Outdoors
Sponsored by

Why is there a run on guns & ammo right now?

18,852 Views | 156 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dr_boogs
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rootube said:

schmellba99 said:

highvelocity said:

Because people are stupid
To expand on this - it is compounded by the actions of an even stupider set of people running various governments that are overreacting and doing what others above have listed and essentially stating that law enforcement is taking a break and you are on your own.

Regardless, let's look at the silver lining - a whole lot of people that ordinarily would either be neutral to firearms or somewhat against them are the likely buyers at the moment, and next time some dbag Brady bunch proposal comes out about outlawing civilian ownership, etc. - these people are going to have this event fresh on their minds and will most likely tell the gun grabbers to pound sand.
You are wrong and this whole thread really pisses me off. I'll give you an example. My brother is a firefighter in a small town. They don't have a ton of money so they are short-staffed and rely on the Firefighters to also function as the city EMS. Now, who do you think is at the highest risk of contracting COVID if not EMS. Now let's say a small 10% of the Fire/EMS population gets sick. Suddenly in a small town, you have a big issue if there is a fire. Not only is nobody taking a break but these are the people on the front line and we should be grateful they are there not taking potshots for the comfort of your living room.
So why don't we react the exact same way to every communicable disease out there that can do the exact same thing with respec to transmission and apparnetly decimating our uber necessary services than we have done with this flu? Or for that matter, why haven't we willfully destoryed our entire economy for more serious diseases?

Sorry if you think I'm wring, but I don't care. The extreme overreaction and shutting down of services is stupid, especially for somethign that hasn't proven to be anywhere near the doom and gloom that was predicted (by the guy that came out and stated he had a huge "ruh-roh!" in his calcs after the fact to boot).

EMS is at the highest risk of contracting anything at any given point in time, nothing changes on that front. Shutting down the economy and LEO departments making it pulic they aren't going to do their jobs is stupid, plain and simple.
P.U.T.U
AG
I know of 2 HFD stations that have at least half of their guys on quarantine, so it is happening.

To me you need to learn how to make people bleed and know how to stop it. Basic first aid and practice with a tourniquet goes a long way.
cavscout96
AG
CT'97 said:

highvelocity said:

I think the better answer is people are scared. Scared people to irrational things, intelligence doesn't play a role.
intelligent people generally don;t get scared for no real reason and do irrational things.
rootube
AG
FC12 said:

This thread is talking about why there is a run on guns and ammo...not bandaids and tourniquets. You are the only one taking about EMS. Everyone else is talking about police response to crimes.
A FF isn't going to come arrest someone for a crime...neither is EMS. The only gun toting fire service member is the FM. So again...not sure why you're on a tangent about FF/EMS.

OK. Since you appear to be unable to wrap your mind around the common thread between first responders. What is your opinion on the comment on this very thread that the police are "taking a break"? My position is that this is horse**** and that cities are taking reasonable precautions to ensure that we are using a vulnerable and finite resource in the most effective manner possible.
CT'97
AG
cavscout96 said:

CT'97 said:

highvelocity said:

I think the better answer is people are scared. Scared people to irrational things, intelligence doesn't play a role.
intelligent people generally don;t get scared for no real reason and do irrational things.
This could not be further from the truth. Intelligent people get scared all the time and make bad decisions.
CT'97
AG
schmellba99 said:

rootube said:

schmellba99 said:

highvelocity said:

To expand on this - it is compounded by the actions of an even stupider set of people running various governments that are overreacting and doing what others above have listed and essentially stating that law enforcement is taking a break and you are on your own.

Regardless, let's look at the silver lining - a whole lot of people that ordinarily would either be neutral to firearms or somewhat against them are the likely buyers at the moment, and next time some dbag Brady bunch proposal comes out about outlawing civilian ownership, etc. - these people are going to have this event fresh on their minds and will most likely tell the gun grabbers to pound sand.
You are wrong and this whole thread really pisses me off. I'll give you an example. My brother is a firefighter in a small town. They don't have a ton of money so they are short-staffed and rely on the Firefighters to also function as the city EMS. Now, who do you think is at the highest risk of contracting COVID if not EMS. Now let's say a small 10% of the Fire/EMS population gets sick. Suddenly in a small town, you have a big issue if there is a fire. Not only is nobody taking a break but these are the people on the front line and we should be grateful they are there not taking potshots for the comfort of your living room.
So why don't we react the exact same way to every communicable disease out there that can do the exact same thing with respec to transmission and apparnetly decimating our uber necessary services than we have done with this flu? Or for that matter, why haven't we willfully destoryed our entire economy for more serious diseases?

Sorry if you think I'm wring, but I don't care. The extreme overreaction and shutting down of services is stupid, especially for somethign that hasn't proven to be anywhere near the doom and gloom that was predicted (by the guy that came out and stated he had a huge "ruh-roh!" in his calcs after the fact to boot).

EMS is at the highest risk of contracting anything at any given point in time, nothing changes on that front. Shutting down the economy and LEO departments making it pulic they aren't going to do their jobs is stupid, plain and simple.
Get your head out of the sand!
This is not like any other communicable disease we have dealt with in recent years. I could quote you the transmission rate numbers but you don't care about facts. Keep denying this and when it's all over be willing to eat crow.
EMY92
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

EMY92 said:

2 months ago, most people would have laughed at you if you told them to buy an extra package or two of toilet paper. Now, people are lining up an hour or more before the stores open in the hopes of buying one pack.

Now, shelves are empty, people are on edge. It is most likely going to blow over and we will all go on with our lives.

Not sure if youve been in Grocery stores in the past 10 days but shelves are not empty. Specifically to Houston, HEB is going to have to start begging people to buy certain items.
I have not been in the store in 3 weeks, but I have done the curbside pickups.

Many items are not available to order and I have had many items omitted or substituted. It's better now than 2 weeks ago, but you still can't go expecting to get everything you want from the store.
Slamn Sharpe
schmellba99 said:

Ag_07 said:

And lol at calling this a 'flu like bug'

Hard to believe there are people who look at what's currently happening and still have this line of thinking.
Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug, especially as more data comes out and more and more people are coming through infections fine on the other side.

But hey, let's parrot the pandemic mantra for a virus that has, so far, killed less people worldwide than the common flue does annually and we esitmate has infected .00107% of the world.

Something tells me this won't age well.
cavscout96
AG
I guess that depends on your definition of intelligence.

"fear not".... "be not afraid"...etc., etc.

the way I figure it, fear comes from a lack of understanding. A lack of understanding follows from a lack of good information and a the ability to process it from an unknown into a know or assumed.

Lack of understanding and ignorance are, largely, a result of failure to seek out truth. Intelligent people seek out truth and synthesize it into known or assumed quantities and possibilities and, therefore, do not succumb to fear and panic.

So, no, intelligent people DON'T panic and do stupid things.

FC12
You and I both know the "taking a break" was not meant as they're sitting back with margaritas. Of course departments are being 'smart' with their resources and not wanting to run crews to sickness...and with that being the case, knowing that the PD may not show up in areas, people are buying guns and ammo - the topic of the thread.
carl spacklers hat
To answer the OP's question, the reason we are seeing the run on guns and ammo is the same reason we are seeing a run on TP and hand sanitizer: we are living in a time of uncertainty. Nobody knows what things will look like a week from now, much less 3 or 4 months down the road. If we have disruptions in the supply chain of basic items like bleach and toilet paper, can a similar disruption occur in our food supply chain? You want to see the s**t hit the fan? Make people go without food for a few days.
bam02
AG
I am a med device rep and was in a surgery at a large hospital in San Antonio this time yesterday. The staff there said they have TWO patients with corona. That's just one anecdote but that doesn't sound like pandemic numbers.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

CT'97 said:

highvelocity said:

Even the most rational among us, have to argue with our lizard brain when we see empty store shelves.
Very true. The difference is the most rational among us win that argument, while the dummies lose.
Slamn Sharpe
As far as guns and ammo go and the fierce uptick in purchasing. It comes down to eliminating the possibility of being in a situation where you actually need it and it's no longer available. No one knows exactly where this is all going with the virus and its totality.

I think we're seeing the "The Walking Dead" effect. A very popular tv series that so many have seen over the years. People for years have thrown around "what would you do if this happened" and now this virus has people thinking doomsday/prepper scenario like their favorite tv show.

I would rather have too much of a bunch of things than not enough of one thing. We're comfortable here at our home and are prepared for most of what could happen if things spiral out of control.
CT'97
AG
cavscout96 said:

I completely disagree with you. I have seen very intelligent, well trained soldiers, loose their **** the first time a bullet flew over their head. Mean while a dumb as a box of rocks private sat their and didn't bat an eye. Intelligence is the ability to acquire and use knowledge. That alone doesn't make you free from panic.
CT'97
AG
bam02 said:

I am a med device rep and was in a surgery at a large hospital in San Antonio this time yesterday. The staff there said they have TWO patients with corona. That's just one anecdote but that doesn't sound like pandemic numbers.
But yet New Orleans is at full bed capacity and expects to be at 100% ventilator use before Friday. So should we ignore what's happening a few hour drive away and go on about our day like normal?
Slamn Sharpe
I can think of some highly intelligent people who panic as bad as anyone I know. Its annoying as f-bomb

Meanwhile this board thinks I'm an idiot and I'm cool l, calm and collective in high intensity scenarios, to include the military reference above

The entire truck would lose it when we hit an IED and I'd be the guy that immediately went into what I was trained to do in an IED scenario.
Charlie Murphy
EMY92 said:

Charlie Murphy said:

EMY92 said:

2 months ago, most people would have laughed at you if you told them to buy an extra package or two of toilet paper. Now, people are lining up an hour or more before the stores open in the hopes of buying one pack.

Now, shelves are empty, people are on edge. It is most likely going to blow over and we will all go on with our lives.

Not sure if youve been in Grocery stores in the past 10 days but shelves are not empty. Specifically to Houston, HEB is going to have to start begging people to buy certain items.

Many items are not available to order and I have had many items omitted or substituted. It's better now than 2 weeks ago, but you still can't go expecting to get everything you want from the store.
Yes you can, I did last Saturday and will next Saturday as well. Only substitution was a slightly different cut of pork than I wanted.
cavscout96
AG
CT'97 said:

cavscout96 said:

I completely disagree with you. I have seen very intelligent, well trained soldiers, loose their **** the first time a bullet flew over their head. Mean while a dumb as a box of rocks private sat their and didn't bat an eye. Intelligence is the ability to acquire and use knowledge. That alone doesn't make you free from panic.
Yes. that's essentially what I said. People who fall into mass hysteria and panic are, by definition, not acquiring and applying knowledge and skills. Thus, they are not exhibiting intelligence. Thanks for making my point.

Book smarts and training don't make one inherently intelligent. There is an application component, a practicum if you will, to demonstrate your level of intelligence. Panic buying ammunition and toilet paper do not demonstrate a very high level of intelligence given the facts of this particular situation.
cavscout96
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

EMY92 said:

Charlie Murphy said:

EMY92 said:

Yes you can, I did last Saturday and will next Saturday as well. Only substitution was a slightly different cut of pork than I wanted.
want, or need?
LEJ
CT'97 said:

LEJ said:

Quote:

Now let's say a small 10% of the Fire/EMS population gets sick. Suddenly in a small town, you have a big issue if there is a fire. Not only is nobody taking a break but these are the people on the front line and we should be grateful they are there not taking potshots for the comfort of your living room.

This narrative should be questioned. It's been pushed hard. Has it truly happened, anywhere?
I have a friend who is a fire fighter in Tarrent county. They have been making COVID calls for over two weeks and are seeing a reduction in force because they are being infected and are not allowing sick fire fighters to come to work. He didn't say how many but was worried of exactly what is described above. The fear is we are at the beginning of one wave and there will be more waves with little chance for recovery between.

Thanks for the info. That's what I was looking for.
LEJ
P.U.T.U said:

I know of 2 HFD stations that have at least half of their guys on quarantine, so it is happening.

To me you need to learn how to make people bleed and know how to stop it. Basic first aid and practice with a tourniquet goes a long way.

10-4
LEJ
This is why you should join a 2nd Amendment group.

https://gunowners.org/na03312020/
proc
AG
I have had pretty good luck finding .300 subs online today at fair prices, so there's that.
I Am A Critic
LEJ said:

Quote:

Now let's say a small 10% of the Fire/EMS population gets sick. Suddenly in a small town, you have a big issue if there is a fire. Not only is nobody taking a break but these are the people on the front line and we should be grateful they are there not taking potshots for the comfort of your living room.

This narrative should be questioned. It's been pushed hard. Has it truly happened, anywhere?
NYC. A lot of medical personnel and first responders have been infected.
Username checks out.
LEJ
I Am A Critic said:

LEJ said:

Quote:

NYC. A lot of medical personnel and first responders have been infected.

Understood. That's a completely different scenario though.
rootube
AG
LEJ said:

P.U.T.U said:

10-4
As long as we are going to challenge narratives. There appears to be a group, including several on this thread, who still believe this is no big deal and we just need to suck it up and get on with normal life. Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. How do you feel about that "Narrative"?
LEJ
rootube said:

LEJ said:

P.U.T.U said:

10-4
As long as we are going to challenge narratives. There appears to be a group, including several on this thread, who still believe this is no big deal and we just need to suck it up and get on with normal life. Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. How do you feel about that "Narrative"?

I feel it's ALWAYS appropriate to challenge narratives, esp those that are potentially more dangerous than the problem they're trying to address!
Slamn Sharpe
rootube said:

LEJ said:

P.U.T.U said:

10-4

Yep, and they're the ones talking about "intelligence" too.
atm86
AG
https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/michael-berry/content/2020-03-31-mayor-turner-to-criminals-chill-wait-until-the-pandemic-is-over/

Chill? That's the best?
LEJ
I saw that vid. Brilliant!

Advisors: uh sir, try not to say anything... too stupid.

Turner: Hold my crack pipe!
AzAg80
AG
One of the "silver linings" of this very dark cloud...maybe more people are waking up to the fact that if/when society breaks down, personal defense will fall on their shoulders. My understanding is a lot of these are first time gun owners -- good sign for 2A rights going forward.
mpl35
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

EMY92 said:

Charlie Murphy said:

EMY92 said:

good for you. I haven't been able to buy what I wanted. Zero flour or rice. Plenty of steaks. No frozen foods. Limited breads. Last time they had no chicken. No TP. No paper towels either.

Time before that one store had no produce except tomatoes.

Don't try and tell other people what they can and can't get based on your fortunate experience.
cavscout96
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

rootube said:

LEJ said:

P.U.T.U said:

10-4

Yep, and they're the ones talking about "intelligence" too.

Blindly believing everything you hear or see on television is far from a sign of intelligence.
Old Sarge
AG
I know I am late to this thread.

But a few/lot of people have lost sight that some elected politicians, mostly on the state/local level of some of our libtard states openly "requested" martial law. Not the National Guard. Martial Law. Big difference. However, you can't find any clips of it anymore. Scrubbed.

Thankfully, none of the National Officials have called for it. Yet.

However, when people hear that, and I know I was not the only one that picked up on it, it raises some eyebrows. I can honestly say, I have not purchased any more guns, or ammo, since this crisis happened. So, don't blame me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.