Outdoors
Sponsored by

Waterproof tent?

3,813 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by txags92
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for a two man tent. Priorities are ease of set up, being actually waterproof, able to withstand strong wind in open areas. Will be used on the beach. Weight is no concern, don't mind spending more if it's worth the cost. Available on Amazon would be a plus. Thanks!
bedofbrass33
AG
How overkill will you go? I've got this 12x12 that fits two cots and two adults' gear well.

Has stood up to several nights of rain and two documented nights of 45+ mph in Big Bend. That wind went on for hours.

Very easy to set up. Stake the eight loops around the base. Put up the center pole. Stake the guy wires. I can set it up alone in about 10 minutes.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outback-Lodge-Tent-x/2432880.uts?slotId=14
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Big Agnes Copper Spur is good tent for the money. It's no Hilleberg but didn't think you were looking for one in the Arctic.

I backpack with a Tarptent and hunt in a Kifaru Sawtooth. Probably not what you are looking for but options nonetheless.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I'm hoping my tent will do the trick for our excursion CS. I've got about 8 bottles of scotch guard I'm coating my tent with.
bam02
AG
Where are you and this other man planning to use the tent?
Goodest Poster
AG
When i was looking for a tent for Alaska trip, i probably spent 4 hours reading reviews. If i was sleeping in it for 12 days up there, I wanted to be right.

Almost anything Alps Mountaineering, with a rain fly will be good.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Look at a company called Snugpak. Mfers know how to make tents that will keep you dry.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
bam02 said:

Where are you and this other man planning to use the tent?

We aren't using the same tent. But we will be on the same fishing/camping trip this weekend.
jellycheese
AG
Available on amazon might not be your best option if you're planning to use it this weekend. Prime shipping has been running longer than the standard 2 days.

Might just go with the $40 Walmart tent for this trip. I don't think you'd have any issues for a couple nights, even with rain and wind.
HarleySpoon
AG
This thread brings back memories. Back in the late 60's and early 70's my family would sleep all six of us in a six person canvas tent. Not too many things in this world would make my dad angrier than one of us touching (accidentally or otherwise) the top portion of the tent when it was raining and watching it start to drip.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Look at a company called Snugpak. Mfers know how to make tents that will keep you dry.
snugpak makes good stuff. Also agree with the ALPS suggestion. But really you're car camping at the beach not climbing everest...get a walmart dome and put a queen size inflatable mattress in it
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
NRD09 said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

snugpak makes good stuff. Also agree with the ALPS suggestion. But really you're car camping at the beach not climbing everest...get a walmart dome and put a queen size inflatable mattress in it

Not car camping. Taking a couple boats across the bay, camping on the island for two nights.
CS78
I normally just take a cot and sleep under an easy up. Carry a bottle of permethrin and spray down the campsite for skeeters. Last trip they still gave me a tough time. Think I figured out it was because it was water based. Got some oil based now.

Ordered this one. Looked pretty good for the price. Itll always be used for boat or 4wd access. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B7MPL5E?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I suggested Big Agnes Copper Spur above. For two people I would get a 3-4 man. A two man tent will only house 2 people, not 2 people and gear.

https://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes-copper-spur-ul3-ultra-light-tent-3-person-3-season-bag00b5?skid=BAG00B5-GRA-ONESIZ&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6YmlnIGFnbmVzIGNvcHBlciBzcHVyOjE6NzpiaWcgYWduZXMgY29wcGVyIHNwdXI=

Cabelas Outfitter tents are good too, but heavy.

Tarp Tent is another good one. They are very popular with through hikers out west.
CS78
Thanks. Just me plus some gear.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Not car camping. Taking a couple boats across the bay, camping on the island for two nights.
cool, but I'd still do the cheap dome + air mattress. My tent, air mattress, electric pump and backup foot pump all fit in a plano footlocker

If you want to swing the other direction, it's hard to beat the black diamond mega bug+mega light combo, or the golite shangrila nest+fly (is that dude really out of business again!?)...both of these options are kind of expensive but tons of space and shed wind really well. They do have to be staked out but setup is really easy
edit: nvm I see you ordered one

Mad island?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
CS78 said:

Thanks. Just me plus some gear.
If you get a light weight 3 man you will be amazed at how much more comfortable it is to have some room.
D&C 2002
AG
Good choice on the ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr. I have the 3 person and it's our main backpacking tent. The 3 person is great for 2 people - plenty of room for our sleeping bags and the vestibule makes space for our packs. The 2 person looks to just be a little smaller but with all the same features. You'll like the vestibule and side entry design. Very easy and quick to set up and relatively light (even thought that wasn't part of your criteria). Last spring I had a trip that included about 24 hours straight of rain and wind and the tent stayed absolutely dry inside. I haven't sprayed it with any kind of water repellent, just used it as it came. Probably spent about a dozen nights in this thing so far and it's been great.
D&C 2002
AG
Forgot to add that you might want to use something a little different than the stakes it comes with. Those are probably just going to be 4-5" aluminum pegs and may not hold well in sand if there is much wind. The tent will stand on its own but you'll want to stake the corners and maybe use the tie down lines. I've never camped on the beach so others may have some suggestions on what style of stake or sand anchor to use.
Martin Cash
AG
Spent many a rainy night in my plain ol' Coleman tent from Academy and never had a drop of water inside.
CS78
Thanks. I have some all thread stakes about 18" long that I was planning to use.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Seek Outside Teepee with nest.. /OB Budget
Bird Poo
AG
If anyone is part of a Boy Scout troop, you can register with Alps Mountaineering. They offer incredible discounts to Boy Scouts and parents, up to 50-60% off. Usually clearance stuff they need to get rid of. Includes the lifetime warranty.
oldag941
AG
Just make sure you get a tent with a rain fly that goes all the way to the ground. Those half- rain flys suck. A little wind and they let rain into the screened windows. I bought a great tent at REI. Kelty. They run sales often and you can get a great deal. If you plan on 2 people, get a 4 person tent. Always 2 more than you plan. For fear etc. a vestibule or little canopy over the Rosie is key for muddy boots etc.
Missouri Boat Ride
AG
if any trees on the island, have you considered a hammock? lighter, easier, setup, arguably more comfortable. May have to set up a tarp awning directly adjacent for additional cover as well as a dry place to change, etc.
doctorAg13
AG
HarleySpoon said:

This thread brings back memories. Back in the late 60's and early 70's my family would sleep all six of us in a six person canvas tent. Not too many things in this world would make my dad angrier than one of us touching (accidentally or otherwise) the top portion of the tent when it was raining and watching it start to drip.
Reminds me of that Leave it to Beaver episode. The one time Eddie Haskell actually told the truth!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Gone Camping
AG
D&C 2002 said:

Good choice on the ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr. I have the 3 person and it's our main backpacking tent. The 3 person is great for 2 people - plenty of room for our sleeping bags and the vestibule makes space for our packs. The 2 person looks to just be a little smaller but with all the same features. You'll like the vestibule and side entry design. Very easy and quick to set up and relatively light (even thought that wasn't part of your criteria). Last spring I had a trip that included about 24 hours straight of rain and wind and the tent stayed absolutely dry inside. I haven't sprayed it with any kind of water repellent, just used it as it came. Probably spent about a dozen nights in this thing so far and it's been great.
I've had the Alps Mountaineering Taurus 2 for about 5 years and been in several 4-8" rain events. As long as you stretch the fly and use your groundcloth it's an awesome tent and stays dry. I usually camp solo and it's awesome for that and still light enough with the aluminum poles (cost extra but worth it) that I can backpack with it solo. My wife and I shared the tent on trek at Philmont last summer and two people is obviously more crowded but still reasonable, especially with the vestibule.
Several adults in our troop had these tents first and we liked them so much we bought them for all of our boy scouts to use. Alps has been revising the design so it's better with each newer model and is a solid tent.
I've only camped on the beach with it once and just put the stakes deep and it was fine.

AgDad121619
AG
Are you planning on using spring- fall only? Get full mesh tent with a rain fly or it will too hot to sleep in most nights. I got 3man cabelas XPG that is awesome

If you want something a little heavier get a 4 man Alaska guide tent - bought an 8 man 22 years ago for family trip to Yellowstone and it is still solid as a rock
BigO93
AG
I have 2 Eagle Scout sons & my 3rd son in scouts now. I've camped an average of 1x per month with them for the last 10 years. In my experience, it is best to buy a tent that has a rain fly that goes all the way to the ground. There are many options. REI closeout is a good place to look and find good 2-3 man tents with rainflies that go all the way to the ground. I use a Big Agnes 3-man backpacking tent that I've used for the last 4 years. It is lightweight and very weather proof. I've been through many rains & high winds and never had water in the tent.

Gig 'em!
DatTallArchitect
AG
AgDad121619 said:

Are you planning on using spring- fall only? Get full mesh tent with a rain fly or it will too hot to sleep in most nights. I got 3man cabelas XPG that is awesome
I believe that's the same Cabela's tent I have. It's a great tent (especially for the money)!

I love how these companies will market tents as 3 or 4 season tents. No tent is good for all 4 seasons. They are either good for spring through fall or good for fall through spring. LOL
ForeverAg
AG
Serious reply, have you considered just getting a high quality hammock? If trees are available, tarp your gear then just set up your hammock. I slept this way for a week with the Kuna Yala Indians off the coast of Panama a few years back.

Sleeping in a hammock was absolutely amazing sleep, especially if you go in the summer.
CS78
Set up.

txags92
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

AgDad121619 said:

I believe that's the same Cabela's tent I have. It's a great tent (especially for the money)!

I love how these companies will market tents as 3 or 4 season tents. No tent is good for all 4 seasons. They are either good for spring through fall or good for fall through spring. LOL
That totally depends on where you are camping. If you are camping somewhere that it doesn't get much above 75F during the day, you can easily use the same tent for all 4 seasons. Only becomes an issue in places where it get hot in the summer and you need more airflow to stay cool.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.