Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cheaper Than Dirt up to their usual tricks

3,088 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by El Chupacabra
burtonsnow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Looks like CTD is up to their usual tricks during Covid, but they're finally getting noticed outside of the firearm enthusiast community this time.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/04/03/north-texas-gun-seller-cheaper-than-dirt-dozens-complaints-price-gouging/
SACR
AG
Quote:

But in the same interview, Paxton said the issue is also open to "interpretation," despite the fact that he is in charge of that interpretation as the state's chief legal officer.

"Every case has its own facts and we, there is some discretion as to figuring out whether we believe it is really price gouging or just normal markets," Paxton said.
Pretty easy to look around at other gun stores and see their ammo prices, and determine it is price gouging.
BenderRodriguez
AG
"Gouging". Ha.

We had a thread on them earlier, where someone mentioned that during the last panic CTD was the only place with a certain ammo in stock.

We've had a supply glut for the last 3 years. Ammo was cheap. If you wait until availability is scarce, higher prices ensure people willing to pay the stupid tax for waiting this long can still buy whatever product is currently scarce without people who already have ammo panicking and buying more just because they can.

"Gouging" protects availability to more people during scarcity. It's not fun, but it's a reality.

People obviously don't have too much concern about it or CTD would be out of business after '13.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Is someone willing to pay the price they are asking? Ok, then that's the market price. People aren't buying at that price? Then CTD will have lower their price or lose business. Either way, you either believe in the free market, especially during a crisis, or you don't. "Price gouging" is just a made up word inviting government interference with all its unintended consequences, i.e.- supply shortages, black markets, hoarding, favoritism.
Furlock Bones
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

"Gouging". Ha.

We had a thread on them earlier, where someone mentioned that during the last panic CTD was the only place with a certain ammo in stock.

We've had a supply glut for the last 3 years. Ammo was cheap. If you wait until availability is scarce, higher prices ensure people willing to pay the stupid tax for waiting this long can still buy whatever product is currently scarce without people who already have ammo panicking and buying more just because they can.

"Gouging" protects availability to more people during scarcity. It's not fun, but it's a reality.

People obviously don't have too much concern about it or CTD would be out of business after '13.
it's sad that CTD is still in business. i have no problem with companies raising prices when there is a shortage. but, CTD was actively cancelling paid orders and reselling to a higher bidder.

**** em.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Furlock Bones said:

's sad that CTD is still in business. i have no problem with companies raising prices when there is a shortage. but, CTD was actively cancelling paid orders and reselling to a higher bidder.

**** em.

That is a different issue than the "gouging" bs, and is why I don't buy from CTD.
SACR
AG

I don't think you understand the purpose of the government regulating commerce here.

Let's use food as an example.

If our supply chain gets screwed up and there is a food shortage, people will be willing to pay more for the scarce food that remains. So are the people who can't afford the new higher price going to simply sit by and starve? No, they're going to begin robbing and attacking anyone who has food, and society will break down into lawlessness.

You think this is unfettered government intervention, this is protection to ensure we don't see the break down of civilization.

It's not like they're out there regulating the price of Gucci sunglasses, we're only talking about necessities. And yes, guns and ammo are necessities.
Canyon99
No need to get government involved here. Vote with your wallet.
aggolfer
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

"Gouging". Ha.

They closed up the retail shops in '15.
javajaws
AG
SACR said:

I don't think you understand the purpose of the government regulating commerce here.

If our supply chain gets screwed up and there is a food shortage, people will be willing to pay more for the scarce food that remains. So are the people who can't afford the new higher price going to simply sit by and starve? No, they're going to begin robbing and attacking anyone who has food, and society will break down into lawlessness.

You think this is unfettered government intervention, this is protection to ensure we don't see the break down of civilization.

It's not like they're out there regulating the price of Gucci sunglasses, we're only talking about necessities. And yes, guns and ammo are necessities.
I understand perfectly the government regulating commerce here. Let's use your example.

There is more demand than supply for food. Government in their glorious wisdom fixes the price of that food so that "anybody can afford it". But this doesn't magically increase the supply or decrease the demand...so some people STILL don't get food. It's just the people with less time on their hands starving because they don't have time to wait in lines.

In fact, because the price is fixed unnaturally low, people tend to hoard as well because "they can afford to". This further decreases who gets food. You can point to quantity limits as a fix to this, but those don't work either - back to the same who has more time argument.

And because the price is fixed, there's no added incentive to add to that supply to facilitate the demand (like people bringing in food from farther away, etc. at additional cost as a short term stop gap).
P.H. Dexippus
AG
SACR said:

If you have to resort to hyperbole about people starving then you've already lost this argument.

Thanks to the free market, there are literally thousands, if not tens of thousands of commercial and individual sellers willing to sell that same ammo to you at a competitive price. If you get your way and we institute price ceilings, it is a FACT that supply will dry up/some or all people stop legally selling/no new manufacturers will enter the market. If what you want is more supply so that you don't "starve", then this is the worst possible policy.

It is a fact that price ceilings create black markets. People are still going to try to illegally sell and buy ammo for the market rate if the government outlaws it, whether it be by word of mouth, websites, dark web, etc.

It's almost like people haven't paid attention to empty shelves in Venezuela, or have forgotten the utter misery and failing of Gosplan price setting in the USSR. Who is the all-wise expert who will tell you and me the "fair" price for this ammo?

If you think the government should be creating price ceilings for food and ammo now, why not all the time? They are necessities after all. Why not price ceilings for rent and houses? Clothing, toiletries, internet service, medicine, bottled water, electricity and cars?

meggy09
AG
SACR said:

Don't be an idiot. Most people don't consider ammo an essential good, and if you did, you should have more than enough stocked away. Don't cry now because people planned poorly.
MouthBQ98
AG
Entering then breaking a contract for a sale because they have found another new buyer seems very sketchy. I'm sure they have legalese in the sale that lets them off the hook but that is a slimy business practice.
Stasco
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Entering then breaking a contract for a sale because they have found another new buyer seems very sketchy. I'm sure they have legalese in the sale that lets them off the hook but that is a slimy business practice.

This. I don't have much of a problem with "price gouging" outside of pretty limited circumstances, and online sales of something like ammo wouldn't fall under those circumstances.

It's the cancelling of legitimate orders that strikes me as a slimy and disreputable business practice. I won't be doing any business with CTD in the future, whether it's legal or not.
El Chupacabra
Got an email from PSA today for 9mm...$160 shipped. I thought, 'that's a good deal, even 3-4 months ago, then I realized it was for 500 rounds. Even PSA has doubled their prices, is that gouging also?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.