Outdoors
Sponsored by

Neighbor isn't home, saw water leak so I turned their water off

8,978 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lotsofhp
lotsofhp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was going for a walk and heard rushing water. Turns out my neighbor has a big leak in their sprinkler system and it was starting to flood their yard.

They aren't home. So I opened up the valve box and shut the water off and left them a note of what I did. I don't have their phone number.

That's the right thing to do right? Is their some weird reason why I shouldn't have done that and now I've messed things up?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just feel weird shutting someone's water off with out them knowing it. Wondering if I shouldn't have done that.
SPF250
AG
Absolutely right thing to do. A neighbor did that for me while I was out of state one time. Always appreciated it.
BlueMiles
AG
I would have done the same thing and would be glad for a neighbor to do that if it happened at my house. Hey, if you did that at my house, thank you!
tamc93
AG
Absolutely the right thing to do. The neighbor should bring you a 6-pack of corona's for it.

Edit to add: You may have to help them turn it back on since there is a good chance that they do not know how.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
ag0207
AG
If the neighbor isn't appreciative tell him to stick it. Absolutely correct call.
burtonsnow
AG
tamc93 said:

Absolutely the right thing to do. The neighbor should bring you a 6-pack of corona's for it.

He may prefer some Dos.
DifferenceMaker Ag
Although I cannot imagine that they would complain, but if they do, then you can just post an ad on Craigslist that they are having a garage sale when they return.
agneck
You'll burn up their water heater
AggieChemist
AG
DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Although I cannot imagine that they would complain, but if they do, then you can just post an ad on Craigslist that they are having a garage sale when they return.

Or write "I love cock" in letters 20 feet long in roundup in his yard.
BigBrother
AG
You did the right thing, but you also need to report them for being away from their house, comrade!
lotsofhp
AG
This is what I was wondering about
tamc93
AG
lotsofhp said:

This is what I was wondering about
Personally, I would not worry. I turn my water off at the ranch every time I leave, never burned a water heater up yet.

If there is an irrigation backflow preventor, you can go turn it off there instead of at the meter.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
lotsofhp
AG
I'm pretty positive this is what I did. I think the valve I turned off just goes to the sprinkler system and not the house. But I don't know for sure.
texan12
agneck said:

If the tank isn't empty and the water heater is maintaining the water's temperature, what would burn up?
BrazosDog02
AG
agneck said:

LOL
SteveBott
AG
That's what I was wondering. But I'm not versed at all on heaters
Old Sarge
AG
Might want to go back tomorrow and see if their sprinkler system has a separate cut off valve. If so, block it out, and turn back on the main valve. They may have systems that require water supply in the house.
xMusashix
AG
I would be shocked if they don't have an isolation valve at the back flow preventer that could be used to shut in their sprinkler system.
lotsofhp
AG
They're home. I left my cell on the note and they said thank you
Potcake
AG
tamc93 said:

Edit to add: You may have to help them turn it back on since there is a good chance that they do not know how.

Not likely. Breweries have been deemed non-essential in Mexico and Grupo Modelo has stopped making Modelo Especial, Corona, and Pacifico. I'm starting to hoard Pacifico.
Ragoo
AG
agneck said:

it should still have a thermostat
Senator Blutarski
AG
. . . and water in it.
agneck
There's a leaky hot water faucet in the master bath. The heater is in melt down. Nuked.
TH36
You did fine... wether you turned the water off to just the sprinkler system at the back flow preventer or shut everything off at the meter. You're not gunna hurt the water heater.

Signed,
A Texas licensed plumber
expresswrittenconsent
You're a good neighbor, OP.
JSKolache
AG
Potcake said:

tamc93 said:

Not likely. Breweries have been deemed non-essential in Mexico and Grupo Modelo has stopped making Modelo Especial, Corona, and Pacifico. I'm starting to hoard Pacifico.
Gross.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Like a good neighbor lotsofhp is there
doctorAg13
AG
Happened at our house when I was a kid. We went on vacation to Mexico at Christmas and there was a hard freeze which burst a pipe. A neighbor saw water pouring out our front door and turned the water main off, but the damage was already done.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Naveronski
AG
If they get mad, just wait a few days and do it again.
BlueSmoke
The only "weird" thing is in this day and age, feeling even the slightest apprehension to helping a neighbor.

*an indictment of the times we live in, not you personally*

When it's going well, it's easy to ignore your neighbors and assume you have everything covered. Until you don't. I'd think under the current circumstances we'd become ever more close with our community (as a figure of speech).
halfastros81
AG
Quote:

No . Water heater has a thermostat and it will shut off when the water gets to the temperature set point. It'll just sit there and cycle on an off to maintain the water temperature in the tank. Unless as someone pointed out you have a leak in the hot water system somewhere that will drain the water out of the hot water heater.

OP did the right thing. The learning for the future is to get your neighbors cell #'s and give them yours.
BuddysBud
AG
It is sad that we have to question whether or not helping a neighbor was the right thing to do.
schmellba99
AG
agneck said:

No, you won't
schmellba99
AG
BuddysBud said:

It is sad that we have to question whether or not helping a neighbor was the right thing to do.
We don't have to question if this is the right thing, because we all know it is. The OP is like the person on facebook that finds somebody's driver's license at the convenience store and instead of mailing it to them or driving it to their house, they post of FB asking if anybody knows the name on the DL, then posts telling everybody how they found it and want to return it to them.

Basically, a not so low key way of getting a pat on the back.
schmellba99
AG
I do have to admit that I am kind of surprised that nobody here went full stupid and scolded the OP for violating trespassing laws or some other nonsense, which, frankly, is what I expected to see more of than anything.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.