Outdoors
Sponsored by

Why is there a run on guns & ammo right now?

18,743 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dr_boogs
Buck Turgidson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but why is there a run on guns & ammo right now? Its a temporary flu-like bug. This is not a Democrat being elected POTUS or a mass shooting scare. This is one I don't get at all.
highvelocity
AG
Because people are stupid
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am shooting virus particles as they hit my fenceline. Then I hang them up on the fence as a warning to other viruses. Can't do this without ample ammo and guns.
P.U.T.U
AG
A lot of cities said they were screening calls and things like minor thefts and such would not warrant an officer coming out. With some people forecasting over 30% unemployment things may get a little crazy
Ag_07
AG
People (especially those who don't already have guns and ammo) are worried.

When the lower and middle classes start to feel the pressure of supporting their families without income it could get ugly.
EMY92
AG
2 months ago, most people would have laughed at you if you told them to buy an extra package or two of toilet paper. Now, people are lining up an hour or more before the stores open in the hopes of buying one pack.

Now, shelves are empty, people are on edge. It is most likely going to blow over and we will all go on with our lives.

However, if there is a disruption to the supply chain, do you think the people without will just sit there peacefully waiting for Walmart to reopen or do you think some of them may decide to take matters into their own hands? IF that happens, they'll most likely head for the neighborhoods that are more likely to have what they want.

In the unlikely event that happens, it's much better to have what you need to defend yourself and your family than wishing you had taken action when you had a chance. Kind of like stocking up on toilet paper a month ago.
Morpholino
AG
Because they weren't prepared before the Coronapocalypse hit.
Ag_07
AG
And lol at calling this a 'flu like bug'

Hard to believe there are people who look at what's currently happening and still have this line of thinking.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Every time go look at Academy.com I see the Keltec P17 and think if they had only fixed their issues, ramped up production and released it sooner they could be selling $200 22LR pistols like hotcakes.
In other words, for $200 I want to shoot one too.
FSGuide
P.U.T.U said:

A lot of cities said they were screening calls and things like minor thefts and such would not warrant an officer coming out. With some people forecasting over 30% unemployment things may get a little crazy

I saw a legitimate report where at least one ****hole city (Cincinnati or Cleveland) police department announced that they would no longer be responding to a list of crimes. Breaking & Entering was on that list.
lazuras_dc
AG
P.U.T.U said:

It's robbin' season...

Protect yourselves.
P.U.T.U
AG
FSGuide said:

P.U.T.U said:

I saw a legitimate report where at least one ****hole city (Cincinnati or Cleveland) police department announced that they would no longer be responding to a list of crimes. Breaking & Entering was on that list.

Several DFW cities have, my city sent out a list two weeks ago minor crimes would not warrant a visit and everything would be screened first
EMY92
AG
FSGuide said:

P.U.T.U said:

Boston, Philly, and I think Houston and Dallas are pretty much doing the same.
CanyonAg77
AG
schmellba99
AG
Ag_07 said:

And lol at calling this a 'flu like bug'

Hard to believe there are people who look at what's currently happening and still have this line of thinking.
Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug, especially as more data comes out and more and more people are coming through infections fine on the other side.

But hey, let's parrot the pandemic mantra for a virus that has, so far, killed less people worldwide than the common flue does annually and we esitmate has infected .00107% of the world.
schmellba99
AG
highvelocity said:

To expand on this - it is compounded by the actions of an even stupider set of people running various governments that are overreacting and doing what others above have listed and essentially stating that law enforcement is taking a break and you are on your own.

Regardless, let's look at the silver lining - a whole lot of people that ordinarily would either be neutral to firearms or somewhat against them are the likely buyers at the moment, and next time some dbag Brady bunch proposal comes out about outlawing civilian ownership, etc. - these people are going to have this event fresh on their minds and will most likely tell the gun grabbers to pound sand.
highvelocity
AG
damn good point, probably the only potential positive coming out of this **** show
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
CanyonAg77
AG
Or, conversely, there may be a lot of people who really don't want a gun, and will be selling their panic purchases at a discount in a few months.
AggieStan
This times 100
schmellba99
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Or, conversely, there may be a lot of people who really don't want a gun, and will be selling their panic purchases at a discount in a few months.
Possible. But then they go out and buy again during the next panic, wash rinse and repeat.
Buck Turgidson
1. I prepped up when we first elected Obama and it became obvious that the executive branch and half the legislative branch wanted to abolish the second amendment. If you haven't prepped by now, it seems funny that a virus would be the thing that gets you moving.

2. Have you noticed the same leftist city governments that have decided not to protect their citizens are ALSO trying to shut down the gun stores? A suspicious person might think that they really ARE out to kill us.
rootube
AG
P.U.T.U said:

FSGuide said:

P.U.T.U said:

Several DFW cities have, my city sent out a list two weeks ago minor crimes would not warrant a visit and everything would be screened first
Not sure what's worse the panic or the misinformation.

After a 1 min google search below is what Cincinnati is actually doing. The issue may be that at some point it's possible that some cities could have too many sick police/firefighters/EMS personnel to respond effectively. To suggest that first responders are lazy or don't care is irresponsible. If you are relying on the police for the things below you will be disappointed before the panic and after.

Cincinnati police announced Monday that these calls will be referred for online or phone reporting:
  • Assault reports where there is no medical attention necessary and suspect is no longer present
  • Breaking and entering reports where there are no suspect(s) or the possibility of property recovery
  • Criminal damaging reports
  • Dog bites
  • Lost property
  • Lost or stolen license plates
  • Menacing reports, unless a suspect is expected, threatens to return or is part of the elements of domestic violence
  • Phone harassment
  • Property damage

rootube
AG
schmellba99 said:

highvelocity said:

To expand on this - it is compounded by the actions of an even stupider set of people running various governments that are overreacting and doing what others above have listed and essentially stating that law enforcement is taking a break and you are on your own.

Regardless, let's look at the silver lining - a whole lot of people that ordinarily would either be neutral to firearms or somewhat against them are the likely buyers at the moment, and next time some dbag Brady bunch proposal comes out about outlawing civilian ownership, etc. - these people are going to have this event fresh on their minds and will most likely tell the gun grabbers to pound sand.
You are wrong and this whole thread really pisses me off. I'll give you an example. My brother is a firefighter in a small town. They don't have a ton of money so they are short-staffed and rely on the Firefighters to also function as the city EMS. Now, who do you think is at the highest risk of contracting COVID if not EMS. Now let's say a small 10% of the Fire/EMS population gets sick. Suddenly in a small town, you have a big issue if there is a fire. Not only is nobody taking a break but these are the people on the front line and we should be grateful they are there not taking potshots for the comfort of your living room.
cz308
highvelocity said:

Still the best answer.
FC12
What are you talking about? Since when are FF/EMS law enforcement?
P.U.T.U
AG
I live in Sasche and they took it down from their website but they sent out a letter saying thefts under $150 or not in progress is something they would not send anyone out for. To me it was dumb to post in the first place but they let the cat out of the bag. Doesn't matter to me since I am working from home and already armed.

I see more citizens that can legally carry and eventually get training a good thing. And as others stated if the people buying guns right now get comfortable and feel they do not need them later than we get a discount on the guns they sell in the future.
LEJ
Quote:

Now let's say a small 10% of the Fire/EMS population gets sick. Suddenly in a small town, you have a big issue if there is a fire. Not only is nobody taking a break but these are the people on the front line and we should be grateful they are there not taking potshots for the comfort of your living room.

This narrative should be questioned. It's been pushed hard. Has it truly happened, anywhere?
CT'97
AG
highvelocity said:

I think the better answer is people are scared. Scared people to irrational things, intelligence doesn't play a role.
P.U.T.U
AG
And I do not blame the cities for screening calls, look at HFD where they had a 49% increase in COVID yesterday. We need first responders like we need medical professionals in this time, just don't release a letter to the public about not coming out for minor offenses. That causes more of a panic than someone calling in and having the dispatcher tell the citizen the reason for the police not coming out.
rootube
AG
FC12 said:

What are you talking about? Since when are FF/EMS law enforcement?
Because it's exactly the same. I used FF/EMS as an example because I have a more personal connection. They are all first responders who work in shifts and are expected to respond 24/7 in emergencies. People in this category are critical and also the most vulnerable. I guess my question to you would be why do you distinguish between law enforcement and FF/EMS?
Charlie Murphy
EMY92 said:

2 months ago, most people would have laughed at you if you told them to buy an extra package or two of toilet paper. Now, people are lining up an hour or more before the stores open in the hopes of buying one pack.

Now, shelves are empty, people are on edge. It is most likely going to blow over and we will all go on with our lives.

Not sure if youve been in Grocery stores in the past 10 days but shelves are not empty. Specifically to Houston, HEB is going to have to start begging people to buy certain items.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
FC12
This thread is talking about why there is a run on guns and ammo...not bandaids and tourniquets. You are the only one taking about EMS. Everyone else is talking about police response to crimes.
A FF isn't going to come arrest someone for a crime...neither is EMS. The only gun toting fire service member is the FM. So again...not sure why you're on a tangent about FF/EMS.
CanyonAg77
AG
CT'97 said:

highvelocity said:

I think the better answer is people are scared. Scared people to irrational things, intelligence doesn't play a role.
Even the most rational among us, have to argue with our lizard brain when we see empty store shelves.
CT'97
AG
LEJ said:

Quote:

Now let's say a small 10% of the Fire/EMS population gets sick. Suddenly in a small town, you have a big issue if there is a fire. Not only is nobody taking a break but these are the people on the front line and we should be grateful they are there not taking potshots for the comfort of your living room.

This narrative should be questioned. It's been pushed hard. Has it truly happened, anywhere?
I have a friend who is a fire fighter in Tarrent county. They have been making COVID calls for over two weeks and are seeing a reduction in force because they are being infected and are not allowing sick fire fighters to come to work. He didn't say how many but was worried of exactly what is described above. The fear is we are at the beginning of one wave and there will be more waves with little chance for recovery between.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.