Outdoors
Sponsored by

HEB Brisket $1.99/lb

5,392 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agfan2013
Law361
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got a WSM last week and did a pork butt and ribs.

Interested in trying a brisket...does anyone know the grade of this H-E-B brisket? It doesn't say anything in the ad besides "packer style"

Is this a good deal? Still trying to figure out brisket prices. If someone could give a breakdown of avg price for select, choice, prime that'd be great.

TIA
DeWrecking Crew
I bought a Prime brisket at HEB last Wednesday for $3.29/lb. Usually when I've seen the "Packer" briskets there they are Select grade and untrimmed, not sure what your particular advertisement is pushing
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
The untrimmed packer briskets are usually $2.20 and depending on the amount of trimming and the grade of beef it goes up from there. $1.99 is a good price.
Law361
AG
They say the deckle fat is removed. I assume that's even better?
DeWrecking Crew
Yeah, that makes it a pretty good deal not having to pay for the majority of the fat that you would just be cutting off
Wildman15
AG
Beef prices are outrageously cheap right now despite a spike in demand. Cattle ranchers are getting ripped off, but jump on it while you can. I bought prime ribeyes from HEB the other day for $11 per pound.
Law361
AG
So it seems like these are select briskets. Any chance it turns out good? Or is it just going to be chopped beef?

I'll probably smoke it anyway because it's a cheap practice run compared to a prime.
GSS
Law361 said:

So it seems like these are select briskets. Any chance it turns out good? Or is it just going to be chopped beef?

I'll probably smoke it anyway because it's a cheap practice run compared to a prime.
Plenty of Select briskets turn into great BBQ. Burden is on the cooker....
NRA Life
TSRA Life
nonameag99
just be happy that you found a GD brisket at a grocery store in America

FFS
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
TxSquarebody
Inferior briskets can make great BBQ. The real difference between grades is margin of error.
alvtimes
give it a rip..... $24 wasted if you screw it up.... better than $100 something wagyu!!! Select cooks up great!!!!
jpb1999
AG
Of course it will be good. Just cook slow at about 225 to 250, keep the white smoke going, keep it wet, and pull around 200/205 internal temp. Wrap the last few hours if you want but not necessary if you keep it wet...
agfan2013
AG
Your profile says BCS, if that's accurate you might also check Kroger on Boonville if you're close to it. I was in there last week and they had choice briskets for $1.99 (with a Kroger card, but they're free to get if you don't have one) and ended up picking up one to put in the freezer. So the HEB sale might be choice as well, although when they don't list a grade and just say "packer style" it does tend to be select....

Typical prices for around here usually range: $2-2.50 for select, $2.50-$3 for choice, $3.50-$4 for prime, $6+ for Wagyu. And while cattle prices are falling, box beef prices are holding steady, packing houses are making a killing right now, so don't expect store prices to drop a bunch more or anything. I usually jump on prime sales if it gets $3.25 or less and choice if it gets to right at $2 a pound.

As said above, plenty of good briskets started out as select, do you part and it will still come out tasty. The whole, it's the Indian, not the arrow thing. Being you are just starting out, definitely start with select and choice before moving up and spending more money on higher grades. You will make mistakes, it's ok, it's part of learning the process. Better to learn/experiment on a cheaper grade.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Was just at the HEB in Sienna Plantation this weekend. They had Choice briskets for 1.99/lb untrimmed. Prime was 3.29/lb. thinking about getting one for Easter.
schmellba99
AG
jpb1999 said:

Of course it will be good. Just cook slow at about 225 to 250, keep the white smoke going, keep it wet, and pull around 200/205 internal temp. Wrap the last few hours if you want but not necessary if you keep it wet...
If by "white" you mean "blue", then you are correct.
schmellba99
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

Was just at the HEB in Sienna Plantation this weekend. They had Choice briskets for 1.99/lb untrimmed. Prime was 3.29/lb. thinking about getting one for Easter.
Well, I know where I'm heading in a few hours now. Gracias!
RebelE Infantry
AG
No worries. Can't guarantee they still have them but there were plenty on Sunday.
Bird Poo
AG
I don't think I've ever seen a choice brisket and I've purchased about 30 of them the last 3 years. Usually all I find is select at Winco/Walmart/Kroger and Prime at Costco. No HEBs in my part of Dallas.
CTGilley
AG
If you dig through the HEB briskets you may find a choice. That is where the money is. Prime turns out like roast. Trimmed will be dry. Packer style choice is what you want and trim it your self. I will take a packer select over a prime trimmed any day. I cook brisket every other month and it is when I find a choice brisket in the $2 HEB sale.
agfan2013
AG
CTGilley said:

Prime turns out like roast.

What? You must be cooking them wrong.

Prime will finish very well just like a select or choice if you cook it right. Shouldn't be a huge fundamental difference in how they cook between grades, just how much room for error you have during the cook and how it finishes out (internal moisture, tenderness).

Only time I used to get a roast taste/texture was wrapping in foil, which was why I switched over to butcher paper.

I do agree with skipping on the pretrimmed ones, I'd rather control the cuts myself than trust someone else in a meat plant that's in a hurry to crank as many out as possible every day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.