Outdoors
Sponsored by

Just killed my best dog...

7,130 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Lance in Round Mountain
Woods Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought Old Yeller (the female version) 7 years ago from the family whom originally coined the breed Black Mouth Cur. I owned mutts my whole life. There was 1 breed I swore that I'd get one day. Obviously, after I read the book Old Yeller when I was child.

I drove from Michigan to pick her up. Washed her ****-covered ass in the Dollar General bathroom sink a couple miles from Ladner's house. I drove all night to get her back to her mom before she had to go to work that morning. We were getting married less than a week later in the Bahamas. (Some poor young lady that worked with my wife swore she'd watch her for the time we were gone). I got home at 4:30am, and we agreed she could curl up with my wife to sleep for that night only. She slept with her back to my wife and her feet in my back for the next 7 years. I swear, I got more stories to prove you can't break this dog's will. She's a legend.

The woman that watched my 7 week old pup swore she was from Satan and she'd never watch her again when we got back from our wedding/honeymoon.

That was Reveille. She was the most stubborn, **** you, dog that ever lived. She also would protect my wife with her life. She didn't know how to back down from anything. When she claimed something, it was hers, and she'd die for it. (Including my eggs/bacon if I left it on the counter while I was getting ready for work). At 4 months she went at my heeler/pitbull mix so hard over a toy that he backed up into a wall and sat down. And she owned him for the rest of his life. This is a dog that could handle himself against any lab. He wanted no part of this sort of ferociousness.

We sent her off for training, thousands of dollars, nothing helped. She did **** her way and we loved her for it. Her downfall was she hated kids. She bit her first kid when she was 6 months old. Another a few years ago when some stranger 10 year old charged my wife for no reason while we were out in public. From day 1 she was shaky with kids. We hoped when we had kids she'd recognize that they were ours (as so many people promised she would) and adopt them into our pack. For 9 months she was "ok" with him. She mainly retreated when she felt uncomfortable, but I was never comfortable with it.

At the same time, she was my hunting partner. We went to the lease together and she would run ALL DAY leading the way. Always circling back to keep tabs on me. In the fall and late winter we were in the national forest squirrel hunting. She was my buddy. Best ****ing dog of all time.

This morning, with us all working from home, my wife and I are taking shifts watching our 10m old. On my shift, he climbed up his high chair and my sleeping BMC dove over the couch and tackled him. Pinning him to the ground and mouthing him while he screamed helplessly.

He's fine, Praise God! No real damage other than some scrapes and bruises, but how could I be so ****ing stupid to think I could manage this situation. We tried for the past 6 months to re-home her, but we had to be careful because it's hard to make people understand that her hating kids means she HATES kids.

Anyways, she's dead now. That's the last dog I own unless I someday own 100+ acres where they can be dogs.
JobSecurity
AG
Big yike
agsalaska
AG
I had a pointer mutt dog for 13 years that we had to put down for growling and snapping at my six week old daughter.

She sounded a lot like yours. She was totally awesome, but barely controllable. As the vet said she bit, she didn't bark.

Anyway now that I have kids, and in hindsight, I would never own a dog like that again. I loved her a ton but she was a loaded shotgun. I bet you will see that dog the same way.

I asked my favorite Uncle one time how he only had good dogs. He looked at me with the most serious face and said 'Cause I shoot all of the bad ones.' I've lived by that ever since.

Sorry man. It sucks.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Woods Ag
AG
Recent Story:

We moved into a new neighborhood about a year ago. My neighbor moved in a few months later with 4 dogs. 1 being a pit bull.

We both reinforced the fence because my dog doesn't back down and his dog is a bull. Anyways in Feb, my dog is leashed to a pole int he front yard while I redo my flower bed and she starts going ballistic begging to go back inside. So we go inside and she runs to the back door. I make a drink, let her out the back, head back out the front. As I go back to work I can her dogs screaming from my neighbors yard. I finally snap that something serious is going on and look over the fence to see my dog latched onto the pit and the other 3 dogs are tearing at her.

The pit had broken the fence down and was in my yard and she chased them back.

She was ****ed up when I got her out of there. The 3 dogs had tore her shoulder and face to hell and it cost me a pretty penny to fix, but 4on1, that BMC had the pitbull by the head and he wasn't going anywhere and she was in it to win it until I got there and started throwing dogs all over to break it up.
Canyon99
Page one
Wodanaz
AG
God damn, man. Not that you need reassurance that you did the right thing, but you did the right thing. On the other hand, God damn, man.
Woods Ag
AG
I agree, Ag. I told my wife a long time ago, if anyone else hunter or otherwise would have gotten this dog they would have shot her by 1 year old. Even the trainer said "some dogs, just won't ever get it." It's not a testament to her breed, she was opposite of what you expect from a BMC

but I'm loyal to a fault and was adamant that I could manage it. Stupidity on my part.
HumbleAg04
AG
Kids > dogs. Tough situation and no good option. Did what you had to do.

Don't expect many to feel that way though.

Page 1.

BrazosDog02
AG
This post.

****, man.

Uh, sorry **** went sideways. Gawdam.

I have all Black Mouth Cur and Catahoulas. They all have their "thing" but we love em anyway. I had one, my bestest friend, you run by hi squealing and hollering, he was going to bite you. Many were warned. Many found out the hard way. He finally died of old age and hip problems, he was my baby and my texags name sake.
McInnis
AG
Quote:

Anyways, she's dead now. That's the last dog I own unless I someday own 100+ acres where they can be dogs.

I know you're hurting but what happened with that bmc was really off the wall strange. Please take some time then reconsider getting another dog.
Woods Ag
AG
Yeah, a BMC doesn't **** around with horseplay.

I've crossfit for the past 5 years. I've had a gym in my garage the past couple of years and my cur would attend daily workouts. I didn't have a choice, she'd tear down the door if I didn't allow it. But, Handstand walk with her around and she would tackle you to the ground and may nip your ass. It's weird that they don't tolerate things they deem unsafe.
Bird Poo
AG
You made the right decision. I would have gotten rid of her after the first bite. I've seen scars from people that were mauled as kids. Not worth it.
giddings_ag_06
AG
You did the right thing.
normaleagle05
AG
Good on you. After today I may have to do the same.
Old Sarge
AG
Had a Blue Lacy that got meaner as she got older. Worked with the Breeder over the phone for years after she was no longer a pup, trying to work through the "issues".

Finally, he and I met at a ranch and he brought his best dog (lacy) for them to hang together and he could work them some (light). The whole time he was "all you need to do is this/that" Nice guy and good breeder/trainer. I told him before we met that day she was not coming home with me. She had tried to bite a few kids, mean like, besides our own, and my wife. After he worked with her for about an hour and a half, he walked up to me and it was completely different. His thumb was bloodied. He told me that dog had no place with kids. Ever. Said he could place her with some blood trackers that used Lacys, and hoped that worked for the dog. He did not have to tell me, that if it did not, she'd be shot.

I did not care at that point. That was a mean, bad dog. If he did not take her, she'd been driven to the deer lease on the way home. One way. That dog was not coming back in our house.

OP, that sucks it did not work for you. It really does. But sometimes the right thing is the hard thing to do.

Our next dog was a rescue. Some terrier Chiuahwa mix. ON the bigger side of those two. Best damn family dog we've ever had. Only bieatch is that she's a runner. Can't seem to live without us, but if she gets out.....

Scotty88
AG
Not your fault for sure. Over 20 years of dealing with people and their "best friends" this problem has come up multiple times. Some dogs don't/ can't/ won't get over their "deal" with kids. It is super sad but you did what had to be done...some people don't have the "stones" to take care of business and pawn the dogs off to "rescues".

You did what had to be done...not unlike the boy in "Old Yeller"
PA24
AG
Tough love but nothing else u could have done and thank God u put the animal to sleep before something really bad happened.

Good dad!
Serious Lee
shouldve found some hog hunters to give her to. i know a guy near tyler that goes through catch dogs like AA batteries.
Woods Ag
AG
I did. He said he'd throw her in a pin with a hog, if she held her own, he'd keep her and if not he'd shoot her.

I agreed and then he went silent and never returned my calls for a meet. She was 42lbs in tip-top shape and would have been the perfect hog dog in a pack. She'd bay a hog for ****ing days, good luck catching her.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sorry to hear that. I know not everyone is going to agree with what you did and maybe the dog could've been re-homed, but at least we won't have to read a headline about another dog mauling an infant or toddler in the news. You made a decision to keep your family safe and I applaud that.
Cromagnum
AG
Humans > dogs. Cant fault you there.
smstork1007
AG
You do what you gotta do, but running to the OB to get support/justification for killing your pet, a few attaboys, or whatever you were looking for, I'll just never understand. Sorry it came to this, for you and the dog.
Woods Ag
AG
Really wasn't looking for anything.

I had a few whiskey's when I wrote this last night and I wanted to talk about a dog I admired very much for her spirit and drive and never quit attitude.

More than anything, probably, I wanted to get out that I knew this dog wasn't going to work with my kid, but my stupidity and unwillingness to do what was necessary at an earlier time put my kids life at risk. Yesterday, I fixed the problem.

Anyways, sorry for the long posts last night.
The Fife
I understand, I'm probably a few months from putting down my almost 15 year old dog and sometimes you've gotta vent somewhere. My kids are 1 and 3 so I might end up here as well.

I'd have done the same thing in your situation. People > animals, especially defenseless kids.
BlueSmoke
Oh, Jesus......
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
No call to Cesar Milan?
AggieOO
Cromagnum said:

Humans > dogs. Cant fault you there.
i understand your sentiment, but this doesn't always hold true. there are a lot of people in this world that are pure pieces of *****
John Cocktolstoy
smstork1007 said:

You do what you gotta do, but running to the OB to get support/justification for killing your pet, a few attaboys, or whatever you were looking for, I'll just never understand. Sorry it came to this, for you and the dog.
All I can say is Torbush.

Some people are just better together and are ok with expressing things to folks that have the same likes.

Sorry Woods, a good dog gone. But you made the right decision. Don't let one goofball keep you from venting here. We all learn from each other.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
We have two dogs ( a 6 year old and a 2 year old) and just had our first child (8 month old). I have always maintained the same position on this while hoping I never have to make good on my word. I love my dogs something fierce and I'd go more than a country mile for them but they lost rank the day my son was born.
I'm sorry you had to make this decision but if it's any consolation you made the right choice, albeit the hard choice. That's the mark of a man in my book. I guarantee if things had gone wrong later down the line the regret would far outweigh the pain you're feeling right now.
In time you'll be comforted watching your child grow and play and laugh. You'll always have the memories of your 7 good years with your pup to look back on.
I don't agree that all humans are greater than all dogs but when it comes to your children it's a vastly different equation. Some people won't agree with this or you but don't pay them any mind. I don't understand their math anyway.

I'd be torn all to hell if I were in your shoes. I feel for you brother. Have a brown water for me.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
rlb28
AG
Over the last 20 years we've had two crazy dogs.

1. Australian shepherd - very aggressive (more than most), who nipped children, even my kids who were older. Had food aggression and would fight any dog.

2. Doberman - Took her back to the breeder to train when she was old enough. Got a call a few weeks later and they said she was untrainable. We had 6 acres and that dog ran free and didn't cause a bit of trouble for us. In the end, she escaped the fence and was gone for a week or so. One day we're in the yard and she came limping up the driveway, turned sideways and her jaw was hanging down broken and her guts were hanging out. Vet said a pack of wild dogs or a coyote got her. Can you imagine that fight. Had to put here down.
Furlock Bones
AG
smstork1007 said:

this is a dumbass post.
spud1910
AG
You did the right thing. It's tough, but you did what you needed to do.
S.A. Aggie
AG
OP, you did the right thing. I'd kill any dog that even tried to bit or intimidate my wife, kid or grandkid..
Badace52
AG
Sorry for your loss. Stitched up too many kids in the ER to think any differently and was there when one didn't get the chance to get stitches. That one was not my patient, and the whole thing really rocked my co-resident's world. You absolutely did the right thing.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LCE
AG
Best dog? And it bit 2 other kids earlier?

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.