Outdoors
Sponsored by

Governor Abbott - dang, I like this guy!

7,942 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rootube
raidernarizona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[url]https://www.nraila.org/articles/20200331/governor-abbott-issues-statewide-covid-19-order-with-exceptions-for-firearms-industry-and-huntingfishing[/url]

Quote:

Today, Governor Greg Abbott issued an executive order implementing Essential Services and Activities Protocols for Texas that will override previous local orders and be in effect through April 30th. The protocols allow exceptions for essential activities and services based on the Department of Homeland Security's guidelines on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce, which includes "workers supporting the operation of firearm or ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges."

The governor also mentioned in his press release that it does not prohibit people from engaging in essential daily activities, such as hunting or fishing, provided that the necessary precautions are maintained to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 and to minimize in-person contact with people who are not in the same household.
agsalaska
AG
Yep. Our County people have been openly encouraging people to go to Belton and Stillhouse Lakes.

And the Washington Government shut down the Sound.

Big difference in mindsets.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
rather be fishing
AG

PFG won't like this.
PFG
AG
Do as you wish. Most local govts are making up for Abbott's short falls. Keep on hitting the lakes and rivers and bays. Might help shut em down faster.

https://www.nps.gov/lamr/index.htm

El Chupacabra
PFG said:

Do as you wish. Most local govts are making up for Abbott's short falls. Keep on hitting the lakes and rivers and bays. Might help shut em down faster.

https://www.nps.gov/lamr/index.htm

Coward
CW Griswold
rather be fishing said:

PFG won't like this.

Great, you threw up the bat signal for that moron, and now here he is.

Ignore him. He doesn't contribute anything useful.
SanAntoneAg
AG
And the fool Port Aransas mayor shut down fishing on the beach.
rather be fishing
AG
He's winning the internet battle against a lot people on this board.
CactusThomas
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

And the fool Port Aransas mayor shut down fishing on the beach.

I think its stupid, but it is likely more to discourage out of town people from visiting than anything else. Just a guess.
rab79
AG
rather be fishing said:

user name doesn't check out
FIDO*98*
AG
While I overall suppor the measure, Abbot is doing nothing more than pandering as usual.
rather be fishing
AG
rab79 said:

rather be fishing said:

user name doesn't check out
Believe, me, user name checks out. I'm not in favor of shutting down fishing.

I do find all the butthurt PFG is generating comical, however.
txags92
AG
rather be fishing said:

If you mean winning the battle to be the biggest DB, I agree completely.
PFG
AG
Tom Green county slapping Abbotts limp wrist out of the way, and closing down all public boat ramps and docks.

https://sanangelolive.com/news/health/2020-03-31/coronavirus-tom-green-county-executive-order

STX Ag
AG
They had to do that to keep 10,000 suburban Austin hipster doofuses from descending on a 180 acre pond.

Edit - replied to wrong poster.
PFG
AG
Oh I don't disagree.

But I said the same thing on another thread - regarding the closure of ramps at lakes/rivers/bays across Texas to stop the recreational boats/skiers/party barges - and I was told to pound sand.

I get it folks. You wanna fish. You want to enjoy this weather before its 110 in the shade for 4 months. But now aint the time. I don't care if you fish by yourself 100ft away from anyone. Fisherman aren't the only ones who use boat ramps. And since we can't put a police officer at every ramp to say Yay or Nay depending on the boaters activity (fishing vs water rec) - then we have to close them all down. Now.
rootube
AG
Looks like Travis county parks and boat ramps are also closed.

https://parks.traviscountytx.gov/news/2020/118-covid-19-preparedness
CanyonAg77
AG
Said it on another thread. Feds shut down our local NWR. Then reopened it to hiking and biking. But instead of you being able to drive in your car anywhere on the 10 miles of road, you have to park at the gate, and walk in, concentrating everyone on 100 acres and one small parking area, instead of 7000 acres.

Stupid. Open it up.
PFG
AG
Or close it all. I agree. One of the two. Don't concentrate folks.
cledus6150
AG
Or you can continue to pound sand as you stated earlier and let those of us who enjoy our social distancing outdoors continue to do so.
PFG
AG
Oh I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just clapping for the local officials doing the right thing in the face of leadership failure at the state level.
Unemployed
AG
The extra-vigilant (like PFG) is just as annoying as those who don't care enough. I know you mean well but you're just yelling at clouds. You gotta know your audience.

Everybody on here has enough common sense to take the proper precautions to protect themselves and their families.

PFG
AG
Quote:

Everybody on here has enough common sense to take the proper precautions to protect themselves and their families.

You and I must be reading different forums.

As far as extra vigilance: Fauci said it best.

" We are overreacting because if it looks like you're overreacting, you're probably doing the right thing,"
Unemployed
AG
PFG said:

Quote:

" We are overreacting because if it looks like you're overreacting, you're probably doing the right thing,"
Don't mistake what I posted as disagreeing with you.

I'm just not one to pontificate or be preachy about it.
txags92
AG
PFG said:

Oh I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just clapping for the local officials doing the right thing in the face of leadership failure at the state level.
So you think all the sidewalks, bike trails, hike trails, and neighborhood streets should be closed to all pedestrian traffic? And that all these neighborhood groups going out and doing parades and neighborhood chats/happy hours talking to each other from across the street should be banned as well? Because all of those things involve a lot more people in a lot closer contact than my wife and I driving from my house to the beach and going out wading in the surf by ourselves. I am going to assume you have not left the house at all in the last two weeks correct? Not even to go to the mailbox? Because doing any of those things would be terribly dangerous by your standards and would be egregiously irresponsible behavior in these dire times. And God forbid, I hope you have not gotten in your car, since many many more people will die in car accidents this year than will die of this virus. Travelling anywhere by vehicle should be completely off-limits to you and your family at all times because of how unbelievably dangerous it is for all of you. Please be safe my friend...and the rest of us will decide what level of safety we feel we need in our lives...
raidernarizona
Quote:

I get it folks. You wanna fish.

Nah, I actually just wanna sit out in the middle of 500 beautiful wooded acres away from everyone and shoot turkeys in the face with my son....

Unemployed
AG
Even the turkeys are maintaining 6ft social distancing!
agsalaska
AG
txags92 said:

PFG said:

So you think all the sidewalks, bike trails, hike trails, and neighborhood streets should be closed to all pedestrian traffic? And that all these neighborhood groups going out and doing parades and neighborhood chats/happy hours talking to each other from across the street should be banned as well? Because all of those things involve a lot more people in a lot closer contact than my wife and I driving from my house to the beach and going out wading in the surf by ourselves. I am going to assume you have not left the house at all in the last two weeks correct? Not even to go to the mailbox? Because doing any of those things would be terribly dangerous by your standards and would be egregiously irresponsible behavior in these dire times. And God forbid, I hope you have not gotten in your car, since many many more people will die in car accidents this year than will die of this virus. Travelling anywhere by vehicle should be completely off-limits to you and your family at all times because of how unbelievably dangerous it is for all of you. Please be safe my friend...and the rest of us will decide what level of safety we feel we need in our lives...
I am pretty sure he is not referencing you and your wife walking. He is referencing the beach parties we were seeing this weekend at Lake Plugerville. I do not think any of those actions you mentioned are terribly dangerous by any standards.

Second, if you really believe your sentence 'many many more people will die in car accidents this year than die of this virus,' um. cool. You must know something that nobody else knows. That's cool. Probably explains your last sentence a lot.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
03_Aggie
PFG said:

Unfortunately not.
PFG
AG
Oh hi RealTalk.

Wait

:|

K bye
txags92
AG
agsalaska said:

txags92 said:

PFG said:

I am pretty sure he is not referencing you and your wife walking. He is referencing the beach parties we were seeing this weekend at Lake Plugerville. I do not think any of those actions you mentioned are terribly dangerous by any standards.

Second, if you really believe your sentence 'many many more people will die in car accidents this year than die of this virus,' um. cool. You must know something that nobody else knows. That's cool. Probably explains your last sentence a lot.

That is just the problem. He IS advocating for banning individuals doing things by themselves away from everybody. If the problem is big beach parties, then ban those. If the problem is crowds at boat ramps, then close boat ramps. But what PFG is enthusiastically advocating is banning and closing all manner of things that pose absolutely no threat to anybody, simply because there is the possibility that a few people might not do it safely. That is the only thing I object to.

It is exactly the same as the way people want gun laws to be used. There are millions of gun owners who are responsible and law abiding, and there are a relative few who use them in criminal acts. Rather than go after the few who use them criminally, PFG's preferred solution would appear to be to just take guns away from everybody because nobody can be trusted to use them properly if there are a few who don't. I simply don't agree with that kind of abuse of government power.

I totally get that this is a dangerous virus and I am not one of the "this is nothing but a flu" types. I mis-stated a statistic regarding vehicle fatalities because I swapped the number if annual injuries for number of annual deaths. But the concept remains the same...roughly 33,000 people died in car accidents last year. With thousands dying and many millions more at risk, I would assume that risk is completely unacceptable to PFG and that he has refused to drive anywhere to protect himself and his family...
agsalaska
AG
That's not how I read his response. Or maybe I am crediting another comment to him.

But ok.
aggiegolfer03
AG
Thank God we have 2 ponds on our place and I'd already bought all the gear I wanted for a likely cancelled vacation to yellowstone.
txags92
AG
agsalaska said:

That's not how I read his response. Or maybe I am crediting another comment to him.

But ok.
Both here and on the Washington state thread, he has vigorously advocated for total shutdowns of fishing (and other recreational activities) at the state level. His responses here on this thread are cheering on local authorities shutting things down because he is upset that the state hasn't done so already.
PFG
AG
That is correct.

But I like how you molded that into my supposed gun views? Pandemic views = 2nd amendment views? lol ok.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.