Outdoors
Sponsored by

Can one simply change the oil on their riding lawnmower?

3,050 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PooDoo
proc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a Huster Raptor, and am getting close to that recommended 20 hour first oil change. Is this a giant pain that should require me to take it in to the independent dealer, or is this something relatively easy to do on a weekend?
Muzzleblast
About a 30 minute job.

You are under house arrest anyway with CV so go for it.
Boomhauer89
AG
I have a Badboy and it is fairly simple to do, I would check YouTube for a how to but it is no more difficult that an oil change on a truck.
goatchze
AG

Very easy. Find drain plug, remove drain plug, drain oil. Replace drain plug. Replace filter. Add oil.
tamc93
AG
Fairly easy. Buy what you need either in a kit (more expensive) or separate (oil, filter (suggest Wix), air, fuel). The latter you will need later on for future changes.

FJB, FPA, and FAZ
AgResearch
AG
goatchze said:

Very easy. Find beer; drink beer. Find drain plug, remove drain plug, drink more beer, drain oil. Drink more beer. Replace drain plug. Replace filter. Add oil. <=== Double check you did this with all the beer drinking. Drink another beer.
FIFY
schmellba99
AG
Simple procedure. Most ZTR's have a hose that is connected to the oil pan that has a cap and plug on the end that feeds through the deck and you drain it into an oil pan. Remove filter, replace with a new one (based on a convo and experience I had with a local small engine guy, avoid Wix filters for any air cooled engines - stick with whatever factory brand filters that are recommended), add new oil. Boom, done in half an hour and likley with little to no mess.
goatchze
AG
AgResearch said:

goatchze said:

Very easy. Find beer; drink beer. Find drain plug, remove drain plug, drink more beer, drain oil. Drink more beer. Replace drain plug. Replace filter. Add oil. <=== Double check you did this with all the beer drinking. Drink another beer.
FIFY
Thanks. That does sound more accurate.
GSS
In most cases you can cross reference the oil filter to an automotive equivalent....at about 1/3 of the cost.

Quite sure the owners manual will detail a DIY oil change.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
malenurse
AG
AgResearch said:

goatchze said:

FIFY
You forgot the part about doing it next to the storm sewer drain.
rednecked
AG
AgResearch said:

goatchze said:

FIFY
Dad's have been teaching this method for decades and it worked perfectly every time. with all the lawncare services out there now i fear what future generations will become.
TOM-M
schmellba99 said:

...avoid Wix filters for any air cooled engines...
OK..............................why?

They're metal cans where the oil typically goes in several little holes, through some media, and returned through a big hole. With a gasket to keep them from leaking and maybe different colored paint. Seriously, what's wrong with WIX on air-cooled? Leaks? Media no bueno or too restrictive? Something else?
yakin ag
AG
I have a Hustler Raptor as well. Changing the engine oil is easy. Changing the hydraulic oil and filters is a PITA. I have a skid steer and tractor I can pick the machine up with, makes it much easier. On the ground servicing the hydros is aggravating.
schmellba99
AG
TOM-M said:

schmellba99 said:

...avoid Wix filters for any air cooled engines...
OK..............................why?

They're metal cans where the oil typically goes in several little holes, through some media, and returned through a big hole. With a gasket to keep them from leaking and maybe different colored paint. Seriously, what's wrong with WIX on air-cooled? Leaks? Media no bueno or too restrictive? Something else?
I thought the same thing, but my small engine guy pointed out that the blown engine on my riding mower had a Wix filter and that 80%-90% of the engines that he sees that are blown all have only 1 thing in common - Wix filters. Something about them that they just don't do well on air cooled engines (can't remember if he said too restrictive or not nearly restrictive enough on the media - it's been 9 months or so now).

Great for normal water cooled engines. Now, could it all be a coincidence? Absolutely, but when a guy that makes a living on these things keeps track of causes and points to that commonality, I tend to defer to his experience. And this coming from a guy that uses Wix filters on vehicles, tractors, etc. I don't use them on my ZTR anymore.
TOM-M
Interesting. Learn something new every day.....even things that don't make a lick of sense.
SharkinAg
AG
Why rush? Make it a two hour job with some beers as said above. Maybe hold off on the cigar until you finish though.
tamc93
AG
TOM-M said:

Interesting. Learn something new every day.....even things that don't make a lick of sense.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
cevans_40
AG
TOM-M said:

My mechanic grandfather swears your should buy the cheapest oil filter available. Says the better filters are too restrictive and are prone to lock up faster. I know my oil pressure runs about 5-10 psi higher when I run the cheap (Walmart super tech) filters vs wix and fram.
Moon Shadow
The main thing is to stay hydrated!
Drink beer because it replaces fluids, essential salts, and provides necessary nutrition too!
docb
AG
I'm sure it's easy to do. Just changed my Scag out about two weeks ago. Hydraulic oil and filter is no big deal either.
Jason Ag
AG
Youtube is a great resource. May even find your exact model.
RCR06
AG
When it is time for an oil change you might as well sell your mower. Please post your contact info so I can come pick it up and relieve you of this problem.
Serious Lee
RCR06 said:

When it is time for an oil change you might as well sell your mower. Please post your contact info so I can come pick it up and relieve you of this problem.
you jest, but i got a john deere 300 series mower with only 75 hours under not too distant circumstances.

guy turns over mower into the lakebed. tries to crank it up, wont turn over (battery wet). That plus the cracked hood was enough for him to put it to the curb.

I purged the water from the engine, changed the oil and filters, new battery, cranked right up and hasnt missed a beat
Fannie Luddite
AG
It's easy - just look at your manual (available online) for details.

Hint - run you engine 5 to 10 minutes before the change so it flows out easily.
agenjake
Makes you think more clearly, too.
PooDoo
AG
cevans_40 said:

TOM-M said:

My mechanic grandfather swears your should buy the cheapest oil filter available. Says the better filters are too restrictive and are prone to lock up faster. I know my oil pressure runs about 5-10 psi higher when I run the cheap (Walmart super tech) filters vs wix and fram.

That made me think of this YouTube channel. It reminds me of the old Consumer Report type TV show that tested products when I was a kid.
I can't find it on my phone but I think he compared oil filters.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2rzsm1Qi6N1X-wuOg_p0Ng
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.