Outdoors
Sponsored by

Push Mower Recommendations?

5,355 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgDotCom
I Like Mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Title says it all. Gas vs electric? $400 ish range. Self propelled or not, what ya got?
aTm2004
AG
Bought one of these (earlier model maybe) a couple of years ago and it's awesome. Started up 2nd crank this spring after sitting all winter.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-HU800AWDX-BBC-190-cc-22-in-Self-Propelled-Gas-Push-Lawn-Mower-with-Honda-Engine-and-Blade-Stop-System/999956452
tamc93
AG
In before the recharge folks get here...

Gas, Self Propelled, Honda Engine ... the rest is mostly cosmetic.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
rootube
AG
I just got the EGO electric mower based on a recommendation from another OB thread. I like it a lot so far. I don't miss the noise or the gas smell in the garage.
Ol Whats his Face
AG
It depends on how big an area you are mowing, I have an ego push mower and I love the thing. I wouldn't recommend it for giant yards unless you get a second battery tho.
Fannie Luddite
AG
Any mower with a honda gas powered engine.
Hamburger Dan
Honda, Honda, Honda
Alte Schule
Yes sir, Husqvarna with the Honda engine. Husqvarna also has a model with a Briggs n Stratton engine for a little less. Change the oil and spark plug every other year and your good.
SanAntoneAg
AG
My Honda self propelled is 20-25 years old and is the cat's ass.
chickencoupe16
AG
I love my Husqvarna HU700. No matter what brand of mower you choose, choose a Honda engine.
FNG
SanAntoneAg said:

My Honda self propelled is 20-25 years old and is the cat's ass.

I'm not sure if that is a good thing?
SanAntoneAg
AG
http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/cat's-ass
FNG
SanAntoneAg said:

themoreyouknow.jpg
EskimoJoe
get a juan and your problems go away.
one MEEN Ag
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Stop trying to make cat's ass happen. It's never going to happen.
tamc93
AG
EskimoJoe said:

get a juan and your problems go away.
but I am "Juan", and it helps by problems go away...

Damn, I guess I agree with you.
FJB, FPA, and FAZ
cupofjoe04
AG
This will be an unpopular opinion- but if your yard isn't too big, consider a reel mower. I used a Fiskars in Houston for 7 years, on 1/4 ac lot. I loved it. Mostly the never having to worry about gas, batteries, maintenance, etc. But the quietness of it was a real plus as well. It was so great mowing early in the mornings (or in the evenings) without the noise or bothering anyone. Especially when we had a baby.

The trade off for no maintenance or noise is that it is more work if you let your yard go- because it doesn't handle tall thick grass very well. But a quick pass once per week kept the lawn in great shape. It wasn't any harder to push than a regular (not self propelled) mower. The reels are supposed to be better for the grass than spinning blades, but I'm no expert.

The only reason I don't own it anymore, is that I moved to Colorado and don't have a yard to mow (I just wack the native weeds once or twice a year).

I'll say it - I love reel mowers. Fight me!

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/reel-mowers
RustyBoltz
AG
Did a lot of research last year and ended up going with a Honda HRR216VKA. It's been great for our 6500sqft of st augustine grass.
But the runner up for me was the Toro with the Honda engine. Skip all the gimmicky electrics and clutches; just look at the self propelled mechanisms and the mulching/cut quality.
RustyBoltz
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

I've watched enough of Connor Ward on YT to be jealous of reel mowers and those with lawns they can mow at 3/4" tall
Michael Shumard
Not raining on everyone's parade - I still would chose Honda, but, they make lemons just like everyone else and I have been less impressed lately.

My Honda motor mower is fine - my Honda motor pressure washer is the biggest piece of junk around. Has been used 5 times in 2 years... always ran her dry of gas to prevent problems, and she still won't run right.

You pair that with a Honda outboard I had on my first boat, a 2011 Honda 90 that blew power head because a few alarms failed...

The brand isn't what it used to be.
one MEEN Ag
AG
What kind of grass did you have that you were reel mowing? Most people on this board have st. Augustine. You can go like 1" height on it, but it just isn't the same.

BigO93
AG
We live in the burbs and have a relatively small yard. Bought an EGO battery powered mover from Home Depot 2 years ago and have had a good experience with it so for. My teenage sons mow, edge, weed eat, etc. and they like it. Way more quiet and nice not having to worry about gas, oil changes, & starting. I would recommend it if you have a smaller amount of grass to mow.
HumpitPuryear
AG
I recommend front wheel drive over rear wheel drive. It's easier to control. A slight push down on the push bar and the front wheels lose grip. Makes turning the mower a lot easier and faster IMO. And definitely Honda. I have a Husky front wheel drive mower with Honda on it that's about 8 years old now and it starts first pull every time. I have the same mower at the lake with the B&S and rear wheel drive. It's garbage. Hard to start. It's being replaced. It came with the place when I bought it is the only reason I even have the damn thing.
schmellba99
AG
I have a Husqvarna with a B&S engine that is a good mower that I use occasionally. The Honda engine was significantly more expensive and the reviews on the B&S were just as good, so went with it. No complaints, other than the push button battery start function on it no longer works (pretty sure I need a new battery, but since I use it fairly infrequently it's not a high priority).

If you have a smaller yard, definitely look into the EGO battery mowers. My dad was die hard against batteries for the longest time but eventually got a battery/rechargeable mower and absolutely loved it. Quieter, less vibration, no real maintenance to speak of.
EskimoJoe
does anyone have experience with the robotic mowers, the roomba version of the lawn mower?
FNG
EskimoJoe said:

does anyone have experience with the robotic mowers, the roomba version of the lawn mower?

George Jetson?
rootube
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

This will be an unpopular opinion- but if your yard isn't too big, consider a reel mower. I used a Fiskars in Houston for 7 years, on 1/4 ac lot. I loved it. Mostly the never having to worry about gas, batteries, maintenance, etc. But the quietness of it was a real plus as well. It was so great mowing early in the mornings (or in the evenings) without the noise or bothering anyone. Especially when we had a baby.

The trade off for no maintenance or noise is that it is more work if you let your yard go- because it doesn't handle tall thick grass very well. But a quick pass once per week kept the lawn in great shape. It wasn't any harder to push than a regular (not self propelled) mower. The reels are supposed to be better for the grass than spinning blades, but I'm no expert.

The only reason I don't own it anymore, is that I moved to Colorado and don't have a yard to mow (I just wack the native weeds once or twice a year).

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/reel-mowers
I have heard they are better for the grass too and I used one a long time ago on bermuda which was manageable but if there were a lot of seed heads (And there always were on my lawn) you were screwed going back and forth over it and hoping for the best. When I moved back to Texas and tried it on St. Augustine I gave up immediately and sold my reel mower on craigslist.
aftershock
Costco has the AWD Husqvarna with the Honda engine for $329.99 and my local store (Katy).
BQ84 -ORP
AG
Had a neighbor that used one about 10-12 years ago. He would get it out at 8 AM and still be watching it mow the front yard 3 hours later. The rest of us would just laugh as we would get our complete yards finished in an hour, including edging, trimming, and sweeping.

We never found out how long it took to mow his back yard!
GigEm81
AG
I have owned Honda and Toro. Both really good and reliable.

The self propelled to me is a waste. Makes them heavier etc. Push the mower, get a little exercise, less to break.
cupofjoe04
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

What kind of grass did you have that you were reel mowing? Most people on this board have st. Augustine. You can go like 1" height on it, but it just isn't the same.

I had St. Aug in the front, and I'm pretty sure it was Zoysia in the back. Whatever was there when I moved in. I kept the front around 1 1/4", and the back seemed to do better at 3/4". The reel mower definitely cut the thicker blades better.
cupofjoe04
AG
Interesting. I found mine preferred the ticker blades, really cut consistently without missing stragglers. It struggled with longer thin grass. In my backyard, it performed beautifully if I kept it short. Did have plenty of back and forth if I let it get out of hand.
Furlock Bones
AG
as someone that has a honda that just runs. if i was buying right now, it would be an Ego electric.

unless you want to pony up for a gas powered reel mower. one of my neighbors has one and i am jealous of that cut.
up-n-aTm
AG
HumpitPuryear said:

I recommend front wheel drive over rear wheel drive. It's easier to control. A slight push down on the push bar and the front wheels lose grip. Makes turning the mower a lot easier and faster IMO. And definitely Honda. I have a Husky front wheel drive mower with Honda on it that's about 8 years old now and it starts first pull every time. I have the same mower at the lake with the B&S and rear wheel drive. It's garbage. Hard to start. It's being replaced. It came with the place when I bought it is the only reason I even have the damn thing.

I avoided this front wheel drive vs rear wheel drive issue by buying an AWD mower. Husqvarna makes an AWD with a Honda for about $320 at Lowes. Been a good mower so far.
BigLeftMiss08
AG
Where are you located McCreary?

I have a great Honda that I am unloading due to not being able to mow as often as I want with work travel and what not.

I actually just finished performing the annual maintenance on it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.