas State Parks will be closed to the public effective at the close of business Tuesday, April 7 in order to maintain the safest environment for visitors
yes, closing them to visitors will certainly ensure that visitors will be safe.
TarponChaser
Sadly, I kind of get this.

There's probably a whole lot of parks going without staffing and people are animals so they're likely trashing these parks.
rather be fishing
AG
We are following the Forest Service plan at present with our rec sites up here in Montana. Parks are opened for day use, overnight camping is not allowed. FS is leaving their toilets opened and not maintaining them, just putting up "use at your own risk" signs. We have made the decision to lock all of our toilets, because we do not have the ability to keep them sanitized.

It's leading to more littering, but so far it's not a huge issue. We'll see what happens as it starts to warm up.
Post removed:
by user
PFG
AG
Ho hum. Just 2 weeks behind my post which most thought was crazy talk. Nothing to see here. Nothing to see. Carry on.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3102743/1#discussion
cledus6150
AG
I guess ill be the first to respond to you that it is still a dumb move, there is literally nothing you can say to change that opinion either.

I'll add that this is in reference 100% to the closing of boat ramps.
Slamn Sharpe
Doubling down on stupidity even when TPWD doesn't agree with you. Put your big boy pants on and admit you were wrong
LEJ
cledus6150 said:

I guess ill be the first to respond to you that it is still a dumb move, there is literally nothing you can say to change that opinion either.

I'll add that this is in reference 100% to the closing of boat ramps.

Agreed. This "one size fits all" approach is a lazy, dumbed down overreaction. It's insulting.

Most of Texas is not NYC.
htxag09
AG
Damn.

I just got laid off, so was at least looking forward to doing some kayak fishing down in Galveston or some hiking in Sam Houston State Park to kill some time.
PFG
AG
Sorry about the lost job. There's a bunch of us in that boat. My household went from 2 employed parents to 1 employed at 40% of previous C19 levels. Hope there's better days ahead.
Unemployed
AG
htxag09 said:

Damn.

I just got laid off, so was at least looking forward to doing some kayak fishing down in Galveston or some hiking in Sam Houston State Park to kill some time.
Is Sam Houston affected since it's a national park?
FC12
NM.
htxag09
AG
RealTalk said:

htxag09 said:

Damn.

Is Sam Houston affected since it's a national park?
Great question, my understanding is that it's a National Forest but most the trails are within state parks.....

I could very well be wrong and hope I'm wrong. Would love to know if they're still open or of other places where I could launch in Galveston. I normally launch in Galveston State Park.
FC12
Also hoping WMA's are open.
DiskoTroop
Question, are public beaches considered part of the state parks?
LEJ
McDadeTXAggie said:

Doubling down on stupidity even when TPWD doesn't agree with you. Put your big boy pants on and admit you were wrong

I seriously doubt this decision makes sense to any outdoor loving and logical thinking TPWD employees... high or low up the chain.

To a bean counting bureaucrat/politician.... most likely.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
htxag09 said:

Damn.

If Galveston Island State Park was your only kayak launch option you are doing things really wrong.
Slamn Sharpe
A couple of weeks before "social distancing " started we were at Bastrop State park for a couple of hours. This was during Spring Break. Looking back and can see several situations that would help spread this virus.

Their office is small and they had 2 or 3 employees behind the counter. The employees were easily inside 5 feet from one another. There were several members from about 4 or 5 families (me included) waiting in line to talking to an employee.

The playground there had probably 15-20 kids/adults. No one was practicing social distancing and you can't in that situation anyways. Same thing for the camp sites. Most had 2 families per camp site. Teens and pre teens were walking the streets interacting with each other.

What's going to happen is people will start shifting to places that are still open. People are bored and wanna get out of the house "hey, I know, let's go to the park, let's go camping" now you have people funneling to state parks

Keep your butt at home.

AgEng06
AG
A PFG/McDade alliance? Man, this board is going to hell!
Slamn Sharpe
AgEng06 said:

A PFG/McDade alliance? Man, this board is going to hell!

Naaaa. I can disagree with someone and agree with them on another thread. I show no internet loyalties
txags92
AG
This is a one-size fits all solution that doesn't need to be done this way. The areas where visitors could get into close contact or where employees could be put at risk are mostly public restrooms and camping areas, fishing piers, concession buildings, etc. Those could easily be flagged off as closed and the park rangers who are going to get paid to be on-site doing park maintenance anyway could be enforcing those closures. For smaller parks oriented mostly at camping and picnic use, it probably makes sense to close. But for larger parks with lots of open space and trails or large open fishing areas that are not piers that would concentrate use, there is no reason to close the entire park. Instead of going to each park manager and saying "Figure out which areas you could reasonably leave open and where people could safely use the park without congregating too closely", they are taking the easy copout route and just closing everything. But you can damn sure bet they are not going to lay anybody off and stop paying them. We will still get to pay full price for people to "maintain" parks that we can't use.
htxag09
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

htxag09 said:

Damn.

If Galveston Island State Park was your only kayak launch option you are doing things really wrong.
I've also launched at Sportsman Road and San Luis Pass but it's been years since I've been out there.
Neches21
I worry that once we close a park its maintenance gets back logged and then it becomes difficult to re-open.

The amendment that passed last year helps state park funding, but it is dependent on sporting goods sales tax of which sales are significantly down. With park visitation now gone, there will be an even greater drop in revenue.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Launch next to Watermans if you want to hit the water behind the state park. You used to be able to launch from Pirates as well, but I haven't done that in years. It was right by an old well pad and you had to carry the yak a bit from the road. Jamaica beach is an option too, but the parking is likely to get you a ticket.
schmellba99
AG
Such pure garbage, nothing more than a "because we need to ensure you serfs know you are servants to the ruling class" decision.
PFG
AG
Quote:

Schmell: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug - 3/31/20

Infamy
schmellba99
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

Question, are public beaches considered part of the state parks?
The county judge here has shut down vehicle access to Follet's beach.

Which means that, instead of people going to the beach and spreading out like normal, if you want to go to the beach now, you are forced to park at one of the entrances and walk. Which means people are now concentrated in common areas. Because that makes a whole lot of sense.

Again, this is nothing more than politicians using every opportunity to let us serfs know where we stand. There is absolutely zero logical reason to shut off public areas. Zero.
PFG
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Meh, it's pretty much because the staff is limited at the moment so they can't keep up with the visitors, which is likely higher than average due to higher unemployment and people "working from home." I still spend lots of days on the river out here in Oregon while "working from home." Just gotta answer the phone every once in a while and draft up emails to send while on the water.
MouthBQ98
AG
Politicians are often idiots that do things for optics to noisy special interests instead of making reasoned decisions and explaining the rationale.
schmellba99
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Meh, it's pretty much because the staff is limited at the moment so they can't keep up with the visitors, which is likely higher than average due to higher unemployment and people "working from home." I still spend lots of days on the river out here in Oregon while "working from home." Just gotta answer the phone every once in a while and draft up emails to send while on the water.
I work from home to.

And the "staff is limited" or "increased visitors" is a cop out. Most state parks have somebody taking money at the gate, and that is about it. Whether you have 1 visitor or 100, doesn't really change the metrics of what you need in terms of staff. If you have concessions, I could buy off on that aspect being closed - but buy in large, state parks (outside of places like Garner) are generally places you can go to avoid people, which is what the goal supposedly is.
schmellba99
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Politicians are often idiots that do things for optics to noisy special interests instead of making reasoned decisions and explaining the rationale.
Yep. Strictly a "you are a serf, I am a noble" mentality.
Post removed:
by user
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.